Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 69140 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #735 on: February 18, 2024, 08:57:16 PM »
Yze interview with Tim Watson on 7news this week (maybe even as early as tomorrow night).

Yes on Ch7 news tonight, they said it's on tomorrow (Monday)

Then there is an interview with Dimma on Tuesday
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #736 on: February 19, 2024, 06:32:49 AM »
Looks like a lot of players are knocking on the door for a game.
Will be interesting to see who is in the team for our first game

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #737 on: February 19, 2024, 09:09:50 AM »
Looks like a lot of players are knocking on the door for a game.
Will be interesting to see who is in the team for our first game

Think we will get a fair idea after the practice match next week against the pies

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #738 on: February 19, 2024, 09:34:49 PM »
After years of knock backs, Adem Yze is just weeks away from fulfilling his AFL coaching dream. Yze says he's not daunted following in Damian Hardwick’s footsteps and he's already making his mark at Punt Road. @timwatson32 #7AFL #7NEWS

Click on link/pic to watch:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1759485955713769899

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #739 on: February 19, 2024, 09:54:47 PM »
TBH the interview was a letdown

3 mins (if that) of nothing much

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2024, 10:08:02 PM »
You were expecting a deep dive from a segment on the news and Tim Watson? Was always going to be a shallow puff piece. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #741 on: February 20, 2024, 12:20:25 AM »
You were expecting a deep dive from a segment on the news and Tim Watson? Was always going to be a shallow puff piece. :shh

Um yep um
Um

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #742 on: February 20, 2024, 10:43:41 AM »
I heard on Sen that he’s starting to remove images of the  “dynasty “ era around the club .

2017 was 7 years ago - makes sense.
Unleash the tornado

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #743 on: February 20, 2024, 10:46:02 AM »
I heard on Sen that he’s starting to remove images of the  “dynasty “ era around the club .

Yeah , he talked about that in the video above

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #744 on: February 20, 2024, 11:06:47 AM »

Yeah , he talked about that in the video above

Yep, in the GR room (main meeting room) there was a photo of the 2017 premiership team celebrating on one wall. I'll be honest I'm not 100% sure what was on the other wall. But Per last night's not much story Yze had it removed. Also, looked like the Francis Boruke award winners honour board has been moved too.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #745 on: February 20, 2024, 09:19:34 PM »
‘Does this need to be in here?’: Tigers coach reveals ‘disrespect’ fears after bold premiership move

News.com.au
February 20th, 2024

Tigers coach Adem Yze has been praised over his bold move to pull down shrines to the club’s premiership dynasty since taking over at Richmond.

The rookie senior coach heads into the 2024 AFL season immediately under pressure to turn the Tigers around after the club slumped to 13th on the AFL ladder last year.

With Damien Hardwick, Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt all moving on, Yze has been tasked with beginning a new era at the club following its premierships in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

Yze was given the job after the recruitment process reportedly became a two-horse race between him and interim coach Andrew McQualter, following Hardwick’s move to the Gold Coast Suns.

The former Melbourne senior assistant coach has now revealed he has not held back in his decision to push the club forward.

One of the first moves he made was to take down some references to the club’s recent glory years, including one picture of the club’s drought-breaking 2017 premiership.

“I had the luxury of walking in and recognising different photos that are up that might have been (on the wall) for too long and things like that,” he told 7News on Monday night.

“It’s just like we need some clear air here.”

He said he received the support of the playing group’s senior figures before his decision to erase some of the memorabilia around the club’s Punt Round headquarters.

“Why is that in this room? That was six years ago,” he said of the 2017 photo.

“I felt like I was disrespecting people by saying, ‘Does this need to be in here? Can we can we move it? Can we get some blank walls?’ But like I said, the leaders bought into that.

“We had a discussion around it and it was time that that needed to be shifted and almost (covered up) like a fresh coat of paint.”

Demons legend Garry Lyon on Tuesday morning praised Yze for making the difficult call.

“I really like hearing that,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

“That was a long time ago. We’re never going to disrespect them. They’re our heroes. They’ll be hall of fame members for ever and a day. But lets put them over there with all the things we’ve achieved in the past. Lets leave room for something we can achieve in the future. I love that.”

Yze, who played 271 games for the Demons and was an All-Australian in 2002, started his coaching journey at Hawthorn in 2012, winning three grand finals in his first four seasons at the club.

He moved to Melbourne in 2020, before the Demons broke their 57-year premiership drought in 2021.

Yze said when he was announced as the club’s new coach in September that he is immediately pushing his players to make the top four in 2024.

“It‘s been three years since we’ve won a final, so there has to be a subtle change and hopefully I can bring that change,” he said.

“But the foundations of this footy club and the footy team are really strong. And I’m hoping to just bring my knowledge and experience of what I’ve learned … and bring my slant on the way that we should play so hopefully we can bounce back really quickly.

“I get huge upside on what other teams have done. GWS have gone from the bottom half of the ladder to a prelim … that’s what we are going to strive to do.

