Author Topic: 2024 AFL draft  (Read 46382 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2024 AFL draft
« Reply #600 on: October 18, 2024, 05:45:49 PM »
Granger-Barass just got delisted by the hawks. Was pick 6 in the draft only 4 years ago.

Anyone ever see him play?

Might be worth a punt considering our key forward stocks, although there must be a pretty significant reason for the hawks to be cutting him given they don’t really have a kpf themselves other than Mitchell Lewis who has an injury record to match Lynchys.

Scumbaggers just picked him up..... :shh

He's crap IMO

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #601 on: October 18, 2024, 06:00:05 PM »
Granger-Barass just got delisted by the hawks. Was pick 6 in the draft only 4 years ago.

Anyone ever see him play?

Might be worth a punt considering our key forward stocks, although there must be a pretty significant reason for the hawks to be cutting him given they don’t really have a kpf themselves other than Mitchell Lewis who has an injury record to match Lynchys.

Scumbaggers just picked him up..... :shh

He's crap IMO

Dropped off badly the last couple of years but definitely showed promise early on - certainly more than Kosi ever did ...but then again so did Todd Banfield..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #602 on: October 18, 2024, 07:13:28 PM »
If I can't spit out his name then its a no from me.  Imagine screaming out "Granger-Barass, Granger-Barass goes bang!" ... nah ...    :P

Ohhh Carlton got him?  Well, they love a surname with lots of corners down there ... Koutafides?  Korkemelus?  Bosustow?  Whatever ...       :P
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #603 on: October 18, 2024, 07:51:07 PM »
If I can't spit out his name then its a no from me.  Imagine screaming out "Granger-Barass, Granger-Barass goes bang!" ... nah ...    :P

Ohhh Carlton got him?  Well, they love a surname with lots of corners down there ... Koutafides?  Korkemelus?  Bosustow?  Whatever ...       :P

Camporeale
Jesaulenko

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #604 on: October 18, 2024, 07:53:01 PM »

Camporeale
Jesaulenko

Petrevski-Seton  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online OneEyedRichmond

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #605 on: October 19, 2024, 09:29:25 AM »
Depending on who’s available at #6… should we be looking at GWS’ picks at 15,16,21 or others in this generational draft?
 :shh ;)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #606 on: October 19, 2024, 09:46:48 AM »
Depending on who’s available at #6… should we be looking at GWS’ picks at 15,16,21 or others in this generational draft?
 :shh ;)

No, I wouldn't.

Despite this being a deep draft I think it's critical to keep our 2 top10 picks.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2024, 10:16:22 AM »
No 1 and 6 are locked.

10 and 11 could be traded for next year first rounders if we miss Armstrong. and Reid isn't there as one of the late elite mids. Id take Shanahan with 11. Wouldn't be trading 10 in a good draft to anyone except NM, Eagles, Crows, Pies or GC.
Go Tigers!

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2024, 10:22:47 AM »
Reckon as soon as Kako is drafted the bumbers could put theirs or Melbourne's future first up for sale for a 2024 pick
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #609 on: October 19, 2024, 01:35:56 PM »
Popelords Mock Draft Picks 1-24:

Taken me a while, done my best to have a bit of a study of what club needs and their draft history. Watched a fair bit of the Under 18s and studying the combine, just an opinion. Feel free to weigh in. Just up to Pick 24, lets be honest what ever is after is irrelevant. I'm not bothing with the F/S and Academy players as they don't impact

Pick 1: Richmond
Finn O'SULLIVAN
182cm, Midfielder, Oakly, Vic Country[/b]
For a long time I rated Smillie and pick 1, and Mr Consistent Jagga Smith was next in line. Smith is the safe bet, but so is O'Sullivan but with a bigger ceiling on my opinion. I think in a way I prefer Jagga to handle the Pick 1 pressure as he's so consistent and won't cop criticism for poor games, but may not have blinders. Building to be the best team again I think O'Sullivan is our man. Lalor, really has only been in discussions as pick 1 post games and him getting injured has weirdly elevated him as a Pick 1 contender. He has attributes to be the best player in the draft, but unsure that happens with Pick 1 tag, especially off a bad hammy. Sadly I don't think we take the risk on him.
Reminds me of..  Scott Pendlebury

