Author Topic: The Tigers & F1 from the Bladders  (Read 2614 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The Tigers & F1 from the Bladders
« on: June 25, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »
New Tigers CEO sees similarities with F1

by STAFF REPORTERS    

The new CEO of Richmond, Steven Wright, sees many similarities between his new role at the club and his former job as head of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation. Wright said the similarities would make it easy for him to make the transition to overseeing and AFL club.

“When you look at the sport of Formula One compared with the AFL, they are almost identical,” he told The Bladder. “You’ve got the big personalities, the huge amounts of corporate sponsorship, the temperamental team bosses and so forth.

“If you look at the make up of the AFL, it’s very similar to the teams of F1 racing. You’ve got Brisbane, who are like the Ferrari of the AFL. Powerful, unstoppable, and consistently winning the flag. Then you’ve got Port Adelaide who deliver so much promise every year, just like McLaren, but they never seem to be able to deliver when it really counts. Then there’s teams like the Bulldogs, who are just like Minardi, struggling away as a backmarker, never with the resources, talent or funds they need to make it into the top eight.”

Asked where Richmond fit in to his increasingly tenuous analogy, Wright said the Tigers were like the Jaguar team of the AFL. “Every year, people expect Jaguar is going to do well. The fans come back and get behind the team early in the season. And just like Richmond, by the time the first event is run and won, we all realise we were kidding ourselves.

“On top of this they’re both represented by big cats. With teeth, and claws, and stuff.”

Wright would not be drawn on how he planned to turn the Tigers’ fortunes around, but said he would be lobbying the government to allow the team to accept millions of dollars in tobacco company sponsorship.

http://www.thebladder.com.au/content/news/displayContent.asp?CID=2659&EID=259
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: The Tigers & F1 from the Bladders
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 02:03:27 PM »
Asked where Richmond fit in to his increasingly tenuous analogy, Wright said the Tigers were like the Jaguar team of the AFL. “Every year, people expect Jaguar is going to do well. The fans come back and get behind the team early in the season. And just like Richmond, by the time the first event is run and won, we all realise we were kidding ourselves.

Errrrrrrrrrrrr.... :'( :'( :'(

Guilty your honour

;D :D ;D ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 04:56:53 PM »
The RFC boardroom over the last 20 years has its similarities to F1. Going round and round in circles continually following the same path with reckless abandon but end up really going nowhere and back to where we all started many times before  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 04:58:15 PM »
Could Clinton Casey be our very own Bernie Eccelston (sp)  :-\

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 05:07:39 PM »
Could Clinton Casey be our very own Bernie Eccelston (sp)  :-\

Only difference is Bernie Ecclestone makes profits in F1  ;)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd