Author Topic: AFL U18 Championships/potential draftees thread  (Read 19629 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Draft Camp Diary: Day Two
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2004, 03:31:45 PM »
Draft Camp Diary: Day Two
7:56:09 PM Thu 30 September, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Matt Burgan reports on Thursday's happenings at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.

2004 National Bank's AFL Draft Camp diary - Day two

8:15-9am
TAIS appraisal

Alan Toovey, Claremont, WA
"We haven't ever done anything quite like that (before), so it was something a bit different. There were 120-140 questions about different ways on how you react in different situations and what things distract you. They said at the start that there was no right or wrong answers and different personalities do different things. They had questions, which you had to answer with 'always' or 'never' and it had questions like - 'Do you get into fights at school?' or 'How highly to do study?' It took about half-an-hour. Everyone pretty much finished at the same time."

9:15-11:30am
Fitness assessment
Sprint

Danyle Pearce, Sturt, SA
"I was pretty excited when I found out (I equaled the record). I was aiming for the sprint record - me and Richard (Tambling) - we were aiming for it, but it was bit of a surprise I actually got it. I wasn't expecting to get it. When I heard (Nathan Van Berlo) broke the agility this morning, I was thinking that'd be tough. I was aiming for (Fremantle's Byron) Schammer's record, but I didn't think I'd get the record. I was aiming, not really for the agility, just the sprint - I thought I could get that but getting both was really good."

Agility

Nathan Van Berlo, West Perth, WA
"I was actually quite surprised at how well I went. My personal best before that was 8.20 when I was at a practice draft camp screening. I managed to get it down that low, but to do it that quick today, it was pretty pleasing. I got 7.80 and I was pipped at the end by 7.79 (Pearce). Records don't worry me at all, I'm just out there to do the best I can and that's more than I would have asked for myself, so I'm stoked with that. The first time I did it, I got an 8.60 and I had a look at all of the previous bests and they were around 7.95, so I thought I've got to work on that a bit. But back at the screenings in WA, I was working quite hard on that, so I could improve on that the best that I could and I managed to get it down to an 8.20, which I was pretty comfortable (with) and to come here today and do a good time, I was really happy with."

Vertical jump

Richard Tambling, Southern Districts, NT
"They weren't too bad. The vertical jump, I've always of had a natural jump, but I didn't do too bad today - I've done better, but you can't always do your best."

11:30am-12:30pm
Transition to the AFL - Panel featuring Kevin Sheehan (AFL), Brendon Gale (AFLPA), National Bank's AFL rising star nominees - Brent Stanton (Essendon) and Daniel Cross (Western Bulldogs)

Andrew Gilham, Oakleigh Chargers, VIC
"It was definitely (a good insight into the AFL), because you've got to realise that getting on an AFL list is just a start. It's a whole different thing, gaining respect of the senior players and coaching staff. One of the things he (Cross) said he's worked on is just improving each year. It was good to hear. Brent Hartigan said he was nowhere near getting a gig at the draft camp, even though he won a best-and-fairest at Calder, after (playing in a) winning grand final. His experience was the state screening and he put in a really quick time for the 20-metre sprint, so a few clubs noticed him and a few clubs said they would take him at pick 40 or 50. By the time pick 60 came around, he was a bit worried and he thought they all deserted him, but Richmond called out his name at pick 70. Kevin Sheehan said - 'It didn't matter whether you're number one or number 70, once you're there, you've got an opportunity. (Gale) wished us the best of luck and for those who go on and make (the AFL), the AFLPA is there to support you and help you along and 100 per cent of the AFL players are involved, so they must be doing the right things by the players, which is good to hear."

1:30-4:30pm

Fitness assessment
Height and weight, sit and reach, skinfolds, arm length and handspan (group two)

Sam Barnes, Bendigo Pioneers, VIC
"With the heights, we just got our back up against the wall under a big height measurer and they put your feet together and then you (had to) stretch. They then grab your neck and stretch it up and that's your height. With the weight, you just take your shoes off and jump on the scales. They did the skinfolds and they did the sit and reach, which was pretty hard on the hammys. They did an eye test, where we had to hold some beads (near our nose), so that was a bit different."

Psychomotor tests
Reaction time, decision-making and peripheral awareness (group one)

Cameron Wood, West Adelaide, SA
"The first one was reacting to a light and (then) just pushing it as quick as you see it. The second one was with a joystick and lights and it tests your peripheral vision and the other one was hitting a series of lights in 30 seconds, as quick as you can. It was harder than it looks, but once you get up there (in the room), you get into it pretty quick."