Pick 2: North Melbourne[/color]
Josh SMILLIE
194cm, Midfielder, Eastern Ranges, Vic Metro

Looking at their draft profile he just fits. Langford does too but I don't think Langford is a 1. There is a risk with Smillie in that he dropped away a bit and not making All Aus side was a huge red flag. North needs are down back, they could do a smokey and pick Trainor but I highly doubt at Pick 2. Their midfield is filled with classy users, they need a bull. Smillie is that. They could pick Lalor but I think Smillie is a better fit. Jagga Smith is a chance but he's very similar to LDU and Wardlow and with McKercher now getting midfield time with Daniel being drafted I think Jagga is same same for North. Smillie fit perfectly and in a way probably undeservedly goes Pick 2. Real smokey here is Alix Taura. North defense is rubbish and needs attention. List management wise they either have a few FA in mind over next 2-3 years to join them but stocks are so poor at the moment they could go Trainor and Tauru at 2. Lots of talk that they can get them later in the draft and could see them have our pick 10 for either of them and another pick so this pick will be fascinating to watch come draft night.
Reminds me of... Patrick Cripps

Pick 3: Carlton[/color]
Sam Lalor
187cm, Midfielder, Rebels, Vic Country

Blues wanted pick 3 for either Lalor or FOS. In a way hope they are both taken at pick 1 and 2. Lalor fills that whole that is now opened up from Kennedy leaving and improves them sadly. If Lalor and FOS are both taken before pick 3, can see them going for Smillie or Langord, think they also pass on Jagga as they have Cerra and Walsh who play that same role already.
Reminds me of...  (sigh) I guess Dusty..

Pick 4: Adelaide[/color]
Sam Draper
180cm, Midfielder, South Adelaide, SA

This kid is a jet, has got absolutely zero media apart from the weird rumour he didn't want to go to Adelaide because of Rachele treatment. I'd be fine with him at Richmond next year even at 1. Can not see Adelaide passing up the home boy especially when hes come out and said he'd be happy to go to Adelaide. They'll have watched him closer than anyone and in a dodgy midfield he plays round 1.
Reminds me of... Patrick Dangerfield

Pick 5: Melbourne[/color]
Harry Armstrong
195cm, Forward, Sandringham, Vic Metro

The hardest draft pick to predict. Melb are still in premiership window, they have bull of a midfield although under performing. They have absolutely zero forwardline and now Ben Brown has retired and have absolutely nothing Free agency wise to help them. I'm very nervous that Melbourne take Armstrong at 6. List wise, I can't see how they don't. They have absolutely no key forwards apart from Van Rooyen. I can't do a serious draft and look at lists without picking Armstrong at 6. We may come into play and do a pick swap to try and get Armstrong but I predict that Dees will really want Armstrong.
Reminds me of... Josh Kennedy

Pick 6: Richmond[/color]
Jagga Smith
181cm, Midfielder, Oakley, Vic Metro

I feel like I've stuffed this already with Jagga floating out to 6 but looking at list analysis, apart from us and Adelaide, none are in a market for a consistent accumulator, so somehow he may get to pick 6 which we chomp that off at the bit. Jagga gets to Tiges at 6 and we get our FOS and Jagga combo.
Reminds me of.. Lachie Neale

Pick 7: St. Kilda[/color]
Harvey Langford
190cm, Midfielder, Dandenong, Vic Country

Saints midfield is so poor, I can see them drafting 2 midfielders at 7 and 8 to help Steele. Langford is that bigger body to help Steele more and at Pick 8, I see them taking Reid who is class and Nick Dal Santo mould.
Reminds me of.. Patrick Cripps

Pick 8: St. Kilda[/color]
Murphy Reid

See above.
Reminds me of.. Nick Dal Santo

Pick 9: Melbourne[/color]
Luke Trainor
194cm, Midfielder, Sandingham, Vic Metro

Toss up between him or Tauru for Dees. They are happy to draft a gun kid when they have an experienced head at the club. Eg Jackson drafted when Gawn was there. May is 32 so they need to consider next Key Defender post May and it's a perfect time to draft an elite defender to learn off him and step in after a couple of years to develop nicely. With May injury history could debut in 2025 anyway.
Reminds me of... Jake Lever/Josh Gibcus

