Author Topic: AFL U18 Championships/potential draftees thread  (Read 19499 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: AFL U18 Championships/potential draftees thread
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 11:18:43 AM »
He's in their under 19 squad but has played seniors and reserves this year. Shane Tuck's old club and coached by Shaun Rehn who could be a possible AFL assistant coach.

As a side note Paddy Steinfort plays for them. Injuries still haunt the poor guy  :P
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 11:22:05 AM »
Good Wood on a tall future
The Adelaide Advertiser
By WARREN PARTLAND
14may04

NOT so long ago the West Adelaide Football Club was something of an embarrassment at the junior level. The under-19 side was thrashed week-in, week-out and the club struggled even to attract enough young players.

No longer. No. 1 draft pick Adam Cooney was on top of AFL club wishlists last season as a host of talent took the next step.
This season the Bloods have on their books another talent likely to draw plenty of attention.

Promising ruckman Cameron Wood made his SANFL debut on Saturday, aged just 17. A year 12 student at Glenunga High, Wood in his league debut took on state ruckman Paul Lindsay and Brett O'Hara.

"It was faster and harder than I thought it would be," Wood said.

Wood's goal is obvious – to be drafted this year. To do that, and he has no club preference, the 203cm ruckman knows he will have to impress the AFL scouts at the national under-18 carnival in Melbourne in July.

Aiding his cause is having former champion Adelaide ruckman Shaun Rehn in his corner as West coach. Rehn, in just his second year of coaching, has watched as some excellent young talent moved on to AFL ranks.

In 2002 the club had four players drafted to the AFL – Luke Jericho and Ben Rutten to Adelaide, Wade Champion to Port Adelaide and Byron Schammer to Fremantle.

And last year the club lost Cooney to the Western Bulldogs, Beau Waters, Tim Schmidt, Sam Fisher and Shane Tuck to the national draft. Cooney was the first South Australian to be the top draft pick since Clive Waterhouse in 1995.

Bloods general manager Doug Thomas says that back in the early 1990s, West's junior situation was so bad he was "getting a kick in the bum" from the SANFL.

In fact, so brittle was the situation the club battled to find sufficient numbers to field teams in those competitions.

Players from its Riverland zone, the nursery for such talent as Adelaide champion Mark Rucciuto, refused to come to Adelaide to wear the West jumper en-masse.

SANFL football services manager Colin Casey was the club's development officer from 1994-1998. The frustration of being received unfavourably in the Riverland, coupled with the poor on-field results, had him saying change was needed.

Programs had to be established and under the guidance of Thomas, junior committees were established in a bid to spark a revival of junior standards at Richmond.

Rod O'Reilly played an early role in the move while Neil Morris, Justin Dent and Andrew Milligan, current development manager and under-19's coach have aided the cause. Then there is Brian Munn, a volunteer from those dark days who has also had a significant impact.

The new committee's vision was Richmond Oval being developed into a centre of junior football excellence.

Now, 10 years after the wheels were set in motion to boost the Bloods' junior stocks, that ambition is certainly being realised.

Wood, the latest piece in the puzzle, knows that if his AFL dream fails another career could await.

The lanky teenager has already knocked back an offer from an American major league club to pursue his football career.

After playing in the national under-16 baseball championships last year with the state side, Wood was invited to a six-week camp in Brisbane from which a national team was chosen to play in Taiwan.

Wood declined the offer, reluctant to miss so much football with the Bloods and the SA under-16 football team.

But in January he was approached by scouts for the American organisation after a game with the Goodwood Indians. It was an extremely tempting four-year deal.

"The offer made me think," he admits. "There were a couple of factors though which made me knock it back.

"The biggest one was footy and my goal of getting drafted. If I have to choose between the two sports I choose football.

"In the back of my mind baseball will be there if the football doesn't work out how I hope. It is an honour to get the offer to play in America."

A member of the Australian Institute of Sport program last year, he recently played goalie for the Australian team in the under-17 International Rules series against Ireland.

So how did his school mates react to his league debut?

"Some watched the game on television and Tim Ginever (commentating) said I would probably be alright once I started eating," he said. "I copped a bit about that at school."

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy03/story_page/0,8747,9558105%255E24397,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2004, 02:02:13 AM »
TAC Cup: Medal win just the draft Bate
07 September 2004   
Herald Sun
Emily Power

Impact: Eastern Ranges star Matthew Bate, this year's TAC Cup best-and-fairest.
Picture: Craig Hughes

MATTHEW Bate, 2004 TAC Cup best-and-fairest, is tall, mobile, versatile and ready for the next level. Memo AFL clubs: hold that thought.

Bate, 17, who was awarded the Morrish Medal on Sunday night as the most outstanding under-18 player in the state, is ineligible for the November 20 national draft because of age restrictions introduced by the AFL this year.