5pm

Fitness assessment
Shuttle run (aka beep test)

Lynden Dunn, Calder Cannons, VIC
"I was happy to get (level) 14.6 - that was a personal best for myself, so I aimed around the 14-mark, so anything above (level) 14, I was going to be rapt with, so it was alright. I've done a few, not too many, just over the pre-season last year. From level 11, I counted down the beeps. Getting 14.6 for a big bloke is alright, so it's not going to do any harm. I've just been complimented off my mates, but I'm not expecting too much from it, it's just a beep test."

Recovery in pool

Danny Meyer, Glenelg, SA
"It was obviously pretty challenging (the beep test). I had to push myself pretty hard towards the end. My main goal was just to get over (level) 13 and got (level) 13.4 in the end, so it wasn't too bad. It was obviously just good to get it over and down with in the end. I was pretty exhausted afterwards - that's for sure - but the water recovery was fantastic. I was just glad I achieved what I wanted to do, so I was pretty happy. The scouts seemed pretty impressed, so hopefully all goes well."

7:30-10pm

AFL club informal interviews conducted by recruiting managers

Adam Hartlett, West Adelaide, SA
"It was pretty good. They were pretty easy questions - they were a lot less stressful (than the AFL club interviews) I can tell you that. They were more family-based questions and where you can improve your game. They were similar to the questions you get from the coaches, but it was a lot less intense that's for sure. You don't get any curly (questions) from (Port Adelaide coach) Mark Williams, but it was pretty straight forward."

Individual player taped interviews

Jordan Lewis, Geelong Falcons, VIC
"It was not too bad. Choco (Williams) asked a few questions out of the blue, which were pretty tough to answer, but you've got to come up with the best answer in those situations, so it's gone pretty good and I'm pretty happy with that. I've had about eight (interviews) and I've got one more tomorrow (Friday) with Adelaide to finish off. Mostly (the questions) were about your family and they were finding out about your background and how you'd find it moving interstate. (They asked) about your social life, so it was basically a background (check) on you and your family. My first interview was pretty nerve-wracking, so you know what to say now."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=173580
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Griffen fancied as top pick
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »
Griffen fancied as top pick
9:46:46 PM Thu 30 September, 2004
Matt Burgan in Canberra
Sportal

South Australian under-18 coach Darren Trevena believes exciting South Adelaide midfielder Ryan Griffen has the ability to be the first player selected in this year's National Bank's AFL Draft.

Trevena - who coached the Northern Territory to its first under-18 title in 2002 and who has since succeeded in lifting South Australia's fortunes at the championships - said Griffen was right in the mix to claim the number one mantle in 2004.

"The big one is Griffen this year, and I'd like to see him be around the same mark like (Western Bulldogs Adam) Cooney at number one, which would be great to back up again with South Australia being the number one draft pick, two years in succession," Trevena told Sportal.

"It'll be interesting to see whether he goes one, two or three."

Trevena also suggested beanpole ruckman Cameron Wood and midfielders Angus Monfries and Danny Meyer were set to be first-round selections at this year's draft.

"The next one that will come in is Cameron Wood, who has great skills for a big guy and is 203cm and got a love of footy and is a pretty happy fella, so I think he'll come in around the top six," Trevena said.

"I think (Angus) Monfires will come around Adelaide. I know Adelaide is pretty keen on him. He has a super work ethic. He's got a big engine. He's got a great footy brain and I know that's what'll sell him over the line.

"Meyer has great potential. But we haven't seen enough about him yet. He's a bit like Gavin Wanganeen - he's got some great evasive skills and he also knows his distance in shooting for goal. He's lively in the forward half and has a great vertical leap as well."

Trevena nominated Sturt's Danyle Pearce as one player to keep an eye on, particularly after he blitzed in the agility and sprint tests at the National Bank's AFL Draft Camp on Thursday.

"He's broken two records at the camp and he ran a (level) 14 in a beep-test. He's a guy that probably didn't have the best of carnivals (this year), but has played well at SANFL level in the seniors and has really thrown his name up in the testing procedures, so I'll be interested to see how that reflects on where he goes and if he gets a chance."

With a number of other South Australia's at the camp and set for the state-based screening, Trevena said he was delighted the Croweaters were well represented in the talent pool in 2004.

"This year we've had 15 players come to the draft camp, 14 from the academy, which is a huge bonus for South Australia itself," Trevena said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=173582

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tambling unfazed by draft focus
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2004, 04:09:18 PM »
Tambling unfazed by draft focus
10:53:25 PM Thu 30 September, 2004
Matt Burgan in Canberra
Sportal

Exciting young Northern Territorian Richard Tambling says he is ready to carry the mantle of being the number one draftee - if he happens to be the first player to be selected in this year's November National Bank's AFL Draft.

The brilliant young goalkicking midfielder said on Thursday at the National Bank's AFL Draft Camp that he has carried the weight of being one of the most sought-after players in the country for some time now and has since learned to deal with the expectations.

"It's not too bad. I'm just focused on what you have to do and what the task at hand (is) and not worry about what everyone else is saying and what's going on around you and (I'm just) trying to do my best," Tambling told Sportal.

"Number one comes with a lot of pressure - so does two and three - but number two and three get it a lot easier because everyone forgets about them and they concentrate on number one.

"But I think I've handled things before in situations where the pressure's on and pulled through with it, so if I do go number one it'll be good, but number two and three wouldn't be too bad either."

Tambling, who is shaping as likely to be drafted by Richmond or Hawthorn with either the first or second selection in the draft, said he was pleased that he was attracting plenty of attention from the recruiting managers and AFL club officials.

"It feels good that you're actually being noticed, but you've got to try and blank it out and concentrate," Tambling said.

Tambling, who won the McLean Medal and Harrison Medal in the National Bank's AFL under-16 and under-18 championships in 2002 and 2004 respectively, said he was excited at the prospect of moving from the Top End to embark on an AFL career.

"I don't think I'll find it difficult at all. I've been wanting to move out of home for the last three years, so I'll be looking forward to getting out of Darwin," Tambling said.

"(My) preference is always the club you go for and I go for Essendon, so I'd love to go there, but other than that I don't really care (where I go), I just want to play footy."

An AIS/AFL academy graduate and All-Australian in 2004, Tambling was also rapt to be the inaugural skipper of the under-18 Allies side, when he led the combine out against Victoria at Optus Oval during grand final week this year.

"It was a very good highlight to captain the first under-age Allies. The team got up with a win after knowing each other for two days and the team came together really well in the end," Tambling said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=173584

RonBranton

Re: AFL U18 Championships/potential draftees thread
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »
"I don't think I'll find it difficult at all. I've been wanting to move out of home for the last three years, so I'll be looking forward to getting out of Darwin," Tambling said.

...................that makes me feel a whole lot better - fwiw............

Jackstar

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2004, 05:17:24 PM »
No 1 he will be , Tambling that is ! ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Ruckmen hit the heights at draft camp
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2004, 01:55:46 AM »
Ruckmen hit the heights at draft camp
By Emma Quayle
Canberra
realfooty.theage.com.au
October 2, 2004

Ruckmen can expect to feature prominently in the first round of next month's AFL national draft, given their impressive collective effort at the draft camp in Canberra this week.

Midfielders Danyle Pearce and Nathan Van Berlo entered their names in the record book with best-ever times in the 20-metre sprint and agility runs, but several taller prospects performed well in the speed, endurance and leap tests, giving clubs plenty to ponder.

South Australian ruckman Chad Gibson tested well, recording the highest standing vertical jump and notching the sixth fastest sprint.

Northern Knights player Adam Pattison ran a 14.2 beep test and performed well in the three-kilometre time-trial that completed the three-day camp yesterday.

Geelong ruckman John Meesen also showed good endurance, and 203-centimetre Fabian Deluca, the younger brother of Carlton player Adrian, scored what was considered the best reaction-time test scores recorded for a taller player.

Queensland's Tom Williams (196 centimetres) and Calder Cannon forward Lynden Dunn (192) were also among the tall prospects to test well, and highly rated Darwin midfielder Richard Tambling finished in the top 10 in most tests, as did Murray Bushranger Brett Deledio.

The AFL's national talent manager, Kevin Sheehan, nominated Gippsland midfielder Andrew McQualter as a player who had enhanced his draft chances with an impressive camp, and said Pearce and Van Berlo had also given clubs something to think about.

