Author Topic: Richmond's trade period rating?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond's trade period rating?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2023, 07:00:13 PM »
Trade report card: Every AFL club graded after hectic finish to 2023 exchange period

Ben Waterworth, Catherine Healey and Ben Cotton
Foxsports
21 October 2023

RICHMOND

Who left: Bigoa Nyuon (trade, North Melbourne), Ivan Soldo (trade, Port Adelaide)

Who arrived: Jacob Koschitzke (trade, Hawthorn)

Draft picks owned: 29, 41, 65, 68

Jon Ralph says: “They lose Ivan Soldo as the back-up ruckman, despite two weeks of denials. They get back Pick 41 and a future second rounder. It’s good enough to let him go if they can get a Scott Lycett as a back-up. Samson Ryan would need to step up (if not). It’s all about the young breed coming through.”

Leigh Montagna says: “They’ve still got so many players, high end talent at 24, 25 (years of age). You talk about (Noah) Balta and (Shai) Bolton, (Liam) Baker and even (Tim) Taranto, (Daniel) Rioli. They’ve still got a lot of guys that are still young enough to be a part of the next phase whenever that is for Richmond. It might be a bit quicker than you think. The Koschitzke one for me – he either just plays a role as a really competitive tall forward that Richmond have been used to bring the ball to ground and allow the smalls to play that style. The other thing to consider – I think Koschitzke would make a great key defender and I’d look at moving maybe a Balta or Gibcus as maybe a permanent forward to work alongside a Tom Lynch for a year or two and then take the reins.”

Foxfooty.com.au trade grade: C

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-grades-report-card-2023-afl-trade-news-2023-every-club-graded-deals-analysis-draft-picks/news-story/139a2f284a56664f44ddf3bd2b5a8eb1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2023, 06:32:01 PM »
I don’t believe in doing trades for the sake of it. Like Essendon always “wins” trade period but where are they now?
Dimma's comments on Essendoom being a bunch of spuds isn't news to anyone that pays attention. There is a reason they haven't won a Final in 6,987 days. But hey, they won trade period again so it's all good down at the Hangar...

https://twitter.com/Jonesracing82/status/1715919376174768494

:yep  :lol

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2023, 07:52:28 PM »
I agree with Tom Morris we just did not do enough despite holding a poor hand to start with.
Did we even look into finding a way to get back into the draft.
Plus despite Koschitzke coming we have gone backwards in a big way as far as addressing our tall stocks go.

We now are bereft of any cover at all if a key forward goes down and its similar with kpd's. To top it off we now lack ruck cover.
That is the tall situation in a nut shell.

The mids situation is not much better. Has any one stopped to look at not only the numbers but the lack of quality outside the few obvious ones.

Tom Morris rates our trade period the worst.

18 – Richmond

“I think the team that has performed the worst in this off-season so far is Richmond.

“I don't think they've done enough. Yes, they got a future second-rounder for Ivan Soldo.

“But I think for a team that should be regenerating on the run, they should have done more.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/19/tom-morris-trade-period-ladder-ranking-every-clubs-performance-from-1-to-18/

As opposed to the Cats who did one rubbish trade. Their list is older, slower and showing far more signs of fatigue than ours

I dont get it just because you dislike the cats so much it does not mean we are any better off. Similar situation id say when it comes to 24 and unders.

In fact at a guess i would say their 18 - 24 yr olds taken in the ND  were taken with mostly  better picks than us. Not that that means a lot.
 But  it should be some sort of guide to their chances of finding better quality than us with the ND picks they have used.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2023, 06:40:52 AM »
Cats have had 1 top ten pick and 3 in the top twenty in the past 3 draft.
We’ve had 1 and 4.

But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good bollocking.

Cats had the oldest list in the competition this year.

But again, facts and narrative can be mutually exclusive
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 10:14:51 AM by Hard Roar Tiger »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2023, 09:28:01 PM »
We’ve had 1 and 4.

Lol the last three drafts we have taken just 2 players in the top 20 Gibcus at 9 and Brown at 17.

Why stop after just 3 drafts why not the last 4 or 5 drafts. why just the top 20 lets get our super draft in there from 2021 and make it top 30 after all both clubs have had plenty of picks between 1 and 30. why not just list all picks for both clubs the last 5 seasons.   right you didnt do it because a full picture does not suit your narrative and  it makes us look bad.

Last 5 drafts

2018  Tiges  20 RCD, 43 Ross, 44 Martin, 58 Turner, 62 Turner.
2018 Cats    15 Clarke, 48 Jarvis, 50 Kennerley, 65 Fort, 68 Tarca, 74 Brownless.