He is seeking the league's permission to nominate for the draft. The league, with the support of Football Victoria, yesterday confirmed it would consider the letter of special consideration it received from Bate's father Michael last week, despite the request being lodged after the June 24 deadline.

The 189cm, 85kg Eastern Ranges forward and onballer, who turns 18 on May 24 next year, has fallen 24 days short of his dream.

The AFL revised the date of eligibility, on which players must have turned 17, from June 30 to April 30.

The Morrish assures that club scouts' interest in the boy from Kilsyth will go through the roof.

But Eastern Ranges coach John Lamont, who also coaches Bate at Box Hill Senior Secondary College in the school's football program, said another year with the under-18 competition wouldn't hurt Bate.

"He's probably got the maturity in his body, but he is still working to be a more consistent player," Lamont said.

"Certainly at the start of the year I would have said he needed another year.

"Now he's got some consistency, and in the space of six weeks, people start to say this kid should be nominating for the draft."

Miles Krakouer, 17, set the precedent in June when AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson granted him permission to nominate.

Krakouer missed the cut-off date by eight days, and the family cited hardship and the fact Krakouer had been preparing for the draft for the past two years.

Five other players from around Australia have since been successful.

Players affected by the new rule must be completing Year 12, and provide evidence of compelling circumstances, to have their applications considered.

Bate shook a lower back injury that he carried through the the pre-season to flourish from Round 4.

After dominating the opening part of the season in defence, Bate was rotated in the forward line.

The Round 11 move was a masterstroke that effectively netted Bate the Morrish. He kicked seven goals, and bagged 37 for the year. Round 11 was where his polling for the medal started to boom.

"I like full-forward, and lately I have been rotating on the ball, which I enjoy as well," Bate said. "I think I started playing better then."

Bate has become just the second 17-year-old to win the Morrish Medal, after Richmond's David Rodan in 2000.

Past winners include St Kilda captain Lenny Hayes (NSW/ACT), and Tigers star Nathan Brown (Bendigo).

VOTES:

Matthew Bate (Eastern Ranges) 21,
Jordan Wood (Murray Bushrangers) 18,
David Fevaleaki (Bendigo Pioneers) 16,
Tim Sheringham (Geelong Falcons) 16,
Jarred Moore (Dandenong Stingrays) 15,
Simon Phillips (Sandringham Dragons) 14,
Rowan Nayna (Dandenong Stingrays) 13,
Matt Little (Calder Cannons) 12,
Dominic Dimascio (Eastern Ranges) 12,
Hayden Foss (Geelong Falcons) 12,
Ben Sharp (Oakleigh Chargers) 12,
Robin Nahas (Oakleigh Chargers) 12.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10690735%255E19897,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2004, 02:04:50 AM »
TAC Cup team of the year
07 September 2004   
Herald Sun

2004 team.

B: Jayden Attard (Dandenong), Marcus Drum (Murray), Ruory Kirkby (Bendigo)

HB: Ben Sharp (Oakleigh), Tom Murphy (Sandringham), Jesse W Smith (Calder)

C: Matt Rosa (North Ballarat), Jarred Moore (Dandenong), Dean Polo (Gippsland)

HF: Brent Prismal (Western), Adam Patteron (Northern), Heath Hocking (Eastern)

F: Brett Deledio (Murray), Matt Little (Calder), Jarryd Roughead (Gippsland)

R: John Meesen (Geelong), Ben Jolley (Calder), Jordan Lewis (Geelong)

I/C: Tim Sheringham (Geelong), Ryan Bain (Oakleigh), Matt Bate (Eastern), Rowan Nayna (Dandenong).

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10691375%255E19897,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hun article on Jarryd Roughead
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2004, 08:23:23 PM »
TAC Cup: Roughead a good-looking draft prospect
11 September 2004   
Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

Big future: Jarryd Roughead (left) in action during the national championships this year.
Picture: Michael Klein

UNTIL two years ago, footy had never been a serious pursuit for Gippsland's Jarryd Roughead.

More adept with a basketball, the extent of Roughead's football background was scattered appearances for local club Leongatha in between hoops commitments.

Fast forward to 2004 and Roughead can count himself among the AFL's top draft prospects this season.

It has been a remarkable rise for the 17-year-old forward, who has not looked back since being invited to join the under-16s at Gippsland Power in November 2002.

Roughead is the first to admit he is amazed at how far his football has come in such a short amount of time.

"It's been a shock," Roughead said. "To make under-16 Vic Country was really the main goal that I had last year. To be be named All-Australian was more of a bonus."

Roughead played basketball for Dandenong in the Victorian Basketball Association and was a state representative for four years from 2000 to 2003.

"My dad says there are some times where basketball has helped me," Roughead said. "I kind of play basketball sometimes when I'm playing footy, he (Dad) reckons."

Roughead has enjoyed a stellar season with the Power, which is expected to be rewarded with a place high in the draft pecking order.

