Author Topic: Cheerleader or coach? Adem Yze has a decision to make (Age)  (Read 940 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cheerleader or coach? Adem Yze has a decision to make

Kane Cornes
The Age
July 11, 2024

Adem Yze appears to be more a cheerleader than an AFL senior coach.

With Richmond’s fall from powerhouse to last on the AFL ladder now complete after just two wins in 17 rounds, the honeymoon is over for the first-year coach. It’s clear Yze is desperate to be liked by his players and is afraid to publicly hold them accountable for unacceptable performances.

The first warning sign of Yze’s soft approach came after Richmond were annihilated by 91 points against the Western Bulldogs in round nine. After consecutive defeats of 43 points against Melbourne and 54 points to Fremantle, it would have been reasonable for Yze to criticise his players and send a message that meek performances would not be acceptable. Standards need to be set early in a new coaching regime.

Surprisingly, Yze appeared satisfied with his players’ efforts.

“I just spoke to our players about our effort, and I can’t fault our effort. The boys are trying. It’s like they are trying hard ... I’ve said this over and over that we can’t fault the effort; it’s just the execution and our tackle technique,” Yze said post-match.

This struck a concerning tone. Players could believe the coach was happy with their endeavours in a 91-point loss. It was not a shock that this disaster was followed by a season-high 119-point loss to the Brisbane Lions. At half-time, the score was 13 goals to two. The Richmond players had given up.

What did Yze expect after he had lowered the bar a week earlier? He had become a booster – and was slapped in the face for his cheerleading.

Yze’s approach contrasts sharply with that of successful coaches who don’t shy away from demanding the best from their players, even if it makes them unpopular.

The best coaches are respected, not necessarily liked, because they hold their teams to high standards. They push them to maximise their potential. Yze’s apparent fear of alienating his players seems to have created a lack of accountability. The result is Richmond’s dismal standing.

Former New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick won six Super Bowl trophies with a demanding and sometimes brutal coaching style. This approach is detailed by former players in the documentary Dynasty, which explores the highs and lows of the Patriots across a 20-year period. No matter what the score was, Belichick cared more about the things they were doing poorly than what they were doing well. He never let them get ahead of themselves.

“Most of the coaches in the NFL are coaching football, but he’s coaching warfare,” says former player Donte Stallworth. In a rare recorded team meeting, Belichick lived this theme.

“Now look,” he says, “I’m not saying we are in a war here, but I’m just telling you, understand how one stupid play, one stupid penalty, one mistake, ends it for us all.”

This ruthless style may not resonate with today’s more sensitive generation, but most successful AFL coaches have a hard edge. They are not looking to make friends with their players.

Geelong coach Chris Scott and Sydney’s John Longmire would not dare praise their players’ effort after a 91-point smashing.

Three-time premiership coach Damien Hardwick did not spare his Gold Coast players after the four-point loss to North Melbourne: “It’s my job as a coach to sit there and demand better because at the moment we’re capable of beating the premiership favourites last week and then this week we let ourselves down.”

Hardwick put it all on the table: “I’m angry, to be fair. As a footy club we’ve got to grow the f--- up to be perfectly honest.”

After a 51-point loss to Fremantle in the same round, Yze approach was the polar opposite: “I just spoke to the players around their effort, I couldn’t doubt their effort... We never turned our toes up, even the way we finished the game. I thought we were equal [for] inside 50s and time in the forward half, things like that. I thought we played the right way, even through [there’s] some frustration, but yeah their polish was just too good.”

This suggests the coach is too comfortable with mediocrity.

In another poor look, Yze celebrated a Shai Bolton goal in jubilation with his players on the bench. He is not a supporter. He is the coach and needs to act like one.

The Tigers’ next five seasons will be painful as they rebuild their list.

They need a coach who will drive them hard, hold them accountable, and refuse to accept anything less than their best. They need a coach, not a best friend.

Rebuilding coaches seldom last more than five seasons. Yze has no hope of bucking the trend unless he changes his approach.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/cheerleader-or-coach-adem-yze-has-a-decision-to-make-20240710-p5jsfk.html?js-chunk-not-found-refresh=true

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cheerleader or coach? Adem Yze has a decision to make (Age)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 07:30:32 AM »
Hard to argue with the majority of that. There's only one part I disagree with but that's a discussion for another day

I've walked away from so many games this year questioning effort and get bloody peeved when Yze says he can't question their effort

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2024, 07:47:24 AM »
I’m not sure why I’d read the opinion of a bloke who is clearly an enemy of the club, and I didn’t

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2024, 07:59:38 AM »
There are certainly signs of player efforts being off the mark. But those signs were there last year too. A shift is needed in attitude within the playing group. And the coaches probably need to lead the this shift. What worries me the most is that I am seeing complacency in the younger group at times also. That is a cultural problem that takes tough leadership to eradicate. For these reasons I am also concerned about our captains. 

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 08:01:54 AM »
As a club overall it feels like we are happy with ourselves a little too much.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 08:29:25 AM »
Cornwit is a stuffwit

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 08:53:58 AM »
Hard to argue with the majority of that. There's only one part I disagree with but that's a discussion for another day

I've walked away from so many games this year questioning effort and get bloody peeved when Yze says he can't question their effort

WP what's your take on our senior players this season  ? . I reckon there is lucky 3 or 4 who have been performing and putting in. Personally they have let Yze down and some look checked out or relying on the kids to carry them

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 10:49:37 AM »
lol at those in the media who have never coached at any level criticising an AFL coach and how he addresses the media. These muppets just love stirring the pot hot for something to bubble over.
If Yze berated players in public parts of the media would report that he’s out of touch and lost the playing group.

I’d be concerned if what’s being said behind closed doors mirrors what’s said to media.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2024, 07:25:27 PM »
lol at those in the media who have never coached at any level criticising an AFL coach and how he addresses the media. These muppets just love stirring the pot hot for something to bubble over.
If Yze berated players in public parts of the media would report that he’s out of touch and lost the playing group.

I’d be concerned if what’s being said behind closed doors mirrors what’s said to media.

Exactly

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2024, 08:31:02 PM »

Get your point but coming out publicly and saying you can't question effort after a 90 odd point thumping and again after a 20 goal drubbing wasn't smart.

There were IMHO opinion other things he could have said without berating them per se.

Let's not forget in pressers they just aren't talking to the media, they're actually talking to us the members, supporters and fans too. And as a member to hear after those losses he couldn't question the effort was disgraceful

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2024, 08:44:17 PM »

WP what's your take on our senior players this season  ? . I reckon there is lucky 3 or 4 who have been performing and putting in. Personally they have let Yze down and some look checked out or relying on the kids to carry them

I think with some the 30 or 30+ year olds simply the games got quicker and they got slower and the cliff has come very quickly

Some are probably are being shown up now that they don't have the superstars around them. In our glory years certain player had set roles. They didn't need to "star" they just had to play their role. That isn't enough anymore and they've been found out

I also think because of our injuries there are some who are playing out of position or positions that don't suit their strengths

Overall I think too many have been getting games based on past glories have not been made accountable for their efforts and are coasting.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2024, 09:03:29 PM »
Watching the Collingwood game on air tonight - McCrae coaching from the bench, celebrating with his players when things go well, back patting with bum taps here & there, generally being in touch with his playing group & keeping the vibe up …. 

I guess it’s ok if it’s the right club doing it ….   
 :-\

Yze has more need to do it than McCrae has ….   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2024, 09:43:01 PM »
Watching the Collingwood game on air tonight - McCrae coaching from the bench, celebrating with his players when things go well, back patting with bum taps here & there, generally being in touch with his playing group & keeping the vibe up …. 

Sorry but this is off the mark.

McRae was quite critical of his team after a recent loss.

He is positive in general yes, but also knows when to be firm.

Yze was still praising effort after 15 goal floggings.

Does he have the balls to be tough when needed? We’ll see…

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2024, 10:21:26 PM »

I agree all of the thinking posters think this.
Of course the boot lickers wiill find something to defend him and the club.

I laughed at comments about if he is actually having a say at selections. Now im hoping like mad that those people saying it are correct.

There really is no long term vision and acknowledgement of where we are at. There is no consistent anything that he may be trying.
The opposite simple things change week from week. The only constant back in seniors who will not take us anywhere.

I suppose you have to first recognise the need for full on rebuild and Yze has shown zero sign of that. I suppose that is what happens when you are dictated to by an invested footy dept.

Its been 10 years bring back the review mob i say.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2024, 10:24:13 PM »

I think it’s a lot easier to be McCrae than it is to be Yze at thie moment.  Yze is trying to keep the positivity coming when so many things are going wrong (injuries, etc). 
What coaches do & say while on camera has nothing to do with what they do & say behind closed doors.  Surely Cornes knows that too, so why write such a rubbish article?   It’s damned if you do, dammed if you don’t ….   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!