Author Topic: ‘Music to our ears’: Breakout Tigers line up in Yze revolution (HeraldSun)  (Read 1433 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Music to our ears’: Breakout Tigers line up in Yze revolution

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
28 November 2023

There might not be a complete game plan overhaul but things are very different at Punt Road under Adem Yze. And the Tiger cubs might be the ones to benefit. See who – and why.

Richmond half-back Sam Banks says the Tiger cubs are revelling in coach Adem Yze’s “licence” to take the game on as the club’s youngsters attempt to break into the senior side next year.

Banks is one of five Tigers taken within the first 30 picks of the 2021 national draft and while all have had a taste of regular action, they form a critical core of Yze’s aim to regenerate the Tigers list.

Banks is a running half-back who could break out in 2024 and joins centre half-back Josh Gibcus, running half-forward Judson Clarke, midfielder Tyler Sonsie and half-back Tom Brown from that draft class.

He says that crew should also include that year’s mid-season selection Jacob Bauer, whose 2023 season included two VFL match-winning goals then a hamstring injury only minutes into his impressive AFL debut.

The Tigers will be desperate to get full seasons out of Banks’ housemate Tom Lynch and triple-Norm Smith Medallist Dustin Martin.

But, in many ways, the medium-term future is all about the next wave of talent, with No. 29 draft pick Banks putting aside injuries to be handed six senior games at the back-end of his second year.

“Yze has changed a few things. There are no major changes, but it’s just a different energy and buzz to the group,” Banks said.

“Kosi (Jacob Koschitzke) has been training and Sam Naismith has come across from Port Melbourne and they were both here on the first day.

“We have got a bit more licence and confidence to take the game on. That is the biggest thing. The game plan won’t change a heap, It’s just a confidence and willingness to take it on.

“It is music to our ears. We will defend first and our defence sets up our offence but (Yze) has been speaking about challenging our opponents in offence. For players like me it’s great to take it to heart. To not be afraid if you miss a kick and if you do, just move on.”

Banks endured wrist surgery in his first pre-season then a hip operation leading into his second, so has thrived on a clean bill of health as a large group of Tigers trained three times a week together leading into the official start of pre-season.

After playing 17 games on a wing in the VFL, he found his start at half-back but acknowledges it is a tough defence to crack into.

“I played pretty much wing the whole time I have been here and then halfway through the year I went to half back and played some of my best footy there and got my taste (of AFL) at half-back. I had a chat to Yze and he said it will be pretty similar next year. I just have to keep learning.

“He has been great with his relationships straight away and he’s massive on connection with the group. It’s not only him but also Chris Newman and Jack Ziebell. ‘Ziebs’ is fresh out of the game so there is a lot of energy around the group.”

Banks on the kids from the 2021 national draft​

Pick nine Josh Gibcus: “Gibbo has a well-known interruption with his hammy but he’s been off to Qatar with the physio for treatment and he’s back and training really well. He has put on size as well and he’s ready to put his best foot forward.”

Pick 17 Tom Brown: “Tom got a taste of it. He debuted at the end of last year.

“He hurt his wrist early last year and it set him back but he sat down with coaches like Kane Lambert and Ivan Maric and did some work on the mental side of the game and seemed like a new player.

Pick 28 Tyler Sonsie: “Tyler Sonsie is in really good nick. He ran a really nice time in the 2km time trial and he’s got unbelievable skills so he’s ready to take another step.”

Pick 30 Judson Clarke: “Juddy got injured at the end of last year but he’s come back in really good nick as well.”

Mid-season draftee Jacob Bauer: “Jacob can play both ends of the ground. He has had a big off-season and ran a really good time for a key position player. He had a hamstring niggle early but he’s fully fit and he can be a good asset forward or back.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-preseason-news-richmond-defender-sam-banks-on-adem-yzes-new-game-plan-and-2024-breakout-contenders/news-story/fb9c4e0438bff4637b3c770ccdc80ee6

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Future captain - already engaging with the media and has all the platitudes down pat... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.