The 193cm centre half-forward has kicked 38 goals this year and has the opportunity to add to his tally in tomorrow's semi-final against the Sandringham Dragons.

Roughead began the season honing his skills with the round ball as part of the under-17 International Rules series against Ireland.

He represented Vic Country at the under-18 national championships, but was unlucky to miss out on All-Australian selection.

Roughead's form since then has gone from strength to strength, earning him an invitation to next month's AFL draft camp in Canberra.

"The draft camp was another goal, but the big one is making an AFL list, that's every kid's dream," Roughead said.

"Hopefully I can keep playing well in the finals with Gippsland and then go up and prove myself at the draft camp."

Gippsland regional manager Peter Francis has watched Roughead's star rise and is under no illusions about the young forward's ability.

"Where he came in as a first round late (pick), he's now probably a top five or six," Francis said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10726574%255E19897,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Under-18's on show - 1pm Optus Oval Sept 23
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2004, 09:48:12 PM »
Under-18's on parade
6:28:27 PM Wed 15 September, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Some of the finest under-age players in the country will be on show during grand final week when the inaugural National's AFL Under-18 Rising Stars Cup will be played at Optus Oval on Thursday, September 23 at 1pm.

Victoria will take on The Allies, a team featuring players from NSW/ACT, Northern Territory, Queensland and Tasmania. It will be the first time The Allies have played since they played at senior state-of-origin level against Victoria in 1998.

The Victorian team comprises players from TAC Cup sides the Murray Bushrangers, Bendigo Pioneers, Northern Knights, North Ballarat Rebels, Western Jets and Geelong Falcons.

The match will feature All-Australians Under-18 players - Northern Territory's Richard Tambling, New South Wales' Ed Clarke, Queensland's Will Hamill and Tasmania' Justin Sherman.

Tambling, who is one of the most sought-after players in the competition and touted as a top-three draftee come November, will captain The Allies, while Northern Knights' forward Adam Pattison will lead Victoria. Pattison won the TAC Cup coaches' award this year.

The Allies will be coached by dual Essendon premiership player and Northern Territorian under-18 coach Darren Bewick. Former Bomber, Anton Grbac, who played two games for Essendon in 1982, is the Victorian coach.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=171192

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
2004 AFL Draft Camp Invitees
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2004, 07:21:38 PM »
http://www.wafl.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/article/030767ag.doc

Draft Camp Invitees:

CAMP NO   FIRST NAME   LAST NAME   CLUB   HEIGHT (CM)   WEIGHT (KG)   DOB   CLUB NO   

SMALL MIDFIELDERS

1   Eddie   Betts   Calder Cannons   170   72   26 November 1986   9   Small forward with terrific pace, goal sense and crumbing ability.  All Australian in last years National's AFL U18s and played for Victoria Metro again this year.

2   Ben   Eckermann   Sturt   177   74   12 March 1987   3   Small inside midfielder with excellent pace and ball winning ability.  Won SA's most valuable player award in National's AFL U18s and All Australian selection.  From Athelstone FC.

3   Adam   Iacobucci   Calder Cannons   179   79   17 January 1986   13   Small midfielder / defender with terrific work ethic and pace.  Strong in attack on the ball.  From St Bernards FC.

4   Andrew   McQualter   Gippsland Power   180   75   9 June 1986   22   Medium inside midfielder who attacks the ball strongly, has clean hands and reads game well.  Victoria Country Captain in U18s this year, from Traralgon FC and Caulfield Grammar.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

5   Angus   Monfries   Sturt   180   70   19 January 1987   13   Small inside midfield who is a prolific ball winner due to terrific work rate and footy smarts.  SA U18 representative winning All Australian honours this year.  From Walkerville FC.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate

6   Jarred   Moore   Dandenong Stingrays   178   84   6 March 1986   18   Small inside midfielder who is strong over the ball, has courage and good disposal skills.  Had outstanding U18 Championship winning All Australian honours playing for Victoria Metro.

7   Danyle   Pearce   Sturt   178   72   7 April 1986   44   Small outside midfielder with excellent speed and very creative.  Played seniors this year and represented SA at the U18s level.  From Pasadena HS.

8   Richard   Tambling   Southern Districts Northern Territory   180   68   12 September 1986   6   Medium midfielder with blistering pace and great goal sense.  Won McLean Medal (U16s) and Harrison Medal (U18s) at National's U16 & U18s Championships in 2002 and 2004.  All Australian at U18 level this year.

9   Adam   Thomson   Sturt   180   78   21 August 1986   31   Medium inside midfielder with clean hands.  Uses ball well and smart around goals - very versatile.  From Murray Bridge FC.

MEDIUM MIDFIELDERS

10   Ryan   Bain   Oakleigh Chargers   184   76   7 January 1986   3   Medium midfielder who consistently finds space and the footy.  Impressive for Victoria Metro in the National's AFL U18 Championships.  From Bulleen Templestowe.

