Author Topic: This kid, Brent Hartigan, is all Hart  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
This kid, Brent Hartigan, is all Hart
« on: May 10, 2004, 12:07:56 PM »
This kid, Brent Hartigan, is all Hart
9 May 2004   Sunday Herald Sun
Jackie Epstein

THE one ray of hope for Richmond in its lean start to the season has been the injection of youth into the line-up.

The performances of Brent Hartigan and Thomas Roach have brought a smile to many forlorn faces.
Hartigan said he believed it was a sign of things to come.

"It's a positive for the club that they've introduced one or two kids," he said.

"It just goes to show the future of the club can be strong, and there's probably another five or six blokes you can look at that if they got in the side they'd be the shining lights as well.

"Hopefully, in three or four years' time, the club can build and be really successful."
Hartigan, 19, was a surprise selection for Round 1 against Collingwood, and he has maintained his position in defence since.

Last year, he won the TAC Cup premiership with Calder Cannons and the club best and fairest.
But at 179cm and missing under-18 state representation, he was overlooked. So, for a No. 70 draft pick, he has performed well above expectations.

"There were only eight picks after me, so I got a little bit worried," Hartigan said.
"I'd spoken to about five or six clubs, and Richmond said all along they were going to