Pick 10: Richmond[/color]
Jobe Shanahan
194cm, Key Forward, Benigo, Vic Country

I really rate this kid. Has a bit of Balta about him. Really strong 1 on 1, elite on the lead for a big guy. Set shot accuracy is on point and has a 5 goal haul in the VFL. I'd love Armstrong and Shanahan at 10 and 11 but sadly I can't see Melbourne passing on him with 2 picks before this. Jobe may end up better than him anyway. Could argue he could be there at 18, which he may but with Armstrong gone I wouldn't risk it. We absolutely need 1 of them to start developing. Plus a top 2-3 in the draft key forward next year before Tassie comes in.
Reminds me off.... Joe Daniher (a consistent one)

Pick 11: Richmond[/color]
Tony Travaglia
187cm, Running Back, Bendigo, Vic Country

With Rioli gone and Short not really the same player, we have a hole in a running back. Can see TT coming to fill that exact hole and play round 1. Play a bit like McKercher has in his first year at Roos, taking kick ins and behind the ball.
Rmeinds me of... Hayden Young.

Pick 12: WCE[/color]
Bo Allen
191cm, Midfielder, Peel, WA

Eagles will be very very luck there stupid trade deals will land them with the player they want. I can see us drafting him over TT but I think our HB need is greater then an extra mid at this stage of the draft.
Reminds me of... Chad Warner

Pick 13: Port Adelaide[/color]
Taj Hotton
182cm, Mid/Fwd, Sandringham, Vic Metro

Bit of a hard one this one as Ports strategy has been a bit hard to read. Lost Houston, in a heap of dead wood. Back line is solid, midfield is too. Forwards and running back to replace Houston are areas of focus. Hotton is on the table to partner Rioli up forward. Absolute jet and steal at 13. Can't see him on table at 18 but will cross fingers on draft night. Port will rely on Farrell to fill that Houston spot full time.
Reminds me of.. Shai Bolton

Pick 14: Fremantle[/color]
Alix Tauru
193cm, Key Defender, Gippsland, Vic Country

Bit of a bolter but had an elite combine and back end to season. Huge development upside, could be top 10 and i reckon Melbourne would be sniffing. Freo defenders are iffy. Especially with Pearc injury history.
Remidns me of.. Sam De Koning

Pick 15: GWS[/color]
Xavier Lindsay
183cm, Midfielder, Gippsland, Vic Country

Classy, injured 2024. Was top 10 even top 5 predicted last year with Moraes, plenty happens in a year and that's not uncommon if form drops away but him sliding is injury based. Great get at 15 by GWS.
Reminds me of.. Zac Merrett

Pick 16: GWS[/color]
Jack Whitlock
200cm, Midfielder, Murray, Vic Country

Need a decent partner for Hogan, Jack slots in nicely as a 2nd forward. Could be Faull but I've rated Jack for a while and will take him marginally ahead.
Reminds me of..  Joe Daniher

Pick 17: Bulldogs[/color]
Joe Berry
180cm, Small Forward, Murray, Vic Country

Lost midfield depth, can't see them picking a tall forward. Joe Berry is on the table, they do have Coby Weightman so I'm coy to pick him but going off Hawks model having 2 elite small forwards is powerful. Hynes is a chance at this pick but educated guess Dogs may go for fire power and back their mids without Smith and Macrae like they did this year anyway. Sanders needs to break into that midfield as well.

Pick 18: Richmond[/color]
Jonty Faull
200cm, Key Forward, GWV, Vic Country

Big boy from the country, has a bit of development in him. Very happy to get 2 very good key forwards in the draft. Allows us to now explore some midfield depth as the picks in the 20s will have a few of these types of players.
Reminds me of... Taylor Walker

Pick 19: Sydney[/color]
Matt Whitlock
199cm, Key Back, Murray, Vic Country

unsure if Sydney back stocks stack up. Forwards they don't have anything really elite and Logan McDonald isn't developing and the rest are hit and miss. Backline is aging and with losing Patty McCartin I don't reckon they've really replaced him properly. Matt is a nice pick for them in that he could develop at either end of the ground for them.

