Author Topic: Noah Balta charged with assault  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Wazza

  • Jack Dyer medallist
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Noah Balta charged with assault
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2025, 06:02:49 PM »
Can someone help me out with a question about this case? I just read an AFL article about AFL house allowing balta to play before sentencing from the courts. The article also says that Balta had settled the case. So my question is - does Balta still have to go to court for sentencing even though he has settled with the man he assaulted prior to this court date?
Hope that makes sense.

Article here on AFL website.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1291140

Offline WilliamPowell

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 40720
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Noah Balta charged with assault
« Reply #211 on: April 01, 2025, 06:28:19 PM »
Can someone help me out with a question about this case? I just read an AFL article about AFL house allowing balta to play before sentencing from the courts. The article also says that Balta had settled the case. So my question is - does Balta still have to go to court for sentencing even though he has settled with the man he assaulted prior to this court date?
Hope that makes sense.

Article here on AFL website.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1291140

Yes he still has to face the court for sentencing in the criminal matter

The settlement is in relation to the civil matter.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Wazza

  • Jack Dyer medallist
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Noah Balta charged with assault
« Reply #212 on: April 01, 2025, 10:08:21 PM »
Thank you.
I thought it would be over. But there U go. Another few weeks to wait.

Offline one-eyed

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 99103
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Noah Balta charged with assault
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2025, 12:08:17 AM »
‘Exactly what he told us had happened’: Coach addresses vision of Tiger’s alleged assault, selection stance

Tyler Lewis
Newswire/Foxsports
April 2nd, 2025


Richmond coach Adem Yze has reinforced his stance on Noah Balta’s return from suspension, saying the Tigers aren’t “going to change our verdict”.

Balta is serving the final match of a six-game ban after he was charged with assault in January.

The 25-year-old has pleaded guilty and will face sentencing in Albury Local Court on April 22.

Balta is available for matches against Fremantle and Gold Coast between the end of his suspension and his sentencing.

Yze doubled down on Wednesday on whether Balta would play before his court date, declaring “it’s going to be nice when he’s available”.

“The AFL was part of the process when we sanctioned him; six weeks is a long time for a player to have out,” he said.

“Not only the six weeks suspension, he’s been dealing with this for three months. He’s been doing extras at training, community service, helping around the footy club.

“He’s earning the trust and respect back not only from his team but his club, he’s hating not being out there.

“The fact that it’s out in the media now – it happened in January. He’s been dealing with that for a long time, so we’re not going to change our verdict.

“We’ve worked with the AFL and we’re really clear on that. It’s going to be nice when he is available.”

Yze again defended Balta when asked to detail his reaction to footage of the assault.

He said Balta had been clear on the event, which led to no shock when the video emerged.

“It was exactly what he told us had happened,” Yze said.

“It’s in the courts, so we can’t really talk about the facts, but what you did see is exactly what he told us.

“He was honest about it, he knew he made a mistake and, like I said, he’s been earning the trust of not only us but the whole footy club.

“We can’t wait to allow him to get back out and do that on the footy field as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2025-richmond-cant-wait-to-have-defender-noah-balta-back-between-his-suspension-and-sentencing/news-story/a9dac46da144218a50e7f943d0c168cc

Offline one-eyed

  • Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 99103
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Noah Balta charged with assault
« Reply #214 on: Yesterday at 07:20:54 PM »
Cornes slams AFL's embarrassing take on Balta CCTV

By SEN
4 April 2025


The AFL has embarrassed itself in its handling of Noah Balta’s assault case, according to Kane Cornes who has called on the Richmond player to speak on the matter.

Balta is facing up to five years in jail after pleading guilty for an attack on another man outside the Mulwala Water Ski club in December last year.

Last week he pleaded guilty to a single count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and will be sentenced on April 22.

Despite the severity of the case and the threat of jail time, the AFL and Richmond have cleared Balta to play in Round 5 and 6 and will not be adding to his four-match ban.

Earlier this week Andrew Dillon said: “We have worked with Richmond and we're comfortable with the suspension and the suspension that Noah has served ... we're comfortable with where Richmond landed on that one.”

His comments have drawn widespread criticism with both Cornes and David King demanding more action be taken.

“We were all over this when that vision came out,” Cornes said on SEN’s Fireball.

“Now the AFL is in the embarrassing situation that every time they launch something – like Gather Round – they’re going to be asked about it.

“I don’t think they’ve been hard enough.”

Adding to this, Cornes queried where Balta is.

“Has he spoken yet? Does the community need to hear from him?”

Last week CCTV footage of the “sickening” assault was made public with prosecutors telling a court that the victim of the assault - Thomas Washbrook - was lucky to be alive.

King echoed his co-host’s sentiments suggesting the story had benefited from a busy news week with Oscar Allen’s secret Hawthorn meeting consuming significant broadcast time.

“Where’s the Noah Balta story gone?” King asked.

“The Richmond fans maybe they do (need to hear from him).

“I just think it’s one of those ones that’s disappeared pretty quickly even though it’s still in the courts.

“The AFL should have extended the ban and they should have stepped in for sure.”

The 1-2 Tigers meet reigning premiers Brisbane at the MCG on Saturday before setting their sights on Gather Round against Fremantle in the Barossa Valley - a fixture which Balta will be eligible to play in.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2025/04/04/cornes-slams-afls-embarrassing-take-on-balta-cctv