Author Topic: Frawley Resigns  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Frawley Resigns
« on: June 28, 2004, 02:26:26 PM »
Danny will announce it today....apparently at a 4.30 press conference.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Frawley Resigns
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 02:39:38 PM »
Well good to see Caro was only a week or so out.

As for the Coastal retreat - Ballarat sure aint no coastal retreat Caro. ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Official: Frawley Resigns from RFC site
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 02:49:12 PM »
:33:40 PM Mon 28 June, 2004
Jordan Chong
Sportal
Another coaching scalp has fallen, with Richmond coach Danny Frawley notifying the club that 2004 will be his last season at the helm.

A statement issued by the club said Frawley will remain coach until the end of the season.

"It has been a tough call to make because of how passionately I feel about my coaching role at the club,” Frawley said in the statement.

"By taking this course of action now it gives the club the best possible chance to actively enter the market place for a new coach without any constraints."

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the club for the strong support it has given me throughout the past five years."

Speculation has been rife in recent weeks suggesting Frawley was about to resign, but those suggestions were consistently denied by club officials.

He reportedly spent the weekend with his manager Ricky Nixon, plotting his exit strategy from Punt Road and laying his some foundations for his future.

The coach has been under heavy pressure from not only the club's supporters but also various sections of the media this season due to the team's poor on-field performance.

Richmond is 15th on the ladder, with only four wins from 13 rounds.

He has been coach since 2000, with the best result a preliminary final appearance in 2001. His record with the club is 45 wins and 59 losses.

In a recent newspaper interview, Tigers president Clinton Casey stated his personal view was the club needed an 'experienced coach'.

But in the statement, Casey 'complimented' Frawley on his 'selflessness, great loyalty and his strength of character'.

"Danny’s legacy to the Club will be felt for many years to come. His dignity, morality and his courage under fire will be instrumental in life lessons the playing group will carry over to the next era,” Casey said.

“His decision will alleviate the continual media pressure on both him and his family," he added.

Frawley played 240 games for St Kilda between 1984 and 1995 and was captain between 1987 and 1995. He was then an assistant coach at Collingwood for four years.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=157077
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 03:06:30 PM »

"Danny’s legacy to the Club will be felt for many years to come"

god i hope not

LOL
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Official: Frawley Resigns from RFC site
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 03:12:47 PM »

A statement issued by the club said Frawley will remain coach until the end of the season.

"By taking this course of action now it gives the club the best possible chance to actively enter the market place for a new coach without any constraints."

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY JOY!  :)  :)  :)

Danny you made the correct decision. We thank you for that. Now play the kids for the rest of the year so we can start the process of rebuilding our list.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 03:19:19 PM »
Danny you made the correct decision. We thank you for that. Now play the kids for the rest of the year so we can start the process of rebuilding our list.

He made the only decision he could.  You can’t go this long without a hint of the team moving forward and hope to be retained at season’s end.

This way he gets to finish his contract and the Club can start looking for coaching candidates.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »
Brilliant!

Lets get back to the Tiger of old! :D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 03:32:15 PM »
He made the only decision he could.

I know what you're saying TS but he could have waited until the end of the year (his contract) which would have deprived us the opportunity we now have to be open and frank about chasing after a new coach. Saying his time is up gives us heaps of time to interview and process potential candidates.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 03:39:21 PM »
Go uncle Danny, wooo hoooo!!!!!!!!

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 03:40:38 PM »
I know what you're saying TS but he could have waited until the end of the year (his contract) which would have deprived us the opportunity we now have to be open and frank about chasing after a new coach. Saying his time is up gives us heaps of time to interview and process potential candidates.

I agree MT and said that at the end bit. ;)
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

NoNeck

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2004, 03:40:42 PM »
I have to say, as someone who is not a fan of AFL, that the negativity of everyone surrounding your coach absolutely stuns me.
How "fans" could hope for continued losses so that he resigned faster is beyond words.

The lack of results is due to a mediocre team.
Want to kick someone, kick the players, kick the media who claim they always know better.
Don't blame the coach because he can't get a bunch of incapables to produce.

Danny Frawley can walk away holding his head up, not many others can.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 04:04:18 PM »
You'll get no disagreement NoNeck about our mediocre players. Problem is Danny Frawley had 5 years to turn over the list and to replace the mediocre players with young talented ones a la St Kilda, Geelong and Fremantle. That's why he deserves as much criticism as the players. He's continually put faith in and "rewarded" senior players who failed time after time after time and then topped up our list with ready-made fringe players from other clubs. In a sense he's dug his own coaching grave.

I definitely didn't want us to lose to get rid of Danny but the current way the AFL draft system works will reward us with a extra draft pick if we don't win another game for the year yet punish us if we win 2 more. Go figure! Finishing mid-table in the AFL is detremental to any Club winning a Flag. Richmond has paid for finishing mid-table for most of the last 10 years. I know thinking we're better off losing is on the surface a defeatist attitude but in the long-term Richmond will having a better chance of winning a premiership in 4-5 years.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 04:30:51 PM »
I have to say, as someone who is not a fan of AFL, that the negativity of everyone surrounding your coach absolutely stuns me.

Maybe if you were a fan of the game then you would understand it a little better and then you wouldn't be so stunned at our negativity concerning our coach.

How "fans" could hope for continued losses so that he resigned faster is beyond words.

When you consider that there might have been the possibility that our administration may have extended frawley's contract (for god knows our admin is capable of anything) the statement above becomes understandable.

The lack of results is due to a mediocre team.
Want to kick someone, kick the players, kick the media who claim they always know better.

We do, and if you had have done your homework you would have realized that.

That is his job for crying out loud, he's got to get them to produce, that's why he's there.

Danny Frawley can walk away holding his head up, not many others can.

As a person yes.
As a coach definetly not.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

NoNeck

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2004, 04:34:02 PM »
I do not believe that any coach would be permitted to individually construct a playing list.
So far as I know AFL clubs operate a coaching panel who collectively make such decisions.
Those decisions would then have to be agreed upon at board level.

I cannot argue against Danny having made mistakes in terms of bad team selection, on a round by round basis.
But again, is Danny the only one choosing who plays ??
I agree, some senior players have had an easy road into the team.

Last season's star recruit, Blumfield, blew apart a leg muscle. Well..............................

I do not pretend to understand the AFL draft system (who does ??) but it obviously does not work the way it is supposed to.

If you want improvement in Richmond, more effort should be put into improving Coburg.
Make a better Coburg, you will get a better Richmond.

NoNeck

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2004, 05:11:41 PM »

We do, and if you had have done your homework you would have realized that.

I have never seen the pages upon pages of criticism of Caro, Sheahan, Wallace, et. al.
Have you ??

That is his job for crying out loud, he's got to get them to produce, that's why he's there.

Could you make stars out of duds ??
It just is not possible to get results when players don't run, kick to the opposition, don't tackle, etc. etc. etc.
When that siren blows, on-field performance is your responsibility, no one else.