Author Topic: Cam Howat/ Will Howat now get promoted?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cam Howat/ Will Howat now get promoted?
« on: June 25, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »
I wasn't at the Coburg game today but the 3aw team including David King rated him second B.O.G. and his field kicking very good. I still would've thought White would be brought in to replace Cogs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:34:19 AM by one-eyed »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Moi

Re: Will Howat now get promoted?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 06:30:21 PM »
Haven't seen Cogurg all year, so wouldn't know MT
Is he consistently up there with the best players?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
Haven't seen Cogurg all year, so wouldn't know MT
Is he consistently up there with the best players?

Neither have I Moi. I would've thought others were ahead of Howat based on hearing his past efforts at the Burgers but he was praised by the coaching staff after today.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 10:02:31 PM »
I tend to agree MT that there a blokes ahoead of Howat at the moment so why would the Club incur the extra expense and have him just running around in the VFL

I mean we promoted Humm and he played one game and has been in the VFL ever since.

I would rather see the Whites, Rodans, Hartigans - the young blokes on our list get the opportunities at this stage
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Howat wins a Tiger promotion
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 06:22:53 PM »
Howat wins a Tiger promotion
4:56:49 PM Thu 29 June, 2006
richmondfc.com.au
Tony Greenberg

Richmond has promoted Cam Howat from its rookie list to its senior playing list.

The 182cm, 77kg, hard-running midfielder, replaces Mark Coughlan, who has been placed on the Club’s long-term injury list following his recent knee reconstruction.

Howat, a former Oakleigh Chargers and Old Carey junior, caught Richmond’s eye after an impressive season of VFL football with the Box Hill Hawks in 2005. The Tigers subsequently selected him with their third pick (No. 36 overall) in the Rookie Draft late last year.

His form throughout this season with Richmond’s VFL affiliate Coburg has earned him his promotion to the senior list at Tigerland.

“Cam’s been very good at Coburg, particularly over the past few weeks, and certainly deserves this opportunity,” said Richmond’s Football Operations Manager Paul Armstrong.

“He played in our NAB Cup match against Hawthorn pre-season, so he’s not completely new to the level.

“We look forward to him now getting the chance to play senior league football.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=featurestories&spg=display&articleid=277144

letsgetiton!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »
he has been named on the extended bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 07:07:26 PM »
I don't know why we did it. I hope I'm wrong but I can see the Humm scenario repeating itself. One game in the seniors then back to Coburg  :-\.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 03:26:34 AM »
Why promote Howat and incur the extra expense if we're not going to play him?  ???

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cam Howat breaks through (VFL Record)
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 02:33:20 AM »
Cam Howat breaks through

Andy Collins’ faith in young Tiger pays off.
VFL Record

Andy Collins was a stranger to Cameron Howat when the Hawthorn great arrived as Box Hill coach in the pre-season of 2004. Sure, Howat had heard of Collins, but not to the extent of being able to rattle off his credentials from a splendid career at Hawthorn and as a premiership coach of Sandringham.

However, Howat has come to know Collins particularly well over the past three years. Before the 2004 season, Howat admitted he didn’t know what direction to take with his football. Unable to get a regular game with the Oakleigh Chargers’ TAC Cup team, Howat found himself playing with Old Carey in the VAFA.

“I was deciding whether I would play locally with my mates, or give it a crack,” Howat said. Eventually, he chose to try out with Box Hill and began the preseason under Tony Liberatore, who departed soon afterwards to take up a coaching position at Carlton. It was at that stage that Collins entered the picture, and it
would prove a defining moment in Howat’s football career.

Collins took a shine to the strong work ethic of hard-running midfielder.

“Andy always thought that I had the ability, and he has backed me over the past few years and has always pushed me to get better,”Howat said. “He has been fantastic for my career.”

At the end of last season, Collins arranged for Howat, Alister Neville and Ben McGlynn to train for a spot on Richmond’s rookie list. McGlynn later decided to take up an offer from Hawthorn.

Howat, now 21, impressed Terry Wallace enough to earn a place on the Tigers’ rookie list, and as an added bonus, was able to continue his association with Collins, who had taken over as coach of the Coburg Tigers, Richmond’s TRUenergy VFL partner. “Andy has done the same kind of thing at Coburg that he did at Box
Hill,” Howat said. “He backs everyone and just gets the best out of the guys. Everyone has gelled so well.”

Howat’s hard was rewarded in round 13 of the AFL, when he was elevated to the Tigers senior list and named on the extended interchange for the match against the Magpies. He hopes to make his senior debut in the coming weeks, and despite being a rookie, is enjoying the fulltime football lifestyle. “I’m loving it,” he said. “I don’t have to work, which is a big weight off my shoulders from last year, when I had a full-time job as well as football.“This year, it’s all about footy.

The pre-season was tough, but now it’s all about recovery, planning for match day and performing at your best. That’s my focus.” Howat candidly admits his first half of the season didn’t produce everything he’d hoped for, but he thinks his best-on-ground performance against the Casey Scorpions in round nine may have
been a turning point. “The body is the best it’s been all year. I feel I’m definitely heading in the right direction.”

coburgtigers.com.au