Author Topic: Richmond vs GWS @ Giants Stadium --- Round 12, 2023  (Read 5525 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond vs GWS @ Giants Stadium --- Round 12, 2023
« on: May 30, 2023, 02:26:38 PM »
AFL Round 12

Greater Western Sydney vs RICHMOND

Sunday, 4th June @ Giants Stadium

Start time: 1.10pm

Odds: (Sportsbet)

GWS         $1.72
Richmond  $2.13

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/4891

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs GWS @ Giants Stadium --- Round 12, 2023
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 02:39:32 PM »
Join us for a double header open training with @RichmondVFL in Sydney this Saturday!

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/football/open-training

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 05:28:12 PM »
Giants' dual reunion adds spice to crucial clash

By Daniel Garb
afl.com.au
31 May 2023

A DOUBLE reunion on Sunday provides an intriguing sub-plot for Greater Western Sydney's clash with Richmond as the Giants try and build on their famous win over Geelong.

The reception on and off the ground for 2019 club champion Tim Taranto at Giants Stadium for the first match-up with his former teammates will provide the main talking point come bouncedown.

GWS coach Adam Kingsley will also guide his side for the first time against the Tigers, where he was an assistant for four seasons, including the 2019 premiership campaign.

Along with the memories though, is a strong grasp of how Richmond plays, which Kingsley said may prove valuable as the Giants look to notch up back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

"It could be, I certainly understand how they play. The challenge for us is to transfer our knowledge onto the players," he said.

"I'm not sure if they've changed any element of their game plan under Andrew McQualter. The only thing I saw is they started Marlion Pickett on the inside in a run-with role. That would be different."

The threat of Taranto is obvious after his 33-disposal, four-goal game in the Tigers' loss to Port Adelaide on the weekend.

But what sort of reception he gets from the GWS faithful after he chose to depart the club for which he played 114 games will be of interest.

"I'd imagine the crowd will try and put him off and show their support for our players as they should. He's a high-quality player, obviously, and has been all season for them, he's one player we need to make sure we contain," Kingsley said.

"I'm not sure what the players reaction will be, they're all quite friendly but once the ball's bounced it's up against them and we'll do whatever it takes."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/940877/-he-kind-of-ruined-it-giants-dual-reunion-adds-spice-to-crucial-clash

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 07:59:48 AM »
Taranto's reception, really?

GWS had put themselves in a position where he didn't fit into their TPP lol

Taranto did them a favour walking out, Hopper too. They should concede two easy goals in the first quarter to say thanks for each one.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »
Yeah, 1500 GWS fans, most of who have no idea and  thought they were going to see an NRL game - TT will be shaking in his boots at the reception

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 06:33:32 PM »
Umpires this week:

Matt Stevic (9)
Hayden Gavine (14)
Brendan Hosking (16)
Simon Meredith (21)

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/4891#line-ups

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 06:34:34 PM »
Stevic   >:(
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 09:06:19 PM »
GWS v Richmond Preview

Andrew Slevison
SEN
1 June 2023

The Giants return home after a smash and grab job in Geelong last weekend.

They got the job done over the Cats in Toby Greene’s 200th game with the inspirational captain himself kicking four goals.

Adam Kingsley’s side has been more than competitive in 2023 with their 65-point loss to Collingwood in Round 9 the only match they’ve played in this season where the margin was over 21 points either way.

They meet a Richmond team that has similarly been competitive. The Tigers have lost two on the trot by just one point (to Essendon) and 10 points (to Port Adelaide), with the most recent being under interim coach Andrew McQualter following Damien Hardwick’s departure.

This presents as a fairly significant match for both sides given they occupy 14th and 15th positions respectively.

While neither the Giants or Tigers are being earmarked to play finals, four points would push the victor a little closer to the top eight and keep their hopes alive.

The home team has a massive dominance in this fixture (including GWS’ ‘home’ win at Marvel in 2021), winning 14 on the trot, which bodes well for the Giants. The Tigers haven’t beaten GWS away from Melbourne since 2014 so will need to buck a serious trend here.

Kingsley’s outfit has shipped the third most points so far this season, copping three scores of 100 or more against them in their last six, which also includes scores against of 92 and 86.

