Author Topic: Kayne Pettifer  (Read 2415 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Kayne Pettifer
« on: June 24, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »
Pettifer settling-in down back
3:20:13 PM Thu 24 June, 2004
Nick Hulett
Sportal

Amidst the wreckage of Richmond's 4-9 opening to season 2004, Kayne Pettifer appears to be providing the Tiger faithful with a reason to be hopeful.

The 22-year old, who was taken with the eighth pick in the 2000 National Draft, has taken time to make an impact in his first three years at the top level, managing just 27 appearances in between stints with Richmond's VFL affiliate, Coburg.

But coach Danny Frawley has shown plenty of faith in Pettifer, and with strong performances in the backline against Fremantle and Carlton in the past two weeks, the Tigers' patience might just yet be rewarded.

"I've been struggling a lot, but it was good to get a couple of touches and do okay. Going down to half back has been alright for me", he told afl.com.au.

"As a junior I was a forward, but with Richo kicking all the goals I've sort of struggled a fair bit there. I started off alright, but the last couple of years I couldn't get near it and went back to the VFL.

"Danny's given me a good opportunity there and I'd like to thank him for that. It's good of him and the coaching staff to give me the opportunity back there.

But Pettifer, who enjoyed a career-high 19 disposals against the Blues, is under no illusions as to what is required down at Tigerland.

"Over the last couple of weeks we've had patches where we've slumped but hopefully after the break we can put a four-quarter effort together and get one on the board and have a win.

"Against Carlton, we were a little flat footed and waited for them to do it and then we sort of got on the front foot and thought - 'well let's just go out and play and take a few risks'.

"I don't know how many goals we kicked in a row, but we got a bit of a sniff and there were a few stages there where we could've kicked a couple more, but we missed and they went down and kicked the goal which was sort of a two goal turnaround.

"It was catch-up footy after half time and it's pretty hard to do when you're 7-8 goals down.

"It was a bit of a positive for myself, but when it comes down to it you want to win the game of football."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=156694
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Re: Kayne Pettifer
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 05:40:05 PM »
Just goes to show how bereft of positives we are at the moment that we even have to give Pettifer a write up.

Don't get me wrong, he's been good the last two games, and I hope it continues, but goodness me.....

Look for next week's article "Rodan set to secure midfield position", after Rodan gets 10 touches and kicks a goal agaisnt Brisbane.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 05:53:19 PM »
Has Pettifer only played 27 games?

seems like he has been around for ever? I bet half of those games spud had him running off and onto the bench or just sitting on the pine losing confidence

maybe there is some hope in this kid afterall??

hmmmmmmmmmmm keep up the form kid otherwise I'll start bashing you again  ;D
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 06:32:12 PM »
PRR Kayne's played 32 games now. The figures in the OER player profiles are up to the end of 2003.

2001  7
2002 10
2003 10
2004  5*

You can see why he's been maligned. It's taken him 4 seasons to show a glimpse in the last couple of matches of what's required at AFL level. Like you say PRR most have been on and off the bench or stuck in a forward pocket although he's been lucky to get a game through most of his career when compared to others. Also taken 4 seasons for Danny and the coaching staff to try him away from the forward line!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 06:57:45 PM »
In all those games i wonder how many minutes he's played.  Would have spent a lot of time on the bench.  Needs to spend the rest of the season on the ground so "we" can monitor his improvement or not.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 08:39:44 AM »
In "the eye of the tiger" section of the RFC website, Pettifer is the latest player to be "interviewed" by Gaspar.

He actually mentions that he knows he has to play well this year if he wants to stay at the club because he is coming out of contract and he's been there a fair whil now
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)