2019 Tiges 21 Dow, 43 Cumberland, 58 Turner, 62 English
2019 Cats  16 Stephens, 19 DeKoning, 41 Evans, 50 Taheny

Last 3 seasons

2020 Tiges 40 Ryan, 51 MRJ,
2020 Cats  20 Holmes, 33 Neale, 47 Stevens.

2021 Tiges  9 Gibcus, 17 Brown, 28 Sonsie, 29 Banks, 30 Clarke.
2021 Cats  24 Conway, 25 Knevitt, 32 Willis, 48 Kroeger, 64 Whyte

2022 Tiges 49 Smith, 55 Greene
2022 Cats  8 Clarke, 52 Foster

Current 2023 picks
Tiges  29, 41, 65, 68.
Cats  8,  25, 76, 87.

Last point the last three seasons  Geelong have traded in 20YO Bruhn originally pick 12, 20 yo Ollie  Henry originally pick 17 and they stole pick #7 and 23 yr old Bowes originally pick 10. They also used good picks to get Cameron who would have gone top 5 id he was not already tied to GWS as an underage concession.

We have used picks to get 25yo Taranto originally pick 2. 26yo Hopper originally pick 7.

That shows the truth it also shows we are relying on just one draft  over 4 whole seasons to keep the club evolving.

They have used more draft picks than us and had better picks other than 2021.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2023, 09:53:41 PM »
C’mon Craw. That’s plain embarrassing. You rate Bruin? Bowe is as slow as a wet week.
I like Holmes and would pay that. De Koning went backwards last season - has had one good season in 4.

Trading in Olly Henry, Tanner De Bruin and Jack Bowe is a bit half pregnant. We kind of know nothing about them so I would personally take Taranto and Hopper who have a few extra years under their belt to observe and judge wtf we are trading.

I don’t know either side have nailed their drafting but I am far more optimistic about our 2021 draft but concede there’s a bit to play out in that draft for us.

To even attempt to say the Cats are doing a better job with back filling their senior list is actually laughable though
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2023, 10:28:24 AM »
I dont believe the conversation has had anything to do with quality 
What was said was  their kids were taken with mostly better picks than ours not that that means much.
That it should be some sort of guide to their chances of finding better players than us.
Imo our drafting has been worse than theirs especially the last three years going on four where we have basically embraced just one draft.

I threw in the trades to show they have traded for basically kids who were also taken with early picks originally. Unlike us who sold the farm on a 25 and 26 year old.

Despite paying a load form Cameron they have found ways to stay involved in drafts unlike us in recent years.

What i dont get is supporters are ready willing and able to put the boots into other clubs without stopping to think that maybe we have been worse.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2023, 12:04:02 PM »
This needs time to assess, but Richmond & Geelong have both experienced a lull after winning flags, Geelong are just 2 years behind us.  The next two years will show where they have got themselves to, they may well have sold the farm for a handful of magic beans.  Their youth will be exposed once Hawkins, Danger, Tuohy & Stewart are gone.  Cameron will be 33 soon.  That's when we will see what became of their one success in '22. 

We have some chance of recovering from our post flag lull with the youth we picked up in '21, but Geelong are now facing the real acid test.  Their '23 season was horrible so lets wait before declaring them the big winner out of the two clubs. 

At least we have 3 flags to show for our efforts, so far they have just 1.  Their time starts now, we have the runs on the board now they have to do better than us. 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 02:51:10 PM »
I dont believe the conversation has had anything to do with quality 
What was said was  their kids were taken with mostly better picks than ours not that that means much.
That it should be some sort of guide to their chances of finding better players than us.
Imo our drafting has been worse than theirs especially the last three years going on four where we have basically embraced just one draft.

I threw in the trades to show they have traded for basically kids who were also taken with early picks originally. Unlike us who sold the farm on a 25 and 26 year old.

Despite paying a load form Cameron they have found ways to stay involved in drafts unlike us in recent years.

What i dont get is supporters are ready willing and able to put the boots into other clubs without stopping to think that maybe we have been worse.

Why have a conversation about drafting if quality of recruiting isn’t part of the criteria?

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2023, 01:05:06 PM »
We’ve had 1 and 4.

Why have that conversation well this post really. You were talking about where players were taken nothing to do with quality.
I simply pointed out where both clubs have taken playersover the last 5 seasons. In regard  that they have done better than us.

Any one can see we have invested in just one draft in what will be four this year. I simply pointed out going by the criteria you set,  we have had just two picks  9 and 17 from the one draft in what will be with the coming draft 4 seasons.

I also made the point because your obviously obsessed with age and top 20 picks  that both clubs have traded picks for players taken  in the top 20 originally, remember your criteria of top 20.  The difference is Geelong traded for young players while we traded for older players.

Your the one who made it all about where players were picked i just pointed out they have taken more top 20  kids than us so if that makes them shizen what does it make us. Its not a hard concept to follow after all you set the criteria.

Are you happy with the last 5 years of drafting because if you take out 2021 we have hardly been involved  who has had the better process us or them regardless of end results who has given themselves the better chance of maybe finding a few decent players.