Author Topic: Tigers vs Bombers - Hot August Nights / Let there be rock  (Read 3146 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers vs Bombers - Hot August Nights / Let there be rock
« on: August 13, 2006, 01:58:33 AM »
Sheedy: Let there be rock
13 August 2006   
Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

ESSENDON coach Kevin Sheedy has proposed a radical, rock 'n' rock-style clash with Richmond in Round 21 dubbed "Hot August Nights".

Under a concept aimed at enlivening what promises to be a dead rubber, music would be played after each goal Twenty20 cricket-style and Sheedy would promise to play an exciting brand of attacking football.

Sheedy said this week clubs must do more to attract fans, and with his side hosting this year's Dreamtime at the 'G in Round 6, wanted to pump up Richmond's return home game.

The proposal has drawn the support of Richmond and the MCG, which said it had the capacity to play music clips on its scoreboard should it be given AFL approval.

The master of promotion said he would continue to drum up themed games to find ways to boost attendances.

"Essendon and Richmond on a hot August night is a great idea," he said.

"I think most Richmond and Essendon fans of the '60s and '70s loved the time they grew up in -- they loved rock 'n' roll. I did when I played and I know the players love hot music."

Sheedy said if the concept got off the ground he would promise fans they would be in for a spectacle.

"I am big on themed rounds," he said. "If you want to go to watch a Round 21 full of nothing, there are always four points, but excitment is a bonus, particularly as every team is flooding.

"Why would you want to flood when you are in not in the finals? The only reason you would flood is if you are trying to keep your percentage up. Any team in the bottom eight should be shot for flooding."

Richmond yesterday backed the idea, saying it would support endeavors that would boost interest and attendances.

"I don't know that we could agree on a style of football, but in terms of music and promotion and those sort of things, they are all a chance," Tiger football director Greg Miller said. "My immediate reaction is that it could work. My second reaction is that being Round 21, could he please announce it's James Hird's last game?"

MCC chief executive Stephen Gough said there were several options for clubs to pursue promotional avenues on game day.

"Most of the time, the clubs know they have certain spots they can use on the vision board (scoreboard), and certain elements they can put into pre-game promotions and during the games," Gough said.

"They have to run it past the AFL first, but we don't have any great problem (with it)."

AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson said the league was always open to marketing suggestions.

"It would need a lot of work and effort, but he's had some great ideas in the past and we would certainly be happy to talk to him about his ideas," Anderson said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20103407%255E19742,00.html

Moi

Re: Tigers vs Bombers - Hot August Nights / Let there be rock
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:44:08 AM »
As Neil Diamond said, "Are you listening tree people"  :rollin

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:02:03 AM »
Yeah they can give us all a pack of crackerjacks on the way in and we can sit there stuffing our faces yelling out woo hoo right on yeah.

Sorry for that - a bit of a pure footy fan speaking - spose it may be an ok idea  :whistle

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:27:32 PM »
If the GFs are anything to go by then we'll end up with Billy Thorpe or John Farnham, an Aussie boy band no one has ever heard of and someone from Australian Idol  :P.

In twenty-20 cricket they normally play a song about the player.

Lids, Blingers, Meyer, Patto, Polo, Foley and White - Department of Youth (Alice Cooper)
Rainsey - House of the Rising Sun (son)  :thumbsup
Staff - Dirty deeds done dirt cheap  ;)
Bowdens - Brothers in Arms
Richo - anything by Enigma
Chubba - Surfin' USA
Scott Camporeale - Money for Nothing
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:08:25 PM »
This sounds like Disco Bowling which was a hot trend 20 years ago lol. Does anyone still bowl and do they still do DiscoBowl lol?

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 09:32:10 PM »
Scott Camporeale - Money for Nothing

:ROTFL
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Bulluss

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:33:10 PM »
This sounds like Disco Bowling which was a hot trend 20 years ago lol. Does anyone still bowl and do they still do DiscoBowl lol?

Up and to a few years ago my wife and i used to go bowling with friends on a saturday night. Most alleys have some sort of a disco theme with stobe lights and music etc. It is a great atmosphere, especially seeing most of them have bars these days  :thumbsup :cheers.

Some weisdarse bwoling styles after a few drinks  ;) :shh

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 12:26:59 PM »
Maybe the club could put on a strip bowl night, were the lads can rock up and get peeed and every 20 minutes 2 or 3 strippers go up towards the end of the lanes and dance for the boyz lol...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »
Fletcher has done a hammy tonight so it looks like Richo might have a night out next week.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 05:58:55 PM »
Jason Johnson has copped a week from the match review panel for his low blow on Sam Mitchell. One less Bomber to worry about.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Poor old bombers can't win this week
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 12:07:23 PM »
Bombers can't win this week. If they win they will lose their priority pick and get stuff all reward for a shocker of a year; if they lose then that means we've won. Up yours Sheeds  :rollin

PuntRdRoar

Re: Poor old bombers can't win this week
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 01:24:26 PM »
Bombers can't win this week. If they win they will lose their priority pick and get stuff all reward for a shocker of a year; if they lose then that means we've won. Up yours Sheeds  :rollin

more champagne comedy ... but your not being very nice to Mr Sheedy ;D

Offline Cain

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 01:25:38 PM »
I've said it b4 and i'll say it again.
Sheedy's time is over. He aint waving, he's drowning.
He really is losing it.
The nes breed of coaches talk about strategies, development and provide incisive comment on the game. Roos, Plough, Eade. I enjoy hearing them speak.

Sheedy "lets play music" - give me a break.
Malthouse "i'm sick, - wait no, I'm not.." just f.uc,k right off mick.

i'd love to pump the dons this week.
If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »
Sheeds today:

"To me I think that we've got to do it properly. I think in the end music should come into football and meet with football fans, I think on the flipside of the Richmond game with 'Dreamtime at the 'G' where we got just on 60,000 … you would love to think next year Essendon versus Richmond, we could get two 70,000 crowds," he said.

"We haven't played Richmond twice in one year for a while so I would like to see both of those clubs really put their hand up and get into that rock'n'roll fever. 'Hot August Night' is one concept, but to me, the AFL are looking at rounds.

"Essendon and Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood, they're looking at the game itself, and I would like to see every Richmond player, coach, Essendon the same, pick out their best music over the last 30 years and let's get into it and have a bit of fun every time they kick a goal.

"It's just a bit of fun. Don't take the fun out of footy when you're in the bottom eight. We're in the eight, but we're in the wrong eight at the moment."

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=291428

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2006, 03:40:19 PM »
Sheeds today:

We're in the eight, but we're in the wrong eight at the moment."

Having Spud as assistant coach in the IR games has rubbed off on Sheeds  ;D.