Van Berlo broke Fremantle midfielder Byron Schammer's agility run record on the second day, but had his record beaten by Pearce half an hour later.

"We know those boys have got something special, which you need to have. Sometimes it can be your brilliant speed or your goalkicking ability, and here it's the brilliant speed, so now it's a matter of where that can fit in at an AFL club," Sheehan said.

"They've brought themselves under notice because they're got that little bit of something extra."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/01/1096527942501.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2004, 02:03:27 AM »
No 1 he will be , Tambling that is ! ;)

With Deledio apparently overcoming glandular fever (?) and Griffen's knee, Tambling has moved up in many people's eyes during the draft camp. Still worried about his light weight given Richmond's recent history with drafting skinny players  :-\.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Deledio easy with top pick status
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2004, 08:47:24 PM »
Deledio easy with top pick status
5:19:54 PM Fri 1 October, 2004
Matt Burgan in Canberra
Sportal

Richard Tambling, Ryan Griffen and Lance 'Buddy' Franklin are among the best young players who are set to be snapped up early at this year's National Bank's AFL Draft in November.

But the one who is looming as this year's number one is Murray Bushrangers' midfielder Brett Deledio.

The 17-year-old, who hails from the great sporting town of Kyabram in country Victoria was remaining calm about the prospect of being the number one pick.

"Being in the top few, there's not a lot you can do about that, so you have no control and you just kick back and relax like everyone does," Deledio told Sportal.

"After yesterday (Thursday at the draft camp), I felt the pressure a bit with the expectation that everyone thought I would be number one, but before that it was just my goal to get drafted, and whatever number that is, I don't mind."

With Richmond having the first crack in the draft, Deledio is looming at this stage as the favourite to head to Punt Rd, despite the fact that the Tigers are also considering Tambling, Griffen and Franklin.

Deledio said he had spoken to Hawthorn, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Carlton and Adelaide during his time at the National Bank's AFL Draft Camp, held at the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra.

But he is more than comfortable with the fact that he will have to move from the country to start a new chapter in his life, which is certain to be in Melbourne.

"It doesn't worry me at all. I've been away from home for extended periods of time, so it doesn’t really worry me."

Deledio said his father Wayne, who played one match for Carlton in 1975, had been a 'huge' influence in his career, along with former Kangaroos and Melbourne player and Bushrangers coach Xavier Tanner, and former Fitzroy player and Victoria Country Leon Harris.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=173788

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
2004 Draft Camp Results
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2004, 08:49:24 PM »
Draft Camp Results
5:24:48 PM Fri 1 October, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal
2004 National Bank's AFL Draft Camp

Height

Cameron Wood (West Adelaide) - 203.90cm
Fabian Deluca (Eastern Ranges) - 203.20cm
John Meesen (Geelong Falcons) - 199.30cm
Shane Neaves (Calder Cannons) - 199.00cm
Earl Shaw (Campbelltown) - 198.90cm
Adam Pattison (Northern Knights) - 197.90cm
Ivan Maric (Calder Cannons) - 197.80cm
Ryan Willitts (Northern Knights) - 197.30cm
Tom Williams (Morningside) - 196.10cm
Lance Franklin (Perth) - 195.90cm

Mass (kilograms)

Ryan Willitts (Northern Knights) - 99.9kg
Fabian Deluca (Eastern Ranges) - 97.0kg
Shane Neaves (Calder Cannons) - 96.6kg
Earl Shaw (Campbelltown) - 96.2kg
Ivan Maric (Calder Cannons) - 95.7kg
Jesse Wells (Burnie) - 93.7kg
Chad Gibson (Norwood) - 93.4kg
Heath Grundy (Norwood) - 92.2kg
Beau Wilkes (Claremont) - 90.6kg
Adam Pattison (Northern Knights) - 89.8kg

20-metre sprint

Danyle Pearce (Sturt) - 2.79sec
Richard Tambling (Southern Districts) - 2.87sec
Jordan Russell (West Adelaide) - 2.89sec
Brett Deledio (Murray Bushrangers) - 2.90sec
Jesse Wells (Burnie) - 2.95sec
Chad Gibson (Norwood) - 2.95sec
Tim Hill (Bendigo Pioneers) - 2.95sec
Chris Egan (Murray Bushrangers) - 2.95sec
Clinton Young (North Ballarat Rebels) - 2.97sec
Jarred Moore (Dandenong Stingrays) - 3.00sec

