Author Topic: Tigers: We've earned stripes  (Read 570 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers: We've earned stripes
« on: August 14, 2006, 03:20:06 AM »
Tigers: We've earned stripes
14 August 2006   
Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

RICHMOND may have left itself a slim chance of playing finals, but in-form ruckman Troy Simmonds says the season has been fruitful, regardless of September action.

Simmonds, who has been one of the Tigers' best this season and a strong candidate for All-Australian selection, would not speculate on the team's chances of stealing a finals berth.

The Tigers kept their slight finals hopes alive with an 82-point demolition of the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome on Saturday night.

While the Tigers, who sit two games outside the eight, need other results to fall their way, they remain in the finals equation if they can win their last three games against Carlton, Essendon and West Coast at the MCG.

Simmonds said the Tigers had already made major gains even if their season progressed no further than Round 22.

"We've got a decent run home, but we'd have to win the next three," Simmonds said.

"If we can beat Carlton, that puts us on 10 wins, which is what we had last year.

"With all the injuries that we've had, I think that makes it a pretty positive year.

"We've had some games that got away . . . but I think we have improved this year with all the young kids that have come through."

Simmonds continued his brilliant form against the Lions, dominating in the ruck and chipping in with two goals.

"I was feeling terrific," Simmonds said of his best-on-ground effort.

"I had that week off through suspension and that wasn't great, but the positive thing out of it was that I was able to freshen up and really finish off the season well."

The big man's work, combined with a starring six-goal haul from Matthew Richardson and a rebounding backline led by Patrick Bowden, helped the Tigers snap a four-game losing streak.

Richardson was at his athletic and imposing best, leading like a man possessed and finishing with 11 marks.

But even that was not enough to top the younger Bowden's marking efforts, with the former Bulldog swallowing almost everything that came his way to finish with 28 touches and 13 grabs.

He had an amazing 17 disposals and nine marks in the opening term.

But it is the development of Rising Star candidate Andrew Raines, Brett Deledio, Dean Polo and Richard Tambling that has the Tigers' old heads excited about the future.

"We've got a lot of good young players coming through," Richardson said.

"Young Matty White played well, Rainsy continues to improve, Dean Polo, Richard Tambling and Deledio, I think the future is bright."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20113623%255E19771,00.html