Author Topic: Tigers trialing Balta up forward again/ Contenders to take Riewoldt's spot (SEN)  (Read 1007 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TIGERS TRIALLING DEFENDER UP FORWARD AGAIN AS LEADING CONTENDERS EMERGE TO TAKE RIEWOLDT'S POSITION

Seb Mottram
SEN
15 January 2024

Noah Balta is spending time forward this pre-season as Richmond looks to cover looming holes inside 50.

Balta, 24, is a versatile 194cm prospect who has spent much of his 85 games in defence. However, it’s understood the Tigers and new coach Adem Yze are considering a move for the premiership defender to cover the likes of Jack Riewoldt and potentially Tom Lynch.

“It didn’t stick in 2022, it might not stick this time but I wonder, with a new coach coming in, if Adem Yze has seen something he’s willing to stick with,” Sam Edmund said on SEN Breakfast.

“He’s been training as a forward for a large part of the pre-season, if not all of it… we know he can pinch hit in the forward line, but I wonder if this is the year.”

It’s a similar move to what played out at the beginning of 2022, with Balta starting that season forward before heading back behind the ball.

Following Riewoldt’s retirement and uncertainty surrounding Lynch’s return from a foot injury, Balta – who kicked eight goals in the first three games of 2022 – looms as an option up forward.

The Tigers also recruited Jacob Koschitzke from Hawthorn in the off-season, with the 23-year-old primed for a spot in Yze’s best 22. Samson Ryan presents as another option, kicking 12 goals in 14 games in 2023 while also rotating in the ruck.

Despite Balta’s aerial ability and strong frame, Kane Cornes isn’t convinced he’d prove a winning move inside 50 for the Tigers.

“I like him back. It will depend on Josh Gibcus. We all really like the pick and what we saw early days, but he just hasn’t been able to get right,” the Port Adelaide great added.

“Is Balta just going to play there until Tom Lynch gets back? Is it a stop-gap until he comes back?

“Or are they not confident in Koschitzke and Ryan? There are questions everywhere for Richmond, there are so many holes in the list… this is the price you pay for success.”

Cornes isn’t the only commentator tipping the Tigers for a lowly finish in 2024, with the likes of Josh Jenkins and more also foreseeing a bottom four finish.

Richmond has revitalized its coaching ranks following Damien Hardwick’s departure, with Chris Newman and Jack Ziebell joining the fold alongside Yze.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/01/14/tigers-trialling-defender-up-forward-again-as-leading-contenders-emerge-to/

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Even if he doesn't make it full time as a tall forward Balta becomes a weapon in being able to play at both ends

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
I'd like him as a forward if he can make it.

The defensive pressure we saw last year was frightening.

Can Young, Gibcus, Grimes and Broad manage the backline? Young would need to go up a notch as our guerrilla defender and Gibcus would need to be the more mobile one.

Heck if Brown can become the new Grimes role we might be set down back.

If Lynch can return to form, Kosi can play a role and Balta can have an impact we might actually be OK at the bookends.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Even if he doesn't make it full time as a tall forward Balta becomes a weapon in being able to play at both ends

If he does not make it at either end this year then trade him to #lolnorf for Zurharr and one of their compo picks

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders

If he does not make it at either end this year then trade him to #lolnorf for Zurharr and one of their compo picks
he's twice the defender that Zurharr is a forward.

Probably the worst football post I've read this year
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....

he's twice the defender that Zurharr is a forward.

Probably the worst football post I've read this year

Will be a restricted free agent next year anyway - wouldn't need to trade unless Norf match the bid... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

Croatian SOS
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.