Author Topic: Is our percentage a reflection of where we are really at?  (Read 3738 times)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
Is our percentage a reflection of where we are really at?
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
Well is it?

Ox

Re: Is our percentage a reflection of where we are really at?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »
Isn't everyones more or less ?
LMAO

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 06:47:07 PM »
I guess so, ROFLMAOOO.

I mean, we are fairly high up the ladder for such a shocking percentage. Does it reflect that we have been lucky to win some of the games we have played this year and that really we belong lower down the ladder, or does it just say that we have been winning low scoring matches and had a few bendings, and really we genuinely belong top 8.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »
I mean it in the sense that we have had the type of wins that dont suggest domination,nor does our Microphallus percentage.

We survive on 4s or 2s.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 07:01:11 PM »
ROFLAMOOOOO@surviving on 4inches length and 2 inches girth with our microphallus percentage.

Ox

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:13:28 PM »
lmao@ our boys being referd to by their lovers as, "Fingers"

Ox

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:20:36 PM »
What im trying to say is. yes it does.

We r srill sh it but have regained some pride and belief.

A finals berth would be great for is but we will be haed pressed to make a dent should we get there,not to mention getting there in the first place!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 07:39:26 PM »
Our % gives a clear indication of where we are sitting at. Between the big boys and the duds

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 08:07:52 PM »
Our % gives a clear indication of where we are sitting at. Between the big boys and the duds
Agreed. :thumbsup
We are not the duds and terrible team everyone thinks we are anymore. Yet, we are not ready to be serious final contenders. Give it a couple more years and we'll be up there  :gotigers
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »
Agreed. :thumbsup
We are not the duds and terrible team everyone thinks we are anymore. Yet, we are not ready to be serious final contenders. Give it a couple more years and we'll be up there  :gotigers

Would hate for us to end up 9th or 10th. That position is the most sh!thouse position. You don't get high draft picks and you see no finals action

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 08:48:51 PM »
Even if we sneak into the 8, I hate saying this... but I doubt we will be getting far in the finals, I think at the moment, we are still learning and improving and we are not ready for finals just yet, but I would LOVE to be proved wrong. :gotigers
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Moi

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 09:45:29 PM »
I think the percentage is a reflection that we're a young, exciting side.  One week they'll get flogged, the next week we win.
A bit simplistic for a hard question lol
Wish i could work out why we get flogged the way we do - we'd have to be the masters of it - and then come out the next week and play well.  Carlton are crap, but they rarely take the beatings we've had.  Same with Collingwood when they were down, they never had heavy losses.
Maybe leadership has a lot to do with it - who kows.

Tough question, JohnF lol  :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 03:55:08 AM »
Take away those two 20 goal hidings and we're around the even 100% mark.

Our percentage is poor because we don't yet have a side that puts teams away when we are winning and on top in a game. We just do what is required to win and don't yet have that relentless streak to smash teams. The Blues, Roos and Pies games should have been big wins but we switched off once we got comfortably in front. I'll give the boys some slack in the Pies game as they must have felt flat at half-time given Newy's broken leg but being 55 points up (9.9 to 1.2) at half-time shouldn't result in just a paltry 4 goal second half.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 11:39:38 PM »
A healthy percentage often seems to point to a competitive team.  And I think our percentage reflects the fact we have a team that is in re-building mode, which has been able to do better than many would have expected.  I don’t know how it reflects that, it just does, ok.  Just humour me. :P

In the Port game, which we won, there were some really good signs, but there was also a passage of play where it seemed to me that we resembled a bottom 4 side.

Even though Melbourne didn’t make us pay, it felt like an 8 goal loss to me, just because of how the ‘team’ went about things on the night.

Guess we can dissect all our wins and losses, but the extremes of form from one game to the next tell a story and even though we haven’t had any really convincing wins, we have copped some shellackings.

It also tempers things a bit when you consider that we play the style of footy we do because we have to, in order to get a win and to just be competitive.  Had TW not implemented the different game styles then chances are we wouldn’t still be in contention to play finals this season.  You could say that the way the game is now played is contrived and has the ability to hide or distort the reality of a team’s true ability.

If we don’t know what that ability is, then we do know that when we have the footy and are able to dictate terms we look ok, without dominating, but it’s when we give up possession to a skilful team where the concern has been and still remains.  Good luck then trying to get the footy back, without them kicking goal after goal.

I guess that says we are a middle of the table team, at best.  If effort is anything to go by then our players deserve to play finals this year.  But, basically, I think that in the hurly burly of up-tempo, full on finals footy, we still have a way to go, and our percentage simply reflects that.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:34:14 AM »
A healthy percentage often seems to point to a competitive team.  And I think our percentage reflects the fact we have a team that is in re-building mode, which has been able to do better than many would have expected.  I don’t know how it reflects that, it just does, ok.  Just humour me. :P

In the Port game, which we won, there were some really good signs, but there was also a passage of play where it seemed to me that we resembled a bottom 4 side.

Even though Melbourne didn’t make us pay, it felt like an 8 goal loss to me, just because of how the ‘team’ went about things on the night.

Guess we can dissect all our wins and losses, but the extremes of form from one game to the next tell a story and even though we haven’t had any really convincing wins, we have copped some shellackings.

It also tempers things a bit when you consider that we play the style of footy we do because we have to, in order to get a win and to just be competitive.  Had TW not implemented the different game styles then chances are we wouldn’t still be in contention to play finals this season.  You could say that the way the game is now played is contrived and has the ability to hide or distort the reality of a team’s true ability.

If we don’t know what that ability is, then we do know that when we have the footy and are able to dictate terms we look ok, without dominating, but it’s when we give up possession to a skilful team where the concern has been and still remains.  Good luck then trying to get the footy back, without them kicking goal after goal.

I guess that says we are a middle of the table team, at best.  If effort is anything to go by then our players deserve to play finals this year.  But, basically, I think that in the hurly burly of up-tempo, full on finals footy, we still have a way to go, and our percentage simply reflects that.

That's a great response, and spot on in my opinion.