“I want the players walking into the footy club thinking they can make the top four next year. I can’t wait to get started.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/does-this-need-to-be-in-here-tigers-coach-reveals-disrespect-fears-after-bold-premiership-move/news-story/1be9e43a5243fa4eb75b6073387a3c93

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #746 on: February 21, 2024, 04:20:26 PM »
I have a good feeling about Yze. Not saying we will be world beaters but I think we will be hard to play against. A fresh voice is much better than having someone who’s been around for ages ( mcqualter )

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #747 on: February 22, 2024, 12:56:47 AM »
“EXCELLENT MOVE”: WHY AFL GREATS BACK YZE’S DECISION TO HIDE RICHMOND’S PREMIERSHIP ERA

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
21 Feb 2024

SEN Breakfast’s Garry Lyon is a fan of what Yze is attempting to do by clearing the slate.

He believes it is a step in the right direction so early in Yze’s senior coaching career.

“I really like hearing that,” the Melbourne champion said.

“That was a long time ago. We’re never going to disrespect them. They’re our heroes. They’ll be Hall of Fame members forever and a day.

“But let us put them over there with all the things we’ve achieved in the past. Let’s leave room for something we can achieve in the future.

“I love that.”

Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy had a similar view, referencing the flag-winning Hawthorn and Geelong teams of the very near past that future sides would attempt to emulate.

“I thought that was fantastic,” Healy said on SEN’s Sportsday.

“They are all about building new history. You can’t live in the glory of what’s gone, even though it’s still fresh and it’s not far away (that it happened).

“With a new coach it is time to turn the page and to worry about the future. There’s plenty of time to celebrate the greatness of the past, there’ll be a 10-year anniversary in a few years.

“For this group, and particularly the guys who didn’t play in those (premierships), is they don’t want to be talking about the greatness.

“That overhung Hawthorn for a long period of time, people trying to emulate the deeds of the great Hawthorn sides.

“I’m sure that it probably was reminded of the (Geelong) group under Chris Scott for a period of time. They won one and then they won another 10 or 11 years later, which was one of the great Grand Final victories.

“It’s a great move by Yze.”

Kane Cornes, who recently attended Port Adelaide’s 20-year premiership celebrations, agrees with Healy.

He described it as a bold and courageous decision which highlights Yze’s attitude towards creating his own history at the club.

“That’s what I thought as well,” he said.

“It looked bad because they had the pictures of it. They had the Channel 7 cameras in the lecture theatre and Chris Newman was up addressing the group.

“Adam Yze, he spoke on a whole heap of things, but that was the thing that struck me as well. About how initially when you’re a new coach, you feel like you’ve got to come in and do everything.

“Now that may be confronting for a couple of those premiership players that have been in the room and you go, ‘oh, hang on, what’s this guy doing coming in and getting rid of all that history?’

“But it’s not about history. History can happen in 5-10 years.

“I just caught up with the 20-year Port Adelaide players on Friday morning and it’s just as good. You don’t need those photos for the current group.

“In fact, I think it’s a little bit daunting when you are comparing the current group to that of the Richmond dynasty of the past.

“I thought it was an excellent move and a bold one and one that would have taken a little bit of courage for a new coach to come in and make.

“Tigers fans, your coach is impressive and that’s what you get, the insights, when your coach speaks.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/21/excellent-move-why-afl-greats-back-yzes-decision-to-hide-richmonds/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #748 on: February 28, 2024, 01:19:16 AM »
Richmond won’t be dull

Tim Miller
theRoar.com.au
28 Feb 2024

The jury is still out on whether the Tigers will be any good in Adem Yze’s first season at the helm, but if their two pre-season matches are anything to go by, they’ll always be worth a watch if you’re a neutral supporter.

The polish needs some work, but a run and gun, daring style is already beginning to form in front of us: Yze’s Tigers will be far more aggressive in their ball movement than in later years under Damien Hardwick and then under last year’s caretaker Andrew McQualter.

Richmond half-backs repeatedly were given licence to surge well up the ground to help create an overlap on the Collingwood midfield, with Daniel Rioli and Jayden Short especially streaming between wing and half-forward on the counterattack.

It’s little wonder Noah Balta, a premiership-winning defender and a staple in the Tigers’ back six for years, has been swung forward: incredibly quick for his size, strong as a bull and great overhead, he’ll be a nightmare running back towards goal for any opposition defender if and when Richmond get a fast break going.

The challenge will be in sanding off the rough edges, which will take time: the Tigers struggled to generate high-quality shots at goal in the first half, with an inaccurate 2.10 scoreline mostly down to needing to take shots from long range as their play developed too quickly for their forwards to get in position to capitalise.

Just five marks inside 50 up to midway through the third quarter, despite a comfortable lead in the inside-50 count, will also need to be addressed; sometimes, it felt like the Tigers were trying to move the ball too swiftly for their own good.

Equally, with high reward comes high risk, and the reigning premiers were only too quick to capitalise when the Tigers’ ambitious passing from defence occasionally came unstuck.

At worst, the Tigers will likely resemble a 2023 Hawthorn this year: the win column might be nothing to write home about, but they’ll be captivating to watch all the same as a mini-rebuild begins.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/02/27/afl-pre-season-notebook-de-new-brownlow-contender-tiger-journeyman-takes-chance-with-both-hands/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #749 on: March 01, 2024, 09:29:51 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column.

IF ...
Adam Kingsley last year took over a team which looked tired after several seasons of high-end ladder finishes and re-energised it all the way to a one-point preliminary final loss ...

THEN ...
the 2023 GWS story provides the hope and maybe even the blueprint for Adem Yze in 2024.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1080579/afl-sliding-doors-damian-barrett-if-there-are-loads-of-problems-at-the-demons-right-now-then