11   Brett   Deledio   Murray Bushrangers   188   80   18 April 1987   18   Medium inside midfielder who can go forward or back.  Super competitive, strong overhead and smart around goal.  Won All Australian U18 honour this year after winning Sheehan medal at U16's in 2003.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.  From Kyabram FC.

12   Ryan   Griffen   South Adelaide   186   78   27 July 1986   31   Medium inside midfielder with genuine footy talent.  Smart around goals with good vision.  Captained SA's U18s side this year winning All Australian Honours.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.  From Goolwa/Pt Elliott FC.

13   Jordan   Lewis   Geelong Falcons   187   85   24 April 1986   29   Left footed medium midfielder who is excellent overhead and good at the stoppages.  Won All Australian honours at the National's AFL Under 18s this year.  He is from Warrnambool FC.

14   Dean   Polo   Gippsland Power   186   76   5 August 1986       Medium insider midfielder who is a hard runner and very competitive.  Strong overhead, won All Australian U18 Honours this year from Wy Yung FC.

15   Brent   Prismall   Western Jets   184   83   14 July 1986   14   Medium inside midfielder who reads the game well, has neat disposal skills and makes good decisions.  Victoria Metro representative in 2004.  From Werribee.

16   Matt   Rosa   North Ballarat Rebels   189   72   23 November 1986   7   Medium midfielder who is strong overhead and has great running capacity.  Reach game well and clean hands - from Warracknabeal FC and represented Victoria Country at the U18s 2004.

17   Ben   Sharp   Oakleigh Chargers   187   81   10 July 1986   7   Medium outside midfielder who runs all day linking up the play.  Had consistent National's AFL U18s championship winning All Australian honours.  AIS/AFL Academy Graduate.  From Salesian College.

18   Justin   Sherman   Clarence   182   84   26 January 1987   16   Medium forward / midfielder who is powerfully built, a penetrating kick and smart around goal.  Won All Australian U18 honours in 2004.  AIS/AFL Academy Graduate.  From Clarence FC.

19   Nathan   Van Berlo   West Perth   184   74   6 June 1986   50   Medium midfielder / defender whose athletic ability, ball usage and leadership were attributes displayed in representing WA in the 2004 National's AFL U18 Championships.

MEDIUM FORWARDS

20   Travis   Baird   Bendigo Pioneers   187   82   25 July 1986   1   Medium inside forward / midfielder who has an excellent leap and strong mark.  Has a cool head and is smart around goal.  From Donald.

21   Troy   Barlett   Wollongong - NSW/ACT Rams   186   77   8 October 1986   8   Medium forward who is strong overhead and has neat skills.

22   Nick   Becker   Calder Cannons   183   74   7 July 1986   35   Medium forward who is a strong mark and penetrating kick.  Has pace, agility and terrific work ethic.

23   Greg   Bentley   Dandenong Stingrays   185   80   9 April 1987   35   Medium forward with clean hands and is a good reader of the game.

24   Shannon   Cox   South Fremantle   186   90   7 March 1986   28   Medium forward who is strong overhead and provides a physical presence.  WA U18s representative in 2004.

25   Chris   Egan   Murray Bushrangers   187   78   26 October 1986   15   Medium outside forward with pace, clean hands and strong overhead.  Victoria Country U18s representative in 2004, from Rumbalara FC.

26   Mark   LeCras   West Perth   183   75   30 August 1986   52   Medium inside forward who is creative and strong overhead.  Won All Australian U18 honours this year.  From Whitfords FC.

27   Matt   Little   Calder Cannons   183   79   3 January 1986   20   Medium forward with great hands on the lead and smart around goal.  Victoria Metro representative in 2004 from Rupertswood FC.

28   Damien   McCormack   Dandenong Stingrays   181   74   28 January 1987   14   Medium forward who is an excellent kick and extremely versatile.  Reach game well and hails from Seaford FC.

29   Danny   Meyer   Glenelg   185   74   3 August 1986   3   Medium forward / midfielder with terrific athletic ability and very competitive.  SA U18s representative in 2004.  From Flagstaff Hill FC.

30   Clinton   Young   North Ballarat Rebels   186   77   16 February 1986   4   Lightly built medium forward with footy smarts and excellent kick on preferred left foot.  From Minyip-Murtoa.

MEDIUM DEFENDERS

31   Jayden   Attard   Dandenong Stingrays   184   79   27 February 1986   21   Medium defender with good acceleration and a penetrating kick.  Played disciplined football for Victoria Metro in the National's AFL Under 18 Championships, winning Australian honours.

32   Sam   Barnes   Bendigo Pioneers   189   86   29 March 1986   2   Medium outside defender who is very mobile and has an excellent leap.  From Sandhurst Football Club.

