Author Topic: The top ten Richmond Tigers players of the 21st century (Zerohanger)  (Read 557 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The top ten Richmond Tigers players of the 21st century

Are these the best ten names to have called Tigerland home this century?

Zero Hanger
February 20, 2024

Throughout the final years of the 1990s, AFL clubs across the land looked backward rather than forward, with selectors, historians and superstars converging to name their Teams of the 20th Century.

So, as we near the quarter-time mark of the 21st century, what better time to run the rule on which players are likely to feature when the selectors of tomorrow get together in several decades' time?

While every club has an array of deadset legends that can be called on, we here at Zero Hanger have employed the following rules of selection:

* Only statistics recorded and achievements accrued since the start of the 2000 AFL season will be acknowledged.

* All statistics and awards must have been accrued while playing for the club in question.
* Any player selected must have played at least 100 senior games for their respective club since the start of the 2000 AFL season.

Next up, we head to Punt Road to run a rule over the top ten Tigers of the century.

1. Dustin Martin (2010-present)
1 x Brownlow Medal (2017)
1 x Leigh Matthews Trophy (2017)
3 x Norm Smith Medal (2017. 2019 and 2020)
2 x best and fairest (2016 and 2017)
4 x All-Australian (2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020)
3 x premiership player (2017, 2019 and 2020)
289 games, 24.6 disposals per game, 328 goals, 1.1 goals per game, 212 Brownlow votes, 0.7 votes per game

Who else was it going to be, really?

Not only is 'Dusty' the greatest Tiger of this century, one could make an easily sound argument the hybrid gun with the neck tatts is the best player from any club to have laced a boot since 2000.

2. Jack Riewoldt (2007-2023)
3 x Coleman Medal (2010, 2012 and 2018)
12 x leading goalkicker (2010-2018, 2020-21 and 2023)
3 x All-Australian (2010, 2015 and 2018)
347 games, 787 goals, 2.3 goals per game

If the Coleman Medal is the key forward's equivalent of the Brownlow Medal, then Jack Riewoldt is without doubt one of the greatest spearheads of the century.

With three Colemans and an even dozen club-goalkicking gongs, 'Mr. Brightside' has very little company when it comes to earning a spot in Richmond's top side of the 21st century.

3. Trent Cotchin (2008-2023)
1 x Brownlow Medal (2012)
3 x best and fairest (2011, 2012 and 2014)
1 x All-Australian (2012)
306 games, 22.5 disposals per game, 148 Brownlow votes, 0.5 votes per game

In the storied history of the Richmond Football Club, only four names have captained the Tigers to multiple flags, with only one doing so on three occasions: Trent William Cotchin.

Across the course of 16 seasons at Tigerland, the hard-nosed gun from Reservoir took on all comers and conquered the lot, collecting just about every award on offer.

4. Alex Rance (2009-2019)
1 x best and fairest (2015)
5 x All-Australian (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018)
1 x premiership player (2017)
200 games, 5.7 marks per game, 3.2 rebound 50s per game

For the better part of a decade, Rance was not only the finest defender on Richmond's roster but, perhaps, the best in the competition.

Although the Western Australian would miss the final two of the Tigers' three flags after hanging up the boots to pursue matters of faith, it is fair to say that Richmond's recent run of September success may have looked more than a little different had Rance never called Punt Road home in the first place.

5. Matthew Richardson (2000-2009)
1 x best and fairest (2007)
8 x leading goalkicker (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008)
1 x All-Australian (2008)
163 games, 426 goals, 2.6 goals per game, 87 Brownlow votes, 0.5 votes per game

For more than a generation, Matthew Richardson was the Richmond Football Club, with members of the Tiger Army rolling through the turnstiles en masse to see what the enigmatic forward had up his sleeve.

While some may have 'Richo' higher on this list, it bears remembering that a sizable portion of the Tasmanian's best work was completed in the 1990s.

Still, few will ever forget Richardson's come-from-the-clouds Brownlow run in 2008 after trading his forward 50 haunt for life on a wing.

6. Brett Deledio (2005-2016)
2 x best and fairest (2008 and 2009)
2 x All-Australian (2012 and 2015)
243 games, 182 goals, 22.8 disposals per game, 75 Brownlow votes, 0.3 votes per game

While he would depart Tigerland before Richmond's rebuild would pay dividends, Deledio's arrival at Punt Road with the first pick of the 2004 AFL Draft acted as the first shovel in the soil.

A hyper-talented midfielder for seasons on end, it seems a cruel irony that Deledio was made to fall by the wayside and then watch on as Richmond edged his Giants in the 2017 preliminary final before choking them out in the big one two years later.

Few gave more to the Tigers' efforts during the early years of this millennium - a fact that real heads will never forget.

7. Joel Bowden (2000-2009)
2 x best and fairest (2004 and 2005)
2 x All-Australian (2005 and 2006)
207 games, 23.5 disposals per game, 4.4 rebound 50s per game

A leader from the front despite calling the backline home, Bowden was perhaps the prototype for the modern rebounder, with his thrusts forward often taking a decidedly attacking tinge.

While the second-generation Tiger would never salute in September during his days at Punt Road, Bowden would find successive in public service after being elected to the legislative assembly in his native Northern Territory.

8. Dylan Grimes (2010-present)
1 x best and fairest (2021)
1 x All-Australian (2019)
229 games, 3.85 marks per game

Whether flying gracefully, spoiling strongly or simply tangling his opponent up in a mess of limbs, Grimes proved to be an impenetrable force for the vast majority of the Tigers' three-flag run.

Still leading the way at Punt Road, the next generation of Tiger stoppers could do worse than shadow the former skipper for the rest of his days in yellow and black.

9. Shane Edwards (2007-2022)
1 x All-Australian (2018)
303 games, 17 disposals per game, 2.6 clearances per game, 2.6 inside 50s per game

While rarely gilded himself, Edwards' cog proved integral in the Tigers' recent golden run, with the South Australian directing traffic effortlessly from his post ahead of the ball.

Keen on a goal, setting them up, extracting the ball or a tackle or two, 'Shedda' earned his place in the heart of every Richmond fan for never once giving up, nor giving in.

With his place in the Tigers' coveted 300 Club cemented for forever and a day, Edwards' legacy is set to live on for generations.

10. Dion Prestia (2017-present)
1 x best and fairest (2019)
117 games, 23.9 disposals per game, 46 Brownlow votes, 0.4 votes per game

Although Prestia would cut his teeth at the Carrara preparatory school, it was at Punt Road that the 'Meatball' would hit his peak.

When fit, the former first-round draftee is prone to firing for the Tigers, with the veteran averaging just shy of 22 touches a week throughout 2023, his 13th season at league level.

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-top-ten-richmond-tigers-players-of-the-21st-century-147639/10/

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: The top ten Richmond Tigers players of the 21st century (Zerohanger)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 10:14:12 PM »
3 time premiership player Nick Vlaustin would have to be slightly miffed to see Deledio making the top 6 ...     :P
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 11:05:41 PM »
3 time premiership player Nick Vlaustin would have to be slightly miffed to see Deledio making the top 6 ...     :P

Deledio is the one you have a problem with??

Bowden LMAO

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 09:18:21 PM »
Love Jack, but if you swapped timelines Richo would have kicked 1500 goals and Jack 400.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 10:00:52 PM »
I’d take Kane Lambert over Deledio and Bowden any day.

Our drop off almost coincides when injuries took a toll on him .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 10:09:51 PM »
Love Jack, but if you swapped timelines Richo would have kicked 1500 goals and Jack 400.
What? Are you saying Richo kicks 1500 in this era and Jack only just averages over a goal a game in a higher scoring period of the games history? Or do you mean Jack kicks 400 in Richos time in this stat?

Either way richo ain't kicking 1500 and i love tje man
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 10:19:40 PM »

Bowden LMAO

I’d have Jacob Townsend ahead of them both
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 10:21:14 PM »
I’d take Kane Lambert over Deledio and Bowden any day.

Our drop off almost coincides when injuries took a toll on him .

Lambert and Shedda (his last season not fit) were the architects of our forward handball game which started to fall away dramatically when they finished
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 11:07:30 PM »

Bowden LMAO

I’d have Jacob Townsend ahead of them both
I don't think it was of any coincidence that trading out Deledio opened a door to premiership success.  Not just a one-off fluke flag but a changing of the culture & an entire era of success grew. 

Joel Bowden was a terrific talent & 300 games shows how he was regarded, but his era was one of constant failure & disappointment, so I think he was lucky to make the top ten too.
I loved Towny as well ... he bought some biff & tough to the club ...         
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 11:00:01 AM »
What? Are you saying Richo kicks 1500 in this era and Jack only just averages over a goal a game in a higher scoring period of the games history? Or do you mean Jack kicks 400 in Richos time in this stat?

Just my opinion but with the way the game is umpired these days, the stand rule, 6-6-6 and the way we moved the ball in Jacks prime, Richo would have been a man playing against kids. No disrespect to Jack, great forward in a great team era but I’m my opinion, not the footballer Richo was.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 12:05:52 PM »

But I think Jack was a better team man, the number of times Richo used to spoil Jay Schulz was pathetic
Just my opinion but with the way the game is umpired these days, the stand rule, 6-6-6 and the way we moved the ball in Jacks prime, Richo would have been a man playing against kids. No disrespect to Jack, great forward in a great team era but I’m my opinion, not the footballer Richo was.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2024, 01:23:27 PM »

I like comparing him to Lloyd
That weak prick kicked 900+ copping it lace out.
Richo kicked 800 in a poo side.

Could only imagine how that would have sat roles reversed

I’d suggest 1200 Richo and 600 Lloyd

I really feel for Richo, the great man copped a shocking era for the Tiges

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2024, 03:21:19 PM »

I’ll pay that. If curnow is winning Colemans with 78, peak richo in current rules is kicking 100

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2024, 04:47:07 PM »
Lloyd was a dead eye in front of goal.

Richo less so.

But agreed richo would have kicked more and Lloyd less