Author Topic: Richmond to begin interviewing coaching applicants in a fortnight  (Read 4064 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers consider options
By Karen Lyon
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 30, 2004

The Richmond subcommittee formed to find Danny Frawley's replacement is expected to meet at the end of the week, with prospective candidates for the coaching position to be interviewed in a fortnight.

The committee has focused on candidates with recent coaching experience such as Rodney Eade, Terry Wallace, Gary Ayres, Robert Shaw and Tony Shaw.

But it also has broadened its search to include former Melbourne captain Garry Lyon and Essendon assistant coach Mark Harvey.

It is believed Lyon was approached by committee member David Parkin on Monday afternoon and sounded out about the position but he told Parkin he would prefer to concentrate on his media career in the short term.

Of the left-field possibilities, former Adelaide premiership ruckman Shaun Rehn, who now coaches in the SANFL, is thought to be held in high regard by Parkin.

But Richmond's director of football Greg Miller - one of the three members of the subcommittee along with Parkin and Tigers president Clinton Casey - said yesterday the club would try to hold off any announcement on a new coach until the end of the season out of respect for Frawley.

"You wouldn't like to announce that coach while Danny is coaching in the last nine weeks. I don't think that would be a good position to be in (but) you might be forced into that situation, given the scenarios," he said.

The complication for the Tigers is a possible extraordinary meeting in which the current board could be challenged and what role an interim board would have in appointing a new coach.

Yesterday, Miller moved to clarify the club's position on seeking an experienced coach.

Eade, the former Sydney coach, appears to be the frontrunner, ahead of Wallace and Ayres.

"We know who is in the marketplace out there and we will address each one that we think is suitable," Miller said.

Former Tigers captain Matthew Knights said yesterday that the best two candidates for the Tigers' coaching job were Eade and Wallace.

He said the former coaches had been out of coaching for a while and were now "hungry for success".

Knights, who now coaches the Port Adelaide Magpies, also told SEN radio that he believed Casey should resign from his position as president of Richmond, saying if he was "a loyal Tiger, he must move on".

Despite a desire for an experienced coach, Miller did not rule out Kevin Sheedy's assistant at Essendon, Harvey.

"I think a guy like Mark Harvey does fit into the mould," Miller said.

"I am not sure how long he has been in the system at the Bombers for, but it has been quite a while. He has been at the coalface, not totally in charge but he certainly has had a great deal of experience and I would not necessarily rule him out."

Miller also rejected any suggestion the club would completely overhaul its coaching staff, including all assistants next year.

"The suggestion that there is going to be a total clean-out in not correct. What we need to do is wait for the coach's appointment. He will assess each of the staff members, obviously with some of the knowledge that I have, and will make decisions on who is going to be part of his team.

"I am very keen to push for stability at Richmond and try and (get) everyone to appreciate what it takes to be successful. You need a group of people, and I am unashamedly following the Collingwood model.

"You have got a president and the CEO and even a welfare officer and the football manager, a group of people who have committed to each other and are in for the long haul and I think it needs that and that is one of the key ingredients for getting success on the field," Miller said.

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/29/1088487967371.html?oneclick=true
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richmond to begin interviewing coaching applicants in a fortnight
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 01:04:08 AM »
God knows why Tony Shaw's name is mentioned  :o. Gary Lyon said he's staying in the media thankfully.

But Richmond's director of football Greg Miller - one of the three members of the subcommittee along with Parkin and Tigers president Clinton Casey - said yesterday the club would try to hold off any announcement on a new coach until the end of the season out of respect for Frawley.

"You wouldn't like to announce that coach while Danny is coaching in the last nine weeks. I don't think that would be a good position to be in (but) you might be forced into that situation, given the scenarios," he said.

The complication for the Tigers is a possible extraordinary meeting in which the current board could be challenged and what role an interim board would have in appointing a new coach.

If the decision is made before the end of the season then it's bound to be the worst kept secret in history.

It's worrying what any off-field turmoil may do now that the cogs of change are in motion. Still no alternative ticket has come forward and Michael Pahoff is O.S.  ::)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 01:16:53 AM by mightytiges »

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 01:49:52 AM »
FMD!

Tony Shaw - LMAO.

Obviously Miller wants it to be public knowledge that the club is examining all possible avenues - why else would TS get a mention.

Knighters comment was interesting.

Gary Lyon - LMAO.

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 05:44:23 AM »
You will find that all the assistants contracts end at the end of the year. What new coach would take these blokes on  ::)

froars

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 06:07:52 AM »
How come after 5 years down the track the same usual suspects come up for the coaching position?
These blokes' names were put up the last time we were looking for a coach  :(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 12:53:23 PM »
David Parkin on Talking Footy last night made an interesting point regarding the hunt for a new coach.

He said that the RFC didn't need to advertise for a coach. The know who is available and their credentials and should list the candiates in the Clubs preferred order and approach it that. He also said that both Wallace and Eade are excellent candidates but did not discount a rookie or someone out od "left field"

Sheeds was also a guest last night and when he was asked who they should get to coach the Tigers Sheeds said the person who is most "exciting" :o
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 01:00:21 PM »
The most exciting would be Wallace by a mile.
Sheeds basicallysaid we should get Wallace.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 01:02:37 PM »
The most exciting would be Wallace by a mile.
Sheeds basicallysaid we should get Wallace.

I thought exactly the same thing at the time Ox.

We not need a coach but someone who can sell the Club to everyone (members, sponsors the works).

Of the group that is out there Wallace stands out in a marketing sense IMO

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 01:20:58 PM »
It's worrying what any off-field turmoil may do now that the cogs of change are in motion. Still no alternative ticket has come forward and Michael Pahoff is O.S.  ::)

Patrick Smith said on SEN this morning that we could expect the new ticket to surface in a couple of weeks.

I’m not sure how this all works, so pardon the ignorance  :P, but if Pahoff exercises his right to call for an EGM and there’s a spill of the Board, does that mean that members of any new ticket would have to nominate themselves to be elected to the Board?

And if so, if Pahoff has aligned himself with any ticket, would it be in his interests to leave things as they are and allow a take over of the Board instead?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 04:07:03 PM »
I think the EGM works this way. Once the petition is submitted to the secretary of the Club, the Club has 21 days to annouce to all members that there will be an EGM. The EGM must be held within 21 days of this announcement. At the EGM we vote to support or dismiss the terms in the petition. I don't believe any alternative group has to nominate then and then as the petition wants to install an interim board (whoever they will be ???). This interim board is then meant to call for nominations. I'd guess those who support this petition are hoping/believing that the alternative group will come forward between the submission date and EGM to give weight to throwing Casey out. If the EGM votes to dismiss the petition then the status quo remains. That's my reading of all this  :-\.

I listened to Smith and KB as well this morning. Seems Schwab has said he would like another crack. From memory Smith said Welsh and TJ would be supporting the alternative ticket but not necessarily be a part of it. One Tiger caller made the point strongly like alot of us have on OER that these guys have had their moment in the sun and are as much to blame for the current mess as anyone else. This guy actually supported Casey  :o cause he saw Schwab and Welsh as having cut and run away from our problems to save their own necks instead of face the music. Smith agreed they have dirty hands but said that it was for the Richmond members to decide between Casey and Schwab. Not much of a choice IMHO :P
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 04:10:35 PM by mightytiges »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 01:34:48 PM »
At the EGM we vote to support or dismiss the terms in the petition. I don't believe any alternative group has to nominate then and then as the petition wants to install an interim board (whoever they will be ???). This interim board is then meant to call for nominations. I'd guess those who support this petition are hoping/believing that the alternative group will come forward between the submission date and EGM to give weight to throwing Casey out. If the EGM votes to dismiss the petition then the status quo remains.

That makes things a lot clearer thanks MT.

If the petition is voted against, does that mean any potential challenge to the current Board would be snuffed out in the short-term at least, or is that still a possibility?

What if the alternative group is thwarted by independents nominating and possibly being elected to the Board?  That stuffs them.  I assume that possibility exists and that’s why this approach is the democratic way to go, because members get a say in who goes on the Board.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 02:09:39 PM »
If the petition is voted against, does that mean any potential challenge to the current Board would be snuffed out in the short-term at least, or is that still a possibility?

Yes it does in the short term.

If the motion is defeated then the current board continue.

Remember 3 board positions will become available under the yearly rotation at the end of the season.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 06:01:01 PM »

Yes it does in the short term.

If the motion is defeated then the current board continue.

Could potentially turn out to be a very expensive “No”.  There has to be a better way.