Standing vertical jump

Chad Gibson (Norwood) - 73.0cm
Danyle Pearce (Sturt) - 70cm
Tim Hill (Bendigo Pioneers) - 70cm
Brett Deledio (Murray Bushrangers) - 68.0cm
Angus Monfries (Sturt) - 68.0cm
Matt Little (Calder Cannons) - 67.0cm
Jordan Lewis (Geelong Falcons) - 67.0cm
Richard Tambling (Southern Districts) - 66.0cm
Jayden Attard (Dandenong Stingrays) - 66.0cm
Dean Limbach (Calder Cannons) - 65.0cm

Running vertical jump

Danyle Pearce (Sturt) - 96cm
Chris Egan (Murray Bushrangers) - 94cm
Richard Tambling (Southern Districts) - 93cm
Brett Deledio (Murray Bushrangers) - 92cm
Dean Limbach (Calder Cannons) - 90cm
Tom Williams (Morningside) - 87cm
Danny Meyer (Glenelg) - 87cm
Chad Gibson (Norwood) - 86cm
Damien McCormack (Dandenong Stingrays) - 84cm
Ryan Willitts (Northern Knights) - 83cm

Agility run

Danyle Pearce (Sturt) - 7.79sec
Nathan Van Berlo (West Perth) - 7.80sec
Andrew McQualter (Gippsland Power) - 8.00sec
Andrew Lee (Burnie) - 8.04sec
Mark Le Cras (West Perth) - 8.18sec
Dean Polo (Gippsland Power) - 8.19sec
Richard Tambling (Southern Districts) - 8.20sec
Jesse Wells (Burnie) - 8.22sec
Adam Thomson (Sturt) - 8.25sec
Jordan Russell (West Adelaide) - 8.29sec

Shuttle run

Nathan Van Berlo (West Perth) - Level 15.2
Andrew McQualter (Gippsland Power) - 15.1
Dean Polo (Gippsland Power) - 14.7
Lynden Dunn (Calder Cannons) - 14.6
Brent Prismall (Western Jets) - 14.2
Adam Pattison (Northern Knights) - 14.2
Matthew Bate (Eastern Ranges) - 14.1
Tom Williams (Morningside) - 14.1
Clinton Young (North Ballarat Rebels) - 14.1
Matt Rosa (North Ballarat Rebels) - 14.1

3km time-trail

Nathan Van Berlo (West Perth) - 10min 35sec
Tom Williams (Morningside) - 10:36
Andrew McQualter (Gippsland Power) - 10:38
Ryan Jackson (Northern Knights) - 10:40
Beau Wilkes (Claremont) - 10:42
Matt Rosa (North Ballarat Rebels) - 10:44
Dean Polo (Gippsland Power) - 10:44
John Meeson (Geelong Falcons) - 10:44
Danyle Pearce (Sturt) - 10:45
Adam Pattison (Northern Knights) - 10:46

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=173790

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Lance Franklin packs bags for draft
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 02:59:49 AM »
Franklin packs bags for draft
11 October 2004   
Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

WEST Australian Lance Franklin says he'll have no hesitation packing his bags and shifting across the Nullarbor Plain should a Victorian club call his name on draft day.

The Perth teenager, better known as "Buddy", is considered a top-five prospect for the national draft on November 20 -- and Victorians have the first seven picks, making a move a near certainty.

Franklin, 17, admitted the thought of moving interstate was daunting, but said he'd be prepared to go anywhere to play AFL footy.

"It doesn't bother me if I have to come to Victoria," Franklin said.

"My grandparents are over there and my uncle. So I'd probably start off with them and then my parents would come over.

"I'm still only 17 and I'm still at school, so it would be a big move. But it would be a good move."

Franklin joined more than 70 AFL hopefuls at the draft camp in Canberra at the start of the month, and made the most of his final opportunity to leave a lasting impression on club recruiters.

Franklin was interviewed by Richmond, Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs, the clubs that hold the first six picks in the draft.

Franklin said he had also been approached by Carlton before the camp.

"It's been going pretty good for me at this stage," the modest Franklin said.

"The draft camp (was) a bit intense, but I met a few coaches, so that (was) good.

"It's pretty daunting (meeting the coaches). But it's a good experience."

It's little wonder Franklin caught their attention.

At 193cm, Franklin can play at either end of the ground, although he said his preferred position was centre half-forward, and boasts pace, agility and a penetrating left-foot kick.