33   Andrew   Gilham   Oakleigh Chargers   186   84   19 August 1986   2   Medium defender who reads game well and is versatile.  Has very good work ethic and is footy smart.

34   Will   Hamill   Mt Gravatt    190   76   26 July 1986   8   Medium defender who reads the play well and is strong overhead.  Captained Queensland's U18 team in 2004.

35   Tim   Hill   Bendigo Pioneers   186   81   30 July 1986   14   Medium defender with line breaking speed and is a penetrating kick.  Victoria Country U18 team representative this year from Charlton.

36   Ryan   Jackson   Northern Knights   186   77   4 April 1987   1   Medium defender who can also play forward where he is dangerous around goal.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate this year - missed the national Championships due to injury.

37   Scott   McMahon   Woodville-West Torrens   184   83   2 June 1986   46   Medium defender who is excellent overhead and is a strong penetrating kick.  Won All Australian Under 18s honours this year representing SA.  From CMS Crows FC.

38   Ryan   Nye   Peel Thunder   181   79   21 June 1986   21   Medium defender who is a close checker and provides a good run.  WA U18 representative 2004 from Halls Head FC.

39   Paul   Richardson   Swan Districts   184   83   25 May 1986   51   Medium defender / midfielder who is strong at the ball and long left foot kick.  WA's U18 Captain in the National's AFL U18 Championships this year.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

40   Jordan   Russell   West Adelaide   186   74   6 November 1986   11   Medium midfielder / defender with very good disposal skills.  SA U18s representative in 2004 and had senior experience with West Adelaide.  From Edwardstown FC.

41   Alan   Toovey   Claremont   189   77   23 March 1987   30   Medium defender with terrific pace and strong tackler.  Left footer from Aquias College who won All Australian Under 18s honours this year.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate in 2003/4.

TALL FORWARDS

42   James   Angus   Woodville-West Torrens   191   84   9 October 1986   22   Tall forward who is very competitive and disciplined.  Had an injury interrupted season.  From Portland FC.

43   Matthew   Bate   Eastern Rangers   190   85   24 May 1987   10   Tall forward/defender with penetrating left foot and good pace.  Won Morrish medal in TAC Cup in 2004.  From Croydon FC.

44   Lynden   Dunn   Calder Cannons   192   90   14 May 1987   32   Tall forward who presents well; is competitive and sharp around goals.  From Mooney valley FC.

45   Luke   Forsyth   Dandenong Stingrays   187   71   2 February 1987   8   Medium forward who reads the play well and kicks goals.  From Karingal FC.

46   Chris   Gooley   Sandringham Dragons   193   84   4 March 1986   6   Tall forward who is a strong overhead mark, footy smart and competitive.  From Melbourne Grammar and twin to Sam Gooley.

47   Heath   Grundy   Norwood   190   86   2 June 1986   27   Strong marking tall forward / defender who is good one-on-one and mobile.  SA U18s representative in 2004 winning All Australian honours.  From Modbury FC.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

48   Andrew   Lee   Burnie   194   83   7 January 1986   8   Tall forward who is a good contested mark and very good kick for goal.  Tasmanian U18s representative in 2004.

49   Dean   Limbach   Calder Cannons   191   77   25 October 1986   15   Tall lightly built forward with terrific hands and athleticism.  Kicked 6 goals in round one of TAC Cup before injury interrupted his season.  From West Coburg FC.

50   Luke   McGuane   Broadbeach   192   77   12 February 1987   49   Tall forward who can play in the ruck.  Mobile and strong overhead.  Also talented hight jumper and distance runner.  Queensland U16 & U18 representative last 2 years.

51   Michael   Newton   Murray Bushrangers   192   82   27 April 1987   19   Lightly built forward or defender who is dangerous around goal and has good hands.  He is from Whorouly FC.

52   Beau   Wilkes   Claremont   193   90   20 March 1986   20   Tall forward with strong hands and good mark.  Has excellent work rate - WA U18s representative this year.

53   Tom   Williams   Morningside   195   86   17 July 1986   52   Tall athletic forward with only 12 months experience in the game after a rugby background.  Queensland U18 representative this year.

TALL DEFENDERS

54   Benet   Copping   Sturt   191   75   7 October 1986   30   Tall forward / defender who is a strong contested mark.  Shows good athleticism.  SA U18s representative in 2004.  From Mt Barker FC.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

55   Lance   Franklin   Perth   193   88   30 January 1987   5   Tall forward / defender with pace, agility and long penetrating left foot.  WA U18s representative in 2004 and graduate of AIS/AFL Academy.

56   Pat   Garner   West Magpies   193   80   16 March 1987   22   Tall defender / forward who is good overhead and quick.  Queensland U16 & U18 representative last 2 years.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

57   Sam   Gooley   Sandringham Dragons   193   76   4 March 1986   16   Tall forward / defender who is super competitive and good one-on-one.  From Melbourne Grammar and twin to Chris Gooley.

