Author Topic: Danny to resign early next week?  (Read 4309 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Danny to resign early next week?
« on: June 24, 2004, 02:19:29 AM »
Tiger coach could walk
By Mark Stevens
June 24, 2004

D-DAY for Danny Frawley is believed to be approaching, with speculation mounting the Richmond coach will announce his resignation early next week.

Frawley is still expected to be at the helm for the rest of the season, but there is a possibility he and the club will part company upon any announcement.

Any departure would be amicable as it is believed Frawley's relationship with the Tigers' powerbrokers is still strong.

If Frawley does walk away, assistant coach Wayne Brittain would be the obvious candidate to coach out the final nine games.

Richmond president Clinton Casey last night strongly denied a decision had already been made.

"That's all just speculation. I can't talk speak for Danny," Casey said. "From the club's position, nothing's changed. He's contracted until the end of the year."

Richmond star Matthew Richardson last night said Frawley had told him he would coach until the end of the season.

"I know he's a man who sticks to what he says," Richardson told Channel 7.

"I'm looking forward to playing under him for the rest of the year."

Frawley is understood to have come to the realisation he will not be coaching at Tigerland next year.

Now in his fifth year at Punt Rd, Frawley has achieved 45 wins from 104 games.

The contracts of all of the Tigers' assistant coaches - including Brittain - are aligned to Frawley's.

With all up for renewal at the end of the season, there are nervous months ahead for the football department.

Casey, along with football director Greg Miller and coaching legend David Parkin, is part of a sub-committee investigating coaching at Punt Rd.

"We're conducting the first part of the review - at the moment we're analysing essentially the last five years," Casey said. "We're looking at the areas of the footy department which have developed to the levels we'd expect, and ones which haven't.

"The outcome of that process would determine the skills of the person we think are required to take the football club to the next level.

"If that's Danny Frawley then that's great."

THE Bombers' greatest ruckmen predict Kevin Sheedy will see out his career with the club, reports Emily Power.

Paul Salmon and Simon Madden yesterday said they were confident the board would agree to extend Sheedy's contract for three years, and that he would not leave Windy Hill for Richmond if approached.

"I'm not sure it's a great idea (to go to Richmond)," Salmon said.

"Kevin as a coach is synonymous with Essendon."

Madden said: "For Sheeds to set Richmond up the way he'd want it, it would take him six, seven, eight years, the way it is. Is that good for him, is that good for Richmond? Probably not."

Bombers chairman Neil McKissock confirmed the board would discuss Sheedy's contract at a meeting tonight, but did not say when a decision would be made on the coach's future.

"We would expect to progress the issue because we obviously want to settle it as soon as we can," he said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9935989%255E23211,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Danny to resign early next week?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 09:37:02 AM »
D-DAY for Danny Frawley is believed to be approaching, with speculation mounting the Richmond coach will announce his resignation early next week.

Frawley is still expected to be at the helm for the rest of the season, but there is a possibility he and the club will part company upon any announcement.

Gee we've coverd all bases with that one haven't we  :-\ :P

If Frawley does walk away, assistant coach Wayne Brittain would be the obvious candidate to coach out the final nine games.

I think this is a good enough resaon for Danny to see out the season.

It is pretty obvious that a "care-taker" would be appointed. No proven coach would take it on mid-season. And we all know what happened last time a care-taker coach was appointed ??? :'( :'(

Don't want to go there again
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 11:16:07 AM »

I think this is a good enough resaon for Danny to see out the season.

Understand your thinking WP, but if Danny resigns himself to the fact that he won’t be coaching next year and feels he’d just be going through the motions by seeing things out to the end of the season, then I think having someone else take over could be a good thing.  Even if it is Brittain.

I’m not overly keen on having him as coach either, but it’s better than having someone see things through to the bitter end when the motivation just isn’t there.  Doesn’t do anyone any good, especially the players.

And we couldn't possibly go any worse than we are now, if he did take over, could we? :P

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:30:44 AM »
I hope casey's, millers and parkin's review stretch's back further than five years when considering Beck's history!!  ???

The sooner we have someone that knows what to look for in developing players the better.

Jackstar

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 01:15:47 PM »
You wouldnt want Britain to take over for the remainder of the year ,would you ?
I think not. ???