Franklin, who grew up supporting Melbourne, represented WA at the under-18 national championships and is a graduate of the AIS-AFL Academy.

Also a talented cricketer and basketballer, he hails from a sporting family.

His father Lance played hockey for Victoria and his sisters Bianca and Bree are both national-level netballers.

Despite his other talents, Franklin, who teaches footy to the Year 8 students at his school, has never been tempted to pursue a different sporting career.

"Footy's all I've ever really wanted to do," he said.

"So I'm starting to get a bit nervous (about the draft) now. Hopefully it all goes OK."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11034559%255E20322,00.html
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 03:04:31 AM by mightytiges »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Angus Monfries
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2004, 03:20:14 PM »
The value of senior experience
1:46:22 PM Tue 26 October, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

Sturt midfielder Angus Monfries believes having played against senior footballers with mature bodies will hold him in good stead, when he makes the transition from the SANFL to the AFL.

And although Monfries was not as forthright in claiming his status as a certain selection at the National Bank AFL Draft next month, there is no doubt the prolific ball-winner will be snapped up, possibly as high as a top 10 pick.

But having had six senior SANFL matches under his belt, Monfries is certain it will be a great benefit in his development.

"It's definitely been a great experience for me, just being able to play against the older blokes," Monfries told Sportal.

"It's probably taught you a lot and having to play against the bigger bodies, probably prepares you a bit better for what you want to achieve later down the track."

Monfries made his senior debut in the SANFL in 2003 - playing one match - while he added five to his tally this year.

On top of that he was a member of the AIS/AFL academy squad in 2003-04, which included Australian representation against Ireland in April.

He also played for South Australia in the National Bank's AFL under-18 championships in 2004 and was duly rewarded with All-Australian selection after an outstanding carnival.

"It was a good experience (playing in the championships), but it was a bit disappointing because we didn't get over the line in the last game," Monfries said.

"I then went back and played a few senior games with Sturt, which was good and I got a few finals games, so it was a bit disappointing we didn't win against the Eagles. (But) it was an awesome experience, with the finals pressure and the big crowd."

A South Australian cross-country running champion, who also excelled at swimming, water polo, cricket and baseball, Monfries says the possibility of moving interstate - despite being an Adelaide supporter - does not faze him in the slightest.

"To be honest, it doesn't worry me at all. I just want to play AFL footy, so I'd be prepared to go anywhere to achieve that goal of mine, so it doesn't worry me at all," Monfries said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176081

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Ryan Griffen calm as D-Day approaches
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2004, 03:54:02 PM »
Griffen calm as D-Day approaches
4:29:22 PM Sun 7 November, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal

South Adelaide midfielder Ryan Griffen says he is coping with the focus of being one of the most highly sought after players in the lead-up to this year's National Bank's AFL Draft.

Griffen is touted as a top six selection and many believe he will be taken as a priority pick, which is one of only three selections, before the first round begins at No.4.

And the footy-smart youngster, who has terrific foot skills, is taking it all in his stride.

"It's alright. I can handle it, but sometimes you stress out a little bit by papers and (people) ringing you up. But it's all good and it's all part of it, so you've got to do it," Griffen told Sportal.

Hailing from Goolwa, around 50km south of Adelaide and near Victor Harbour, Griffen, who follows Adelaide, said the almost-certain scenario that he will be drafted by a Victorian club did not worry him too much, although he has strong family ties.

"I'm prepared to go, but it will trouble me a little bit because I'm close to my family and friends, but apart from that it will be alright (because) it will be a good experience, just to basically start a new life," Griffen said.

An AIS/AFL academy graduate, Griffen was also rewarded with All-Australian selection after a terrific carnival at this year's National Bank's AFL under-18 championships.

It was just one of a number of highlights for Griffen, who said he was pleased with his 2004 season, which also saw him play in the SANFL seniors for South Adelaide.

"It's been great because I started off in reserves and then got into league, which helped me because I got to play against men, but I carried a (knee) injury all year," Griffen said.

"At the end of the season I got an operation on my knee, which will probably help for next year, but apart from that I reckon I've done all right."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=176943

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: potential draftees thread - Tambling article (herald-sun)
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2004, 02:56:42 AM »
Humpty Doo hopeful destined for greatness
16 November 2004   Herald Sun
Jon Anderson

ANTICIPATION hung in the air on July 7 as watchers waited for an on-field excitement package named Richard Tambling to explode on to the scene.

