Author Topic: New look forward line  (Read 571 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
New look forward line
« on: February 18, 2024, 05:02:48 PM »
Balta, Koschitzke and Bolton worked well up forward

Noah Balta has made the move forward following the retirement of Jack Riewoldt and the absence of Tom Lynch.

He moved well around attacking 50 and after a few early errors turned his game around to be the most dominant forward on the ground in the first half, booting three goals.

He created a dangerous triumvirate of forwards alongside recruit Jacob Koschitzke (two goals) and Shai Bolton (four goals).

Balta and Koschitzke both looked dangerous in the air with Bolton, who also had a few runs in the middle, doing the work at ground level.

Youngster Steely Green also played well. He kicked two goals and was busy around the feet of the talls.

- By Andrew Slevison & Zac Sharpe

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/18/the-key-takeaways-from-melbourne-v-richmond-practice-match/

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: New look forward line
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 10:14:54 PM »
Hmm new look fwd line. When Lynchy returns then i think it needs to be along these lines and it does not include Noah.

FF Bolton - Lynch - Bauer.     Yes Bauer is a stretch.
HF Sonsie - Kosi  - Campbell.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 06:29:08 AM »
Claw your in 2 minds you been saying for a while play Balta as a key forward and now you have changed.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »
Claw your in 2 minds you been saying for a while play Balta as a key forward and now you have changed.
think his reasoning is down to Grimes. Probably thinks the backs need Balta more than the forward line will when Lynch returns.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 10:18:10 AM »
think his reasoning is down to Grimes. Probably thinks the backs need Balta more than the forward line will when Lynch returns.

I think Gibcus, Broad , Young and Miller can cover that with Grimes I think he will get limited games.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 04:32:26 PM »

Yep have said as much.
Georgie I  Have no faith in Miller ever finding consistency not that he has shown  much  anyway. Atm for me its Miller or Young and because Young has shown an ability to keep opponents in check he has the gig.

Broady well he just aint a KPP and yes at times in need he has been asked to play there and done okay. Same as Grimes i think he has by far played his best footy for us playing on smaller thru similar sized players. Again he has played kp but usually its been a need rather than choice. Besides i think Grimesy is shot and should have retired.

Young is a very limited player, his one wood and the reason we play him is he can defend a player quite well.
Of quality there is only Gibcus who plays a great intercept game but is coming off a serious injury and time out.  i think he should play third tall instead of Grimes because of the time out of the game  and Balta plays kp with young.

I still think Bauer showed a fair bit of promise and he would make a great third tall forward  to give us more height and marking with Koschitzke and Lynch when he gets back he is also a good mover over the ground.

Injuries will determine a lot but if all are fit the above is what i prefer we do. If Lynch or Kosi get hurt then we will have no option but play Balta fwd.
Also if Gibcus gets hurt again then Balta will have to play back.

I just wish we had a real promising junior kpf in development  other than fawcett and i would not mind a genuine kpf  mature recruit as well.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 06:05:47 PM »
Tyler Young can play FB. He’s a lock - whether we like it or not.
Gibcus is the key, CHB and hopefully one who can defend and attack like some of those contemporary defenders in the AFL like Harris Andrews and Steve May.

Broady will have to take the 3rd tall. He tips Grimes out of that back six.
Then it’s Vlastuin who might swap roles with Broady depending on match ups with Short and Rioli across the half back line.

There is no spot for Grimes and we don’t need Balta back there providing Gibcus is good to go.

We have little depth in key backs, I wouldn’t trust Ben Miller as a back up to Young and it’s robbing Peter time if Gibcus goes down and hello Noah.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 10:24:02 PM »
 :facepalm
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.