Pick 20: Richmond[/color]
Cooper Hynes

Solid bodied midfielder. Reminds me a lot of Shaun Grigg actually, identical build and playing style. Like him and fits our mould nicely. May be off the table at 20 but certainly a nice pick up with this pick.

Pick 21: Sydney[/color]
Jesse Datolli
179cm, Midfielder, Dandenong, Vic Country

I'll confess didn't really impress me, but plenty of media around that he will go top 25. Watch him be a star and ofcourse Swans draft him.

Pick 22: GWS[/color]
Alex Dodson
203cm, Ruck, SA

Best ruck in the draft. He could go to us with our ruck stocks. Our history suggest we trade in our rucks instead of develop, going back decades. GWS lost Pruess and don't really have any decent young rucks. Think Dodson finds his way to GWS.

Pick 23: Richmond[/color]
Tom Gross
181cm, Medium Forward/Mid, GWV, Vic Country

We need forwards and Gross is a bit of a Caddy type. With some small forwards coming on and the rookie draft proving helpful in this spot for us. Medium forwards are lacking, especially now Bolton is gone and ofcourse Dusty. I can see Gross playing round 1 as a plucky half forward. Be a tough ask but its certainlty a need on our list and he's a fine player and well worthy of a pick in the low 20s.
Reminds me of... Josh Caddy

Pick 24: Richmond[/color]
Christian Morares
183cm, Midfielder, ER, Vic Metro

Was tipped to be top 3 pick after last years draft when he was bottom age. Some were saying pick 1. Not a great sign to slide down by this much, but I'd take the risk at 24. He will go top 30 and could get an absolute player in the 20s that will be hailed as a masterstroke in years to come.

So.. a couple of things I learnt. We need to pray and cross fingers Melb pass 2 picks on Armstrong, if they do I reckon he gets to 10.
Would love Hotton but think too many clubs will have a look at him before our Pick 18. If he's there very very lucky.
Need to hope Whitlock or Faull are there for pick 18 if Armstrong is taken early so we can walk away with 2 key forwards. I'd be amazed if this isn't our strategy at the start of a rebuild.
Other random thoughts are pick 6 could be anything depending on what we do with NM and pick 2, or if they draft who they draft is tricky. Melb first pick is a huge unknown as well so be interesting who that is as that'll shape our picks 10, 11 hugely.

Feel free to pick away at it, just a guess and very likely to be wrong. I'd love to be wrong and somehow find FOS and Lalor with our first 2 picks. Unsure how that happens but be fantastic in my eyes. Would also love Armstrong and Shanahan at 10, 11 and the Hotton late with Hynes and Moraes.

Bring on draft night!
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #610 on: October 19, 2024, 05:04:59 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2024, 05:05:44 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2024, 10:42:07 PM »
Not sure key forwards are going to be high on our agenda.

Cmon people we have an abundance of tall forwards. The question is about quality. We dont know what we have with a couple of them.

The thing is we do not need to take a tall at say 10 if there are higher rated mids there.

The most glaring single list deficiency by some margin is mids with pace and power. The next deficiency is running players with pace good decion making and good ball use.

If we look at quality alone and each position then we need players for all positions. But mids is it.

Key Forwards on our list this has been done numerous times.

Lynch - we are lucky to have him. Just a quality player and will be a great mentor for our tall forwards.

Kossie - well not so good but he fills a role atm. He is the fodder while we develop some juniors. On Juniors then we are talking

Fawcett. - Have had a few looks at this kid thru what i can get he has some damn good traits i would not be surprised if he does not get some games next year. He may surprise a few.

Lefau - won't see him to mid year probably. He is a lovely size and he sure goes at it.

Gray - Another who looks promising and may develop into a player. Plenty to work with.

Okay the problem is the quality part so imo we need this year just the one good pick on a key forward. The following year we can do what is needed after seeing what we have. This scenario means the numbers are great but a question over the quality.