58   Adam   Hartlett   West Adelaide   194   83   22 April 1986   20   Tall defender / forward who is a strong mark and good kick at goal.  Makes good second efforts.  SA U18s representative this year.  From Edwardstown FC.

59   Ruory   Kirkby   Bendigo Pioneers   192   81   2 April 1986   26   Tall defender / forward who is very good overhead and mobile.  Had outstanding National's AFL U18s winning All Australian honours playing for Victoria Country.  From Echuca FC.

60   Thomas   Murphy   Sandringham Dragons   190   84   19 March 1986   18   Tall defender / forward who presents well across half forward and has good running ability.  Victoria Metro U18s representative this year.

61   Tom   Redden   Glenelg   190   74   18 June 1987   29   Tall defender / forward with a very competitive nature.  Progressed through U17 & U19 levels this year in the SANFL.  From Keith in country SA.

62   Jarryd   Roughead   Gippsland Power   193   85   23 March 1987   31   Left footed key defender / forward who is a strong mark and agile.  Victoria Country U18s representative this year - from Leongatha.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate 2003/4.

63   Will   Thursfield   Sandringham Dragons   190   75   19 April 1986   9   Tall defender / forward with excellent pace and natural leap.  From Ormond FC.

64   Michael   West   Redlands   195   85   16 February 1987   11   
Tall forward / defender who is athletic, a strong mark and good kick for goal.  Queensland U18s representative this year.

RUCKMEN

65   Fabian   Deluca   Eastern Rangers   201   96   27 January 1987   11   
Mobile developing ruckman who can take a strong mark up forward.  Member of AIS/AFL Academy in 2003/4 and Victoria Metro U18 representative this year, from Scoresby FC.

66   Chad   Gibson   Norwood   194   93   12 January 1987   4   
Tall forward / defender who can also play in the ruck.  Powerful athlete and a strong mark.  SA U18s representative this year along with AIS/AFL Academy in 2003/4. From Tea Tree Gully FC.

67   Ivan   Maric   Calder Cannons   197   93   4 January 1986   24   
Athletic ruckman with good leap and work rate.  Victoria Metro U18s representative this year.

68   John   Meesen   Geelong Falcons   200   88   20 June 1986   43   
Strong marking ruckman around the ground or up forward.  Impressive for Victoria Country in National's AFL U18s this year.

69   Shane   Neaves   Calder Cannons   197   91   11 May 1987   26   
Developing ruckman who is strong overhead and very athletic.  From Wallan FC.  AIS/AFL Academy graduate.

70   Adam   Pattison   Northern Knights   196   87   5 March 1986   9   
Tall forward or ruckman who is much improving winning the TAC Cup Coaches Award in 2004.  Strong Mark and presents in front.  He is from St Damians FC.

71   Earl   Shaw   Campbelltown   198   93   17 December 1986   22
Improving ruckman who excels at stoppages.  Athletic type who links up well around the ground.  NSW/ACT U18 representative in 2003/4.

72   Jesse   Wells   Burnie   196   84   1 October 1986   25
   Ruckman with good speed for his size.  Hampered by injury in 2004.

73   Ryan   Willitts   Northern Knights   196   96   23 January 1987   11   
Tall forward who can go back or in the ruck.  Takes a strong mark and long kick at goal.  Victoria Metro U16 & U18 representative in 2003-2004.  From St Mary's FC.

74   Cameron   Wood   West Adelaide   203   86   4 March 1987   30   
Developing ruckman who is mobile and quick with his hands.  Already had senior experience with West Adelaide and won All Australian U18 honours this year.  From Goodwood Saints FC.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 07:25:18 PM by mightytiges »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
2004 State Screening Camp Invitees
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2004, 07:32:28 PM »
http://www.wafl.com.au/cp2/c2/webi/article/030767by.doc

2004 STATE SCREENING CAMP INVITEES

Name    Surname    Region

NEW SOUTH WALES / ACT

AIS - Thurday, 30 September

Ed   Clarke   North Shore
Andrew   Hodgson   Pennant Hills
Adam   Prior   Murray

NORTHERN TERRITORY

SA Institute of Sport - Saturday, 9 October

Martie   Corrie   Nightcliff
Isaac   McLean   West Alice Springs
Travis   Natt   Waratahs

QUEENSLAND

BBC College - Monday, 4 October

Marcus   Allan   Northern Eagles
Andrew   Browning   Morningside
Matthew   Clarke   Labrador
Scott   Harding   Morningside
Ed   McDonnell   Western Magpies
Brad   Moran   Southport
Marty   Pask   Western Magpies
Cheynee   Stiller   Northern Eagles
Jake   Weller   Northern Eagles

