Author Topic: Greg Miller  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Greg Miller
« on: June 29, 2004, 01:11:30 PM »
After Danny’s announcement yesterday, I couldn’t help but think of the contribution Greg Miller has made to our Club in a short time.

Considering the sizable task he has been confronted with at Richmond, in his time there, he has conducted himself and taken on his role at RFC as well as anyone could.  Whatever anyone thinks of him, I doubt anyone could say that he hasn’t gone out of his way to help turn things around at Richmond and help paint us in a different light to the rabble most think we are.

Obviously, only time will tell what his overall contribution to RFC will be, but under difficult circumstances, so far he has done as well as anyone could to at least start to get us onto the right path and to being a professionally run Club.  As evidenced by the handling of Danny’s resignation announcement yesterday.

There’s still a long way to go, but I think supporters appreciate him being as open and honest as possible and treating them as concerned and knowledgeable people, rather than the ferals some would make us out to always be.  :'(  :P

The expectations of him are probably that much higher because many supporters see him as the link to any real football nous and experience within the Club.  So, in effect, he has become the face of the football department, in his time at RFC and possibly has had to take on more than he might at other clubs.

I know some have been critical of him, in terms of his involvement with recruiting so far, but I think, over time, he will prove his worth to RFC and, at the very least, deserves the opportunity to prove that worth.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

Re: Greg Miller
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 01:19:59 PM »
Greg is a long overdue addition to our club.

Shoots from the hip and takes no schit.

Thank God he came to Punt road.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 01:22:02 PM »
I have been critical of him regading some of his recruiting decisions.

However I will give him credit for doing a great job as the current face of the RFC.  He is well respected in the football world and I'm glad he's with us during these tough times and while we are looking for a coach.  I beleive he could attract someone good - hopefully.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 01:31:55 PM »
On Greg Miller, North were glad to see his back,
Was responsible for signing up Frawley for another year.
Was responsilbe for the recruiting of both Morrison and Weller.
Had something to do with the leaked document-email.
Convinced both Kellaway and Rogers to continue on this year, He actually got up in front of player-link supporters and said the both the players where better than having young players. ::)
In my opinion, the jury is out.
Stay tuned I say.

froars

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »
And totally ignored my emails to him about how he should recruit!
The nerve  ;D

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 02:12:32 PM »
TS I dont think anyone gets involved to fail, there's no doubting Danny is a great person, how many other coaches who have resigned or been sacked have openly admitted where they went wrong?

Danny needs to be commended on the way he handled the situation in particular his appraisal of the list at the end of 2001. I believe Miller was instrumental in keeping it all decent and above board.

He is the critical link in our end of season re-shuffle and to be honest I cant see a better man for the job.

Tigers premiers 2006!! ;)

froars

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 02:24:37 PM »
Whatever anyone thinks of him, I doubt anyone could say that he hasn’t gone out of his way to help turn things around at Richmond and help paint us in a different light to the rabble most think we are.
I think the jury's out on his contribution seeing we're at our lowest ebb since Save Our Skins.
I can't see any positives from anyone at this stage.
We are a rabble at the moment, and anyone who says otherwise is deluded. 
Doesn't mean it can't change and I hope Greg has some magic to produce a turnaround.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »
so far he has done as well as anyone could to at least start to get us onto the right path and to being a professionally run Club. 

You've hit the nail on the head TS. Miller is giving the Club the direction forward it so desperately craved for so long IMHO. Yes the jury is still out but he has a long term vision and plan to make Richmond successful once again and he's not diverting or being distracted from it. Part of that was the removal of the clause in Danny's contract and Danny's resignation at his own choosing yesterday. As a result potential coaches won't be saying no to us cause they think we'll give them the flick if success isn't instant. So we won't be left with limited and poor choices of applicants this time around. Short term pain (and boy was it painful  :P) for long term benefit. No doubt there'll be further pain for us supporters in the short term while we hopefully rebuild. As long as there's direction and that direction is articulated to members and supporters then the Tiges will move forward with our support.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 03:42:19 PM »
I don't like his vision with the recruiting of Marsh, Weller, Fletcher, Morrison last draft.
In fact, it worries me.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 04:10:50 PM »
TS I dont think anyone gets involved to fail, there's no doubting Danny is a great person, how many other coaches who have resigned or been sacked have openly admitted where they went wrong?

Danny needs to be commended on the way he handled the situation in particular his appraisal of the list at the end of 2001. I believe Miller was instrumental in keeping it all decent and above board.

He is the critical link in our end of season re-shuffle and to be honest I cant see a better man for the job.

Tigers premiers 2006!! ;)

I think most people agree it’s a change for the better that, for the first time since forever, a coach can leave our Club without the bad blood of previously departed coaches.  It’s probably fair to say that Miller had something to do with that.

Whether or not there is a better man available for the job than Miller, who knows Disco, but at least he’s there.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 04:27:03 PM »
I don't like his vision with the recruiting of Marsh, Weller, Fletcher, Morrison last draft.
In fact, it worries me.

I haven't agreed with everything Miller has done but we did pick up 5 kids as well which is more than we picked up in the two previous drafts  :(..

Weller was a stuff up. Should've have picked Morrison in the PSD and kept pick 64 for a kid.
Fletcher was pick 79. Should have passed instead but at least we didn't lose.
Marsh was the second last bloke to be picked up (pick 11 PSD). If we had topped up our stocks of KPP since 2002 like we should had >:( then we wouldn't have had to go down the path of drafting back-ups.

This year's draft and next year's will be the most important for our near future and we'll judge Miller by what we do in them.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »
No doubt there'll be further pain for us supporters in the short term while we hopefully rebuild. As long as there's direction and that direction is articulated to members and supporters then the Tiges will move forward with our support.

There’s always going to be some grief with any long-term plan and times when people will doubt the direction.  As you say though MT, as long as we’re informed then people are more likely to be patient.

Heard Clinton Casey this morning say on radio that there would be something going out to members shortly, regarding the future direction of the Club.

We might finally get that information we’re after MT. :)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 05:15:13 PM »
Heard Clinton Casey this morning say on radio that there would be something going out to members shortly, regarding the future direction of the Club.

We might finally get that information we’re after MT. :)

About time too! Fingers crossed TS. :)

froars

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 06:27:10 PM »
Well, i can't see us getting any lower than we are, so i guess the only way is up.

Ox

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 06:48:22 PM »
In fact, it worries me.

Partially to blame are Frawley,Brittan and co.

IMO,Greg,In keeping with the implemented plan,allowed the coach and panel much freedom when it came to these choices.

He was aware of the overall lack of talent but allowed the coaching/recruiting departmentt their alotted input.

Lets not blame him for this until he stuffs up in the future.