Tall defenders well we have two very good ones in Gibcus and Balta. The defensive cornerstones are in place imo. And atm there is plenty of back up. Blight, Miller Young. we could do with another quality kid to develop but it is an area that can wait for a season or two. If we cop an injury to Balta/Gibcus  we have  big mature  bodies  we can throw in for now.

This coming draft is deep and it is full of quality mainly mids. If our draft picks stay the same then 1, 6, and 10 has to be a complete mid rebuild the talls available here apart from one maybe two are not worth taking here.
At 1 im going with Lalor.  6 the best mid left it may be Jagga or Draper who knows. At 10 this guy i have grown to like more and more, i reckon Allen here and at 11 Maybe a tall if  still there.  there is only two talls id take here. Failing that im seriously thinking one of Hotten, Lindsay and Travaglia if there.
18 Take the best available tall. 20 back to mids just load up with them. 23 another mid or need and last pick 24 take another tall if warranted.

we have picks 18 and 20 this is where id be looking for a tall or maybe two. Like the mids the group of talls is very even across the board  going by all reports.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #613 on: October 20, 2024, 12:27:15 AM »
Not sure key forwards are going to be high on our agenda.

Cmon people we have an abundance of tall forwards. The question is about quality. We dont know what we have with a couple of them.

The thing is we do not need to take a tall at say 10 if there are higher rated mids there.

The most glaring single list deficiency by some margin is mids with pace and power. The next deficiency is running players with pace good decion making and good ball use.

If we look at quality alone and each position then we need players for all positions. But mids is it.

Key Forwards on our list this has been done numerous times.

Lynch - we are lucky to have him. Just a quality player and will be a great mentor for our tall forwards.

Kossie - well not so good but he fills a role atm. He is the fodder while we develop some juniors. On Juniors then we are talking

Fawcett. - Have had a few looks at this kid thru what i can get he has some damn good traits i would not be surprised if he does not get some games next year. He may surprise a few.

Lefau - won't see him to mid year probably. He is a lovely size and he sure goes at it.

Gray - Another who looks promising and may develop into a player. Plenty to work with.

Okay the problem is the quality part so imo we need this year just the one good pick on a key forward. The following year we can do what is needed after seeing what we have. This scenario means the numbers are great but a question over the quality.

Tall defenders well we have two very good ones in Gibcus and Balta. The defensive cornerstones are in place imo. And atm there is plenty of back up. Blight, Miller Young. we could do with another quality kid to develop but it is an area that can wait for a season or two. If we cop an injury to Balta/Gibcus  we have  big mature  bodies  we can throw in for now.

This coming draft is deep and it is full of quality mainly mids. If our draft picks stay the same then 1, 6, and 10 has to be a complete mid rebuild the talls available here apart from one maybe two are not worth taking here.
At 1 im going with Lalor.  6 the best mid left it may be Jagga or Draper who knows. At 10 this guy i have grown to like more and more, i reckon Allen here and at 11 Maybe a tall if  still there.  there is only two talls id take here. Failing that im seriously thinking one of Hotten, Lindsay and Travaglia if there.
18 Take the best available tall. 20 back to mids just load up with them. 23 another mid or need and last pick 24 take another tall if warranted.

we have picks 18 and 20 this is where id be looking for a tall or maybe two. Like the mids the group of talls is very even across the board  going by all reports.

Where did all this positivity come from about our KPFs?

Normally I'd think you'd be bagging the crap out of them, no offense intended.

Lynch - injury prone and close to if not already cooked.
Kosi - battler, you summed it up, mind you I think he's not bad in the ruck and a potential 3rd tall/ruck relief.
Fawcett - time will tell, accomplished nothing so far.
Lefau - agree with your assessment.
Gray - see Fawcett

Bauer - yeah I think it's that med-tall like JR but from the op shop.

Brown - reckon at 193cm and with his kicking he should be kept forward for a go.

Ultimately it's very likely that Lynch will be injured, Kosi will struggle as our primary option, Fawcett won't break into the team, Lefau will miss half a season then battle honorably, Gray will get a debut and maybe kick a few before being dropped again

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #614 on: October 20, 2024, 12:30:10 AM »
Yes and then we'll have pick 1 again..... :shh

- Thomas Sowell