Richmond has struggled to find connection in attack over the last two weeks, returning 70 and 67, but their defensive game has been in better order.

It’s a genuine 50-50, but with ex-Giant Tim Taranto in stellar form, the Tigers might get the edge ever so slightly in a contest which could easily go either way.

Tip: Richmond by 8 points.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/01/who-will-win-and-why-the-predictions-and-tips-for-round-12-1/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 09:20:53 PM »
THE CERTAINTIES FOR ROUND 12

Andrew Slevison
SEN
2 June 2023

GWS versus Richmond

Taranto to have 25+ disposals, 3+ clearances, 3+ tackles

Tim Taranto has been outstanding for the Tigers this year, particularly in recent weeks.

In last week’s loss to Port, he had 33 touches, seven tackles, seven clearances and also kicked an equal career-high four goals.

This year for Richmond he averages 30.8 disposals, 6.9 tackles and 6.8 clearances.

Taranto meets his former club the Giants for the first time on Sunday and if the Tigers are to get up, they’ll need their prized recruit to fire.

We’re backing the former GWS best and fairest to pick up at least 25 touches, and we’ll throw in at least three clearances and at least three tackles into the mix for good measure.

Greene and Daniels to combine for 3+ goals

GWS captain Toby Greene booted four goals in his 200th game against Geelong last week.

He has now kicked 26 for the season across nine games and has kicked 10 in his last five against the Tigers.

Brent Daniels has only kicked two goals in five games against Richmond, but has found some scoring form of late, booting three against the Cats after two against St Kilda the week prior.

We’ll go with the Giants’ small forward pairing to kick at least three goals between them against the Tigers this weekend.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/02/the-12-certainties-for-the-rest-of-round-12/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 12:06:41 PM »
Kingsley intel key to GWS claiming Richmond AFL scalp

Justin Chadwick
AAP
3 June 2023

GWS and Richmond will battle it out for the unofficial "Kingsley Cup" when they lock horns at Giants Stadium.

Adam Kingsley spent four years as an assistant at Richmond and helped the club win two flags before being appointed Giants coach at the end of last season.

His intimate knowledge of Richmond's players could prove to be a crucial advantage in Sunday's match.

GWS defender Lachie Whitfield reckons the match holds extra significance for Kingsley, with the first-year coach even jokingly dubbing it the "Kingsley Cup".

"He's keeping it relatively low-key," Whitfield said.

"But you can tell there's a little bit of extra passion in his voice when he's been addressing the lads.

"He did mention it as the Kingsley Cup earlier in the week, so hopefully we can lift that after the game."

The match will also mark Tim Taranto's first match against the Giants since joining Richmond at the end of last year.

Taranto booted four goals from 33 disposals in Richmond's 10-point loss to Port Adelaide last week, and he looms as a key figure against his former side.

"Tim was a big part of our culture up here in Sydney. Everyone loved him," Whitfield said.

"He was one of the most favoured guys here. Seeing him depart was pretty sad.

"He's doing really good things at Richmond - he's probably been one of their best players.

"I know the (Giants) boys will probably be getting into him pre-game and during the game, and then we'll share a beer with him after the game."

Richmond caretaker coach Andrew McQualter is looking forward to going head-to-head against his good friend Kingsley.

"I love Kingers. I look up to him a lot," McQualter said.

"He's been great for me personally, and was great for our footy club.

"I still speak to him a lot. I haven't spoken to him this week. I look forward to the challenge."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/afl/kingsley-intel-key-to-gws-claiming-richmond-afl-scalp/ar-AA1c3AYs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2023, 12:18:47 PM »
As both AFL & VFL teams are playing in Sydney, the whole squad is heading up there.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1664800802425262081

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2023, 04:47:57 PM »
I booked for this game back in January  :-\

Boy have things gone pear shaped since then

At least we get to see 2 games  :rollin

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2023, 06:22:26 PM »
What’s your mood WP? We have a chance?
I reckon we are

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »
I reckon we are

Of course a chance
GWS are average at best

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2023, 07:29:27 PM »
I reckon we are

I don't know anymore

I thought we'd beat Essendon and we found a new way to lose

Thought we were a massive show last week and look what happened

I'm just so bitterly disappointed with what we've dished up this season I've decided to go into each round now with zero expectations

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)