One to watch: Richard Tambling is likely to a be a top-three pick in Saturday's draft.
Picture: Michael Dodge

The Northern Territory under-18 captain was under a heavy tag from Tasmania's Jason Howard.

But seasoned observers knew it was only a matter of time before Tambling blew the division two match apart.

The moment came early in the third quarter when Tambling, with a combination of blistering pace and sublime skill, gathered the ball at the 50m mark in front of the once-named John Elliott Stand on the Optus Oval boundary line.

Turning quickly and seemingly too far out, Tambling took a couple of steps inside 50m before sending the ball through post-high.

For his on-field minder Howard and the rest of us, it was an act to savour, one that we would recall years later when Tambling had fulfilled his obvious destiny of becoming an AFL star.

For Tambling, it appeared nothing special as he made his way quickly back to the centre square after a brief moment of celebration.

A couple of minutes later, he kicked another goal after picking up the ball on a burst and leaving two Tasmanian chasers in his wake as he ran into goal.

Twelve weeks later Tambling took his place at the AFL draft camp at the AIS in Canberra, pitting his skills against the best teenagers in the country.

When it came time for the running vertical leap, Tambling decided to have a bit of fun before the start of testing.

"It's this pole with heaps of pegs in it and you run up and jump, touching the pegs as high as you can," said 18-year-old Tambling yesterday from his job as a trainee in the AFL's Darwin office.

"We were just mucking around when I accidentally went over the top of the pole."

It meant some frantic resetting before the real stuff began, but the story quickly got around the numerous recruiting officers.

Ultimately, Tambling finished second in the running vertical leap with a jump of 93cm, a finish he matched with his time of 2.87sec for the 20m sprint.

As AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan says, in terms of sheer speed Tambling may just be the quickest he's seen.

"I'm not just speaking about foot speed, but more reaction time, both on and off the ground," Sheehan said.

"He's also a great personality, a kid who is bright as a button and good fun to be around."

Tambling, who hails from Darwin's Southern Districts, the same club with which Magpies captain Nathan Buckley and Brisbane Lion Jared Brennan played, arrives in Melbourne on Friday to attend the draft.

He has spoken to "most of the clubs", but he does not care where he ends up.

"I just can't wait to move away from Darwin so I can start to play in the AFL," Tambling said.

"I have been to Melbourne about eight times in my life, and I spent a bit of time with Richmond, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs when we played there in Grand Final week last year.

"What I found with the clubs is how positive they were about next year, even though they hadn't made the finals. It was very good for me to learn about those teams as I think I'll end up in Melbourne."

Richmond is expected to use its first selection to pick Brett Deledio, with Hawthorn and the Bulldogs to choose between Tambling and South Australian Ryan Griffen.

Tambling's previous trips to Melbourne have come via his prodigious talent, one that first saw him visit for the under-12 national primary school championships in 1998.

It was an eye-opener for a boy from a small settlement 50km outside Darwin known as Humpty Doo Station.

From that base, and later Fifteen Mile Community, Tambling was also able to indulge his other great passion of hunting.

"I love getting out bush and fishing for barramundi or hunting magpie geese and pigs, and I'll miss that in Melbourne," Tambling said.

"But footy will take up all my time, plus next year I'm hoping to complete my VCE so I can one day teach physical education."

If he has an inkling of his new home, Tambling refuses to let on.

But he admits Melbourne would suit him because he knows former Darwin players such as Aaron Davey, Daniel Motlop and Dean Rioli.

When he eventually plays his first senior game, Tambling will become the 43rd Northern Territorian to play at senior AFL level.

Michael Long, Michael McLean and Maurice Rioli remain the elder statesmen of the game in the NT, with current Territorians including Peter and Shaun Burgoyne, Xavier and Raphael Clarke, Richard Cole, Joel and Patrick Bowden, Darryl White and Andrew McLeod.

Physically, Tambling has grown from 179cm and 68kg in July to 181cm and 74kg today, something he has done through eating as much as he can get his hands on.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11400426%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: potential draftees thread - Jarryd Roughead article (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2004, 03:19:26 PM »
Jarryd out to fulfil father's dream
15 November 2004   
Herald Sun
Bruce Matthews

Whole new ball game: Jarryd Roughead, once a star junior basketball player, is likely to be a top 10 AFL draft pick next weekend.
Picture George Salpigtidis

TO LIVE out a football career so agonisingly close for his Dad has become a powerful motivation for Gippsland teenager Jarryd Roughead.

