Author Topic: Rate a Tiger's year - Ben Miller?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rate a Tiger's year - Ben Miller?
« on: October 05, 2023, 06:52:04 PM »
Next up is Ben Miller.

In his third season, Miller played 13 games out of a possible 23 to take his career tally to 25. It was year where he was in and out of the side. He started in the season opener but was omitted the following week. Miller then returned against Sydney in Round 5 and played 5 matches before being dropped for Dreamtime. He came back the following week against Port before being dropped again. Miller then returned just before the bye against St Kilda and played six straight games before omitted for the final time of the season after the Round 20 Melbourne loss. 

Season highlights
● 15 disps (6 kicks 9 hballs), 4 marks and 15 hitouts in the Rd 5 44pt-loss to Sydney at Adelaide Oval (Apr 14).
● 13 disps (8 kicks 5 hballs), 6 marks, 20 hitouts and a goal in the Rd 8 46pt-win over West Coast at the MCG (May 6).
● 12 disps (8 kicks 4 hballs), 3 marks, 4 tackles and 2 goals in the Rd 14 20pt-win over St Kilda at the MCG (Jun 17).
●   8 disps (5 kicks 3 hballs), 3 marks, 16 hitouts and a goal in the Rd 17 13pt-win over Sydney at the MCG (Jul 6).

Career stats to date:
          Games  Kicks   Hballs  Disposals  Marks  Tackles    G.B    Clear.   In50    Re50    GA
2021:     1       4.0       2.0         6.0        2.0       0.0       0.0     0.0      0.0      2.0      0.0
2022:    11*     4.6       3.7         8.4        2.7       2.6      3.0      0.7      1.2      2.3      0.2
2023     13*     3.8       3.5         7.3        2.4       2.1      6.3      0.8      1.1      0.5      0.5

* Includes 3 games subbed off.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-richmond-tigers--ben-miller
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-richmond-tigers--ben-miller

How did we all rate Miller's year?

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rate a Tiger's year - Ben Miller?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 07:53:51 PM »
I gave him a 5 as a pass mark because statistically he’s more or less the same as last year. I know he’s meant to be a defender but he looked pretty good the few times he drifted forward. I actually think he’s worth persevering with as a forward given our lack of options. I can’t remember which game it was but he was running forward he was being chased but he didn’t poo himself and calmly slotted it through the sticks. It was a level of poise that was rare for us this season.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 09:00:12 PM »
I gave him a 5 as a pass mark because statistically he’s more or less the same as last year. I know he’s meant to be a defender but he looked pretty good the few times he drifted forward. I actually think he’s worth persevering with as a forward given our lack of options. I can’t remember which game it was but he was running forward he was being chased but he didn’t poo himself and calmly slotted it through the sticks. It was a level of poise that was rare for us this season.

Same

Good summary
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 09:06:46 PM »

Same

Good summary

X2

And that beautiful goal was vs Saints in R14 I think

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 03:33:14 PM »
Got to settle him in a position first up.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 04:21:16 PM »
Gave him a 6 cos I have hopes for Ben.  I also like him forward & 2nd string ruck  but he can also go back & defend.  Good problem to have ...   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 07:35:12 AM »
He is 24 and has had 5 years in the system and his stats are not that impressive for a team that finished 13th. Maybe we will keep him while we bring on youth but he doesn't look like a long term player to me.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 08:13:34 AM »
I will say this again. Play him as a Midfielder. Preseason training as a mid will do him wonders. He is very good in close contested situations.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 12:20:28 PM »
I will say this again. Play him as a Midfielder. Preseason training as a mid will do him wonders. He is very good in close contested situations.
who does he replace in our midfield? When has he ever played as a midfielder? Wouldn't it just make sense to use him as a ruckman if he is so good around the ground?
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 01:15:37 PM »

Wing IMO

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 02:20:43 PM »
Times up for me. Has not shown enough on the field to warrant another contract. In a way as like all recruits he shows good traits but like so many has failed to step up and improve some traits into making him very good in one role..

The quintessential glass half full.
By that i mean like above   he is just okay in most roles but not good enough in any of them to make a position his.
Sadly the above is how i would  summarise  his career to date.

Cannot play #1 ruck. does not take enough contested marks, does not kick many goals and does not find enough ball and stay in games.  imo the thing that holds him back the most is a lack of intensity.

Drafted way back in 2017 at pick 63 and i would say he has plateued for the last 3 or 4 seasons.
The question that has to be asked is how long do we persevere for?

Gave him a 3 for effort.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 05:13:38 PM »
I love claw’s extremes of “play the kids at all costs” >>>> “this kid is the absolute worst delist asap”

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 06:34:21 PM »
wouldn't really call him a kid but I reckon he's decent depth at worst. Tend to agree with clawski that he's not really all that great in any particular role
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 07:01:39 PM »
6 years in, 25 years old. An example of a guy who I think we have just about seen his best.
If the new coach sees a role in that, keep him. Otherwise, he will no doubt get rookied as a back up ruck at somewhere like Port.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2023, 08:49:40 PM »
Didnt mihocek debut at 25? Ok maybe kid is a misnomer but I feel like his development has been stunted from covid and our forward mainstays of Riewoldt and lynch. He’s not gonna be the next John Coleman but for me he’s shown enough that it warrants trying to really settle him as a forward