Author Topic: Preseason game 2024 - Richmond vs Collingwood @ Princes Park, Tues. Feb 27.  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Preseason game 2024 - Richmond vs Collingwood @ Princes Park, Tues. Feb 27.
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2024, 10:34:47 PM »
I was at the game and there were patches where we looked fantastic

Other times we looked 2nd rate. Our over the top handballing was the killer IMHO

As always I'll be interested to see what the replay shows promise on some cases doesn't

Wallace-era Hospital stuff....Handball game only works when running in waves and we weren't...... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2024, 11:26:31 PM »
Just got home after the game.

A few take aways:

- Gibcus and Naismith brilliant positives. If anything these pros outway any negatives from a game in Feb. Gibcus game alone.
- Dusty looks up for it, made some awful errors trying silly things but it's Feb. Polish will come.
- Grimes played fairly well, which last year didn't look likely. Would love for him to finish a career on a high.
- Love the fisty stuff at end on Cox. He started it and deserved being roughed up. 7ft Jane.
- Forward line structure remains an enormous concern. It's raw and new so has a fair bit of leniancy but it's our biggest area of improvement. Lynch back will be enormous as we have said for 12 months. Issue is he is unlikely to be here in 3+ years time.

A game in Feb vs Premiers the result is meaningless. Good to see some slick passages of play. Long way to go.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2024, 05:32:50 AM »
Bit of perspective guys we're in a rejuvenation period with a new coach not going happen right away.Yze would have learned heaps from the second half very beneficial. In saying that we got to do the basics right in respect to footy skills and hitting targets there not negotiable.Some old players who got a game still got there bad habits.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2024, 07:28:35 AM »
I doubt the senior players cared.

Just going for a run.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2024, 08:16:00 AM »

A few take aways:

- Gibcus and Naismith brilliant positives. If anything these pros outway any negatives from a game in Feb. Gibcus game alone.
- Dusty looks up for it, made some awful errors trying silly things but it's Feb. Polish will come.
- Grimes played fairly well, which last year didn't look likely. Would love for him to finish a career on a high.
- Love the fisty stuff at end on Cox. He started it and deserved being roughed up. 7ft Jane.
- Forward line structure remains an enormous concern. It's raw and new so has a fair bit of leniancy but it's our biggest area of improvement. Lynch back will be enormous as we have said for 12 months. Issue is he is unlikely to be here in 3+ years time.t u

A game in Feb vs Premiers the result is meaningless. Good to see some slick passages of play. Long way to go.

Seeing Gibcus jumping for marks, landing and then bouncing straight up is great to see. Also, seeing him running hard is fantastic.

Hard not like Naismith, has agro but it's controlled (Nank take note), isn't a tortoise when he moves, not bad below the knees for a big bloke, a lock for OR versus GC

Yes, the 2nd half was average but for a praccy game where we are trying to bed down a new style of play the result wasn't a surprise.

Think I've posted it a few times the over use of handball was the killer
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2024, 09:03:28 AM »

A few take aways:

- Forward line structure remains an enormous concern. It's raw and new so has a fair bit of leniancy but it's our biggest area of improvement. Lynch back will be enormous as we have said for 12 months. Issue is he is unlikely to be here in 3+ years time.t u

Seeing Gibcus jumping for marks, landing and then bouncing straight up is great to see. Also, seeing him running hard is fantastic.

Hard not like Naismith, has agro but it's controlled (Nank take note), isn't a tortoise when he moves, not bad below the knees for a big bloke, a lock for OR versus GC

Yes, the 2nd half was average but for a praccy game where we are trying to bed down a new style of play the result wasn't a surprise.

Think I've posted it a few times the over use of handball was the killer

Being at the game, what did you make of the spread of our mids ? Watching it we just looked so slow with Dow appearing to be the only one with a bit of agility about him. You can only have so many the likes of Hopper, Taranto, Graham, Prestia in your team

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2024, 07:50:20 PM »

Being at the game, what did you make of the spread of our mids ? Watching it we just looked so slow with Dow appearing to be the only one with a bit of agility about him. You can only have so many the likes of Hopper, Taranto, Graham, Prestia in your team

Have to say I think we didn't get the centre square set up right most of the time. You highlighted the issue, the spread was strange. IMV you can't have Taranto, Prestia and Hopper at centre bounces at the same time. Graham didn't take many centre clearances. Which I'll confess confused me after it worked the week before, so drop him out of the conversation. Dusty didn't spend as much time in there as been hyped he would.

If the set ups we saw last night is what we're planning for the season proper then we are going to struggle. We clearly lack pace and if we are going to over use handball to clear then the struggles are going to be magnified
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:07:55 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2024, 07:53:12 PM »
Graham had precisely zero clearances last week so not sure exactly how it "worked".... :shh

We have a few quicker players on the list now and should be playing everyone who's not named Hugo as much as possible...  :shh :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2024, 09:24:48 PM »
Graham had precisely zero clearances last week so not sure exactly how it "worked".... :shh

We have a few quicker players on the list now and should be playing everyone who's not named Hugo as much as possible...  :shh :shh

0 tackles as well

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2024, 09:38:18 PM »

0 tackles as well

Last night or last week?

I thought there were no individual stats after the match simulation against the Demons?

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2024, 09:56:07 PM »

Have to say I think we didn't get the centre square set up right most of the time. You highlighted the issue, the spread was strange. IMV you can't have Taranto, Prestia and Hopper at centre bounces at the same time. Graham didn't take many centre clearances. Which I'll confess confused me after it worked the week before, so drop him out of the conversation. Dusty didn't spend as much time in there as been hyped he would.

If the set ups we saw last night is what we're planning for the season proper then we are going to struggle. We clearly lack pace and if we are going to over use handball to clear then the struggles are going to be magnified

I just said Graham too because he has similar drawbacks to those players. I suppose my worry is I’m not even sure you can have hopper and Taranto together. 1 extractor like
Taranto, 1 classy player like dusty and one fast run and spread player like Dow ( wish we had a better option ) sort of like Mitchell, de goey and daicos or Oliver, petracca and viney

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2024, 11:14:16 PM »
But tarranto is meant to be fast though right? He comfortably won our 2km. I guess his kicking inside 50 got criticism so they’re wary of him playing outside mid but surely with his tank you’d find a way to make it work?

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #103 on: February 29, 2024, 01:08:41 AM »
Taranto is far from the ‘slow’ player he is being made out to be. He is perfectly capable of bursting out of packs and spreading for a handball receive.

I do think that our midfield would work best with more or less always having 1 of dusty or bolts in there. Don’t see why that can’t be done either, they can just both rotate with each other through the midfield and forward lines.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: February 29, 2024, 07:17:13 AM »
Taranto is far from the ‘slow’ player he is being made out to be. He is perfectly capable of bursting out of packs and spreading for a handball receive.

I do think that our midfield would work best with more or less always having 1 of dusty or bolts in there. Don’t see why that can’t be done either, they can just both rotate with each other through the midfield and forward lines.

That's why I was confused on Tuesday night.

We were told that Dusty was going to be mainly mid-field this year, that's what we've been told. So why didn't he start there more often? We were told Shai would have bursts so that played out as expected. But the lack of Dusty at centre bounces was for me at least perplexing