No one will be more proud than father Michael when Jarryd is selected -- almost certainly in the top 10 -- in the AFL national draft on Saturday.

Roughead Sr played one game with the Bulldogs' reserves on a permit in the 1980s before a restructure of the old VFL zoning system sent him home to Leongatha, where he eventually played 211 games.

Now fighting multiple sclerosis, he has adopted a "go for it, son" attitude to his eldest son, who's only days away from living every young footballer's dream.

"When I do well it makes him happy, which makes the whole family feel good as well," was Jarryd's succinct explanation of the daily battle.

MS, the autoimmune disease which causes nerve damage, is no big deal in the Roughead household in Leongatha in south Gippsland, with the symptoms contained by alternate-day injections.

Michael insists he didn't make it to the big time because he wasn't good enough and that Jarryd has inherited his sporting abilities from mother Cheryl, a former athlete and netballer who still hits the tennis court.

It owed much to those genes from both parents that Jarryd was able to make the staggering transition from promising state junior basketballer to top-10 AFL draft prospect in less than two years.

Roughead, 17, only started concentrating on football last season after ditching the hoops, and former Sydney full-back Andrew Dunkley, then Leongatha's coach, quickly promoted him to the senior team as a wingman and half-forward.

"I played for Vic Country (basketball) four or five times and played the nationals in 2002 in Adelaide, where we won the bronze medal.

"I really didn't shoot up height-wise until last year," the 193cm left-footer said.

"I lost interest in basketball and it wasn't a big deal to change because I was enjoying the footy back here with my mates and I never expected to go this far.

"At the start of last year Dad said he would coach me at under-16s (football) if I quit basketball. So I did that and ended up playing seniors after four games."

And, at a time when aspiring Victorian draftees are busting to showcase their skills at the MCG or Telstra Dome, this key-position kid wants to fly the coop over the border.

"If I had a choice I would go to Perth, but I don't think it's going to happen," he declared, aware West Coast's first pick is No. 29 and Fremantle's is No. 59.

Perth became an instant attraction when Roughead played for an AIS team against Ireland in a modified rules game there in April.

"When we were over there for the Australian tour, I liked it because it was like a big country town. Good weather, good people. Mitch Morton (West Coast father-son selection) is one of my best mates. I don't think Mum's real happy about that idea. I think she'd be happier if I was in Melbourne," he said.

West Coast, Essendon, St Kilda and Sydney were the only clubs not to seek an interview during last month's draft camp in Canberra.

The Gippsland Power centre half-forward has formed a close friendship with Murray Bushranger Brett Deledio, expected to be the No. 1 pick, and the Vic Country teammates could end up together at Punt Rd after Richmond recruiting officer Greg Beck recently drove to Leongatha.

"I had 12 interviews at the draft camp and then Richmond has come down home in the past couple of weeks to explain what would happen if I was drafted by them," Roughead said.

At that draft camp the talented teenager and a group of fellow draft candidates faced a threat far more terrifying than sitting under a high ball in the face of a converging pack.

The group were celebrating their last night together with an orderly, but noisy, gathering at the Australian Institute of Sport's quarters when they answered a knock on the door about midnight.

"You have two minutes to go to bed," ordered world boxing champ Kostya Tszyu, in camp preparing for his junior welterweight title defence. The party quickly disbanded.

ROUGHEAD is a Scottish surname and his great grandparents were among the first European settlers around Leongatha. Even the street running past the local football ground bears the family name.

"I copped heaps, but it died down in Grade 1 or 2," Jarryd said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11385283%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: potential draftees thread - Jarryd Roughead article (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2004, 03:24:12 PM »

The Gippsland Power centre half-forward has formed a close friendship with Murray Bushranger Brett Deledio, expected to be the No. 1 pick, and the Vic Country teammates could end up together at Punt Rd after Richmond recruiting officer Greg Beck recently drove to Leongatha.

"I had 12 interviews at the draft camp and then Richmond has come down home in the past couple of weeks to explain what would happen if I was drafted by them," Roughead said.

I missed this yesterday. I think it's safe to say we're very interested in him if we are the only ones to drive down there.

I would've preferred Miller had gone there rather than Beck!