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 01:45:30 PM »
I hope Frawley does acknowledge that he will be leaving the club, but I hope he stays until the end of the season. There is no way in the world that I want Wayne Brittain getting even a sniff of being our senoir coach. What worried me about Parkin being on the committee for finding us a coach is the fact that Parkin is a Brittain man. Parkin in his demented way has actually got alot of time for Brittain as a coach (figure that one out) and may even be pushing for Brittain for the senior job (Im only guesssing here, but this is one of my nightmares) If we allow Brittain to get in there and he has some success during the rest of the season it could have disastrous consequences for us over the next few years until he too is off loaded.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Ox

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 01:54:05 PM »
Frawley leaves now and we cancel the rest of the season,finish bottom and score all the picks. ;)
Put the runts on roids for 4 months,that way they will test negative in 05.
Win / win situation.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 01:58:40 PM »
Understand your thinking WP, but if Danny resigns himself to the fact that he won’t be coaching next year and feels he’d just be going through the motions by seeing things out to the end of the season, then I think having someone else take over could be a good thing.  Even if it is Brittain.

I’m not overly keen on having him as coach either, but it’s better than having someone see things through to the bitter end when the motivation just isn’t there.  Doesn’t do anyone any good, especially the players.

And we couldn't possibly go any worse than we are now, if he did take over, could we? :P

Fair points TS but footy history tells us that when a coach is replaced the team performs, in most cases, better for whatever reasons. As I have said many times - think Jeff Geischen. We don't need that but it becomes a possibility no matter how remote if the care-taker wins 6,7 or 8 out of nine.

As for the players I would think the onus is on some of them to perform because they are playing for their careers. Who is coaching them to a degree becomes a non-issue because they are in affect "rehearsing" for their next coach who ever that may be.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 02:07:11 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »
Frawley leaves now and we cancel the rest of the season,finish bottom and score all the picks. ;)
Put the runts on roids for 4 months,that way they will test negative in 05.
Win / win situation.

Yes !!  Briliant !!

We can donate our premiership points to Hawthorn and get those pricks away from bottom spot.

The runts can start an early pre-season, perhaps in September and we can let the roids run free till about December.  Come Feb/March, with enough diahretics, there should be no traces.

Us supporter, with a 9 month break, will all become toey like a roman sandle.  Come Next March there will be a stampede of Tiger supporters frothing at the mouth.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 03:16:02 PM »
I don’t want Brittain as coach any more than anyone else.  This was based on if, and only if, Danny decides to go before Round 22 then someone will have to step in and I doubt it would be someone from outside.

Fair points TS but footy history tells us that when a coach is replaced the team performs, in most cases, better for whatever reasons. As I have said many times - think Jeff Geischen. We don't need that but it becomes a possibility no matter how remote if the care-taker wins 6,7 or 8 out of nine.

You’d like to think we’ve learnt our lesson from the Gieschen appointment WP and that, regardless of what happens and how many wins we have, we’ll go the right way around the next appointment.  We couldn’t possibly be that gullible to go down that track again.

As for the players I would think the onus is on some of them to perform because they are playing for their careers. Who is coaching them to a degree becomes a non-issue because they are in affect "rehearsing" for their next coach who ever that may be.

Decisions have probably already been made on some players by now.  And unless they do something extraordinary between now and season’s end, what they do from hereon in won’t make much difference.  I agree that for those who might be border line, it is up to them to perform, regardless of who the coach is.  Would make you wonder why they haven’t been able to do so up until now, if they suddenly found the magic formula for playing well.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 03:59:11 PM »
There is no way in the world that I want Wayne Brittain getting even a sniff of being our senoir coach. What worried me about Parkin being on the committee for finding us a coach is the fact that Parkin is a Brittain man. Parkin in his demented way has actually got alot of time for Brittain as a coach (figure that one out) and may even be pushing for Brittain for the senior job (Im only guesssing here, but this is one of my nightmares) If we allow Brittain to get in there and he has some success during the rest of the season it could have disastrous consequences for us over the next few years until he too is off loaded.

We shouldn’t need to worry that much Roderramjet.  Parkin is only on the sub-committee that makes recommendations about the next coach.  He doesn’t actually make the final decision of who the coach will be.  That is the responsibility of the Club.

Casey, along with football director Greg Miller and coaching legend David Parkin, is part of a sub-committee investigating coaching at Punt Rd.

"We're conducting the first part of the review - at the moment we're analysing essentially the last five years," Casey said. "We're looking at the areas of the footy department which have developed to the levels we'd expect, and ones which haven't.

"The outcome of that process would determine the skills of the person we think are required to take the football club to the next level.

A good starting point would be:

Priority Number 1: the ability to Coach.

Priority Number 2: the ability to develop players and help them advance through each stage of their careers.