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

SA Institute of Sport - Saturday, 9 October

Nick   Batchelor   Norwood
Michael   Coad   Sturt
Brad   DeVries   Norwood
Brayden   Fisher   West Adelaide
Gavin   Hughes   Norwood
Kyle   Jenner   Port Adelaide
Jack   Juniper   Sacred Heart
James   McLeay   Sturt
Scott   Purling   Sturt
Sean   Rusling    West Adelaide
Henry   Slattery   West Adelaide
Toby   Stribling   North Adelaide
Brad   Sugars   Glenelg
Craig   Taylor   Port Adelaide
Stephen    Tiller   West Adelaide
Elijah   Ware   Central Districts
David   Westbrok   Woodville-West Torrens

TASMANIA

Melbourne University - Saturday, 2 October

Allan   Bielski   North Launceston
Jarrod   Garth   Clarence
Todd   Grima   Sth Launceston
Sam   Lonergan   Launceston
Nathan   O'Donoghue   Launceston

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Challenge Stadium - Sunday, 10 October

Aaron   Bowers   Sth Fremantle
Luke   Blackwell   Swan Districts
Andrew   Clarke   Claremont
Morgan   Cooper   Sth Fremantle
Scott   Delmenico   Sth Fremantle
Cameron   Gauchi   Peel
Clinton   Jones   Sth Fremantle
Simon   Jones   Swan Districts
Brendan   Jones   Perth
Leigh   Martin   Sth Fremantle
Haydyn   North   Sth Fremantle
Heritier   O'Brien   Claremont
Matt   Priddis   Subiaco
Adam   Rowles   West Perth
Darren   Rumble   Subiaco
Andrew   Ruck   Claremont
Andrew   Swallow   East Fremantle
James   Thompson   Perth
Ashley   Thornton   Peel
Jai   Taylor   East Fremantle

VICTORIA

Melbourne University - Saturday, 2 October

Nathan   Anderson   Nth Ballarat
Daniel   Batson   Nth Ballarat
Alipate   Carlile   Murray
Taylor   Collins   Gippsland
Sam   Dwyer   Geelong
Shannon   Emmett   Murray
Benjamin   Fraser   Gippsland
Tom   Hallam   Bendigo
Stephen   Henshaw   Gippsland
Ryan   Herring   Nth Ballarat
Jack   Hill   Murray
Adam   Jansen   Warragul
Scott   Meyer   Gippsland
Kristopher   Pendlebury   Gippsland
Tim   Sheringham   Geelong
Hamish   Troon   Geelong College
Brendan   Van Shaik   Murray
Renwick   Watts   Geelong
Jordan   Wood   Murray
Seamus   Young   Bendigo
Troy   Armstrong   Eastern
Steve   Bailey   Box Hill Hawks
Jackson   Barling   Calder
James   Barton   Oakleigh
Todd   Burley   Eastern
Ryce   Carter   Werribee
David   Codron   Sandringham
Jarrod   Dalton   Eastern
Ben   Davies   Western
James   Ezard   Calder
Rudi   Falovic   Eastern
Will   Fitzpatrick   Carey/Oakleigh
Stefan   Garrubba   Dandenong
Sam   Gibson   Oakleigh
Josh   Gibson   Port Melbourne
Luke   Herrington   Dandenong
John   Holmes   Eastern
Luke   Jarrad   Williamstown
Evan   Johnson   Eastern
Ben   Jolley   Calder
Chris   Knights   Eastern
Myles   Krakouer   Oakleigh
Jon   Laver   Oakleigh
Mark   Lynch   Northern
Guy   Martyn   Sandringham
Dale   May   Calder
Byron   Murphy   Frankston
Rowan   Nanya   Dandenong
Jono   Pearce   Scotch College
James   Quinton   Northern
Anthony   Raso   Dandenong
James   Rimington   Oakleigh
Sam   Robertson   Calder
Marc    Rovere    Northern
Ben   Schwarz   Port Melbourne
Jesse D   Smith   Calder
Pat   Sowersby   Oakleigh
Chris   Stewart   Northern
Brad   Sutcliffe   Western
Matthew   Thomas   Sandringham
Wayde   Twomey   Western
Matt   White   Calder

froars

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2004, 10:06:46 PM »
Anyone know what Myles Krakouer is like?

RonBranton

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2004, 10:11:06 PM »
small, artistic, creative and dark

Jackstar

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2004, 11:02:05 PM »
Myles likes you too Ron even though you are white !

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
News on Wood and Monfries from the Adelaide Advertiser.
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2004, 01:26:33 AM »
The Adelaide Advertiser reported that ruckman Cameron Wood played a starring role in the U19 SANFL GF for West Adelaide in their comfortable win over Norwood.

In other news, Monfries had 7 kicks, 6 HB, 2 marks and kicked a goal for Sturt in their senior SANFL PF loss to the W-WT Eagles. There was pic of him in the paper. Obviously capable to play against men in senior footy.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2004 AFL Draft Camp Timetable
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2004, 04:28:30 PM »
National Bank's 2004 AFL Draft Camp Timetable
afl.com.au
11:02:55 AM Tue 28 September, 2004

With information and knowledge being the AFL club recruiting managers’ major tools, the greater insight gained through both the camp at the AIS and later at state screening sessions is invaluable in assisting AFL clubs fine-tune their options on players they are considering for selection at the National Bank’s AFL Draft, which this year will be held on Saturday, November 20, in Melbourne.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28

4.30pm – Players arrive from all states and territories.

6pm – Dinner.

7pm – Medical checks by Dr Tim Wood and visual screening by Pat Gerry.

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29

7.30am – Breakfast

8.30am – Camp welcome

Outline of camp requirements conducted by Kevin Sheehan and Kinnear Beatson.

9am-noon – Fitness assessment for Group One by David Pyne: height and weight, sit and reach, skinfolds, arm length and handspan.
– Medical screening for Group Two.

12.15pm – Lunch

1.15-5pm – Psychomotor tests for Group Two by Dr Noel Blundell: reaction time, decision-making and peripheral awareness.
– Medical screening for Group One.

5.30-6.30pm – Dinner for players and staff.

6.30-10pm – Introduction to AFL recruiting personnel.

AFL club informal interviews conducted by recruiting managers.

Individual player taped interviews conducted by Craig Notman and Quinton Gleeson.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 30

7.30am – Breakfast

8.15-9am – TAIS appraisal

9.15-11.30am – Fitness assessment (position grouping, all players) by David Pyne: sprint, agility and vertical jump.

11.30-12.30pm – Transition to the AFL: Panel featuring Kevin Sheehan (AFL), Brendon Gale (AFLPA) and two National Bank's AFL Rising Star nominees, Brent Stanton (Essendon) and Daniel Cross (Western Bulldogs).

12.30-1.30pm – Lunch for players and staff.

1.30-4.30pm – Fitness assessment for Group Two by David Pyne: height and weight, sit and reach, skinfolds, arm length and handspan.

Psychomotor tests for Group One by Dr Noel Blundell: reaction time, decision-making and peripheral awareness.

5pm – Fitness assessment: shuttle run and recovery in pool complex.

6-7.30pm – Dinner for players, staff and AFL clubs.

7.30-10pm – AFL club informal interviews conducted by recruiting managers.

Individual player taped interviews conducted by Craig Notman and Quinton Gleeson.

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1

7-8am – Breakfast and checkout.

8.15am – Bus to Manuka Oval.

9-10.30am – Skills session with Chris Fagan (Melbourne FC) and Steve Malaxos, Kelly O’Donnell and Chris Waterman (Fremantle FC).

10.45am – Bus back to AIS.

11.30am-12.30pm – Lunch (AFL club staff to arrange own lunch).

12.30-2pm – AFL club informal interviews conducted by recruiting managers.

2.30-3.30pm – Fitness assessment by David Pyne: 3km time trials.

3.30pm – Camp review by Kevin Sheehan.

4pm – Players depart from athletics track for airport. Dinner served on flights.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=aflfocus&spg=display&articleid=173163

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: 2004 AFL Draft Camp Timetable
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2004, 04:53:01 PM »
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1

12.30-2pm – AFL club informal interviews conducted by recruiting managers.

I can see it now Tezza, Armstrong and Greg Miller sitting across from Deledio - "so Brett are you happy to go with 3 years rather than the standard 2 years" :thumbsup

After Deledio, comes Cameron Wood - "Now Cam if everything goes to plan with trading Judas oops we mean Ottens we should have another top 10 pick - so if you're around at say pick 7 - we'll take you"  :thumbsup

:bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: potential draftees thread
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2004, 12:14:17 AM »
Record runs catch the eye at AFL draft camp
By Emma Quayle
Canberra
realfooty.theage.com.au
October 1, 2004

Perth midfielder Nathan Van Berlo and South Australia's Danyle Pierce captured many a recruiter's eye on day two of the AFL draft camp yesterday, setting camp records in the agility run and sprint.

Pierce, a speedy onballer from Sturt, equalled the 2.79-second record for the 20-metre sprint set by Western Bulldog Steven Koops at the 1995 camp.

Richard Tambling, a likely top-five choice at next month's national draft, also equalled Koops' time, before Pierce ran even faster in his second sprint to make the record his own.

Van Berlo, who represented Western Australia at the under-18 national championships this year, set his record in the agility run, beating the 7.95-second mark set by Fremantle midfielder Byron Schammer two years ago.

The West Perth player also performed best at the gruelling beep test, reaching level 15.02, short of the shared 16.06 level set by Geelong midfielder David Spriggs in 1999 and Sydney's Jarrad McVeigh in 2002.

The camp ends today, with a skills session and a three-kilometre time trial.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/09/30/1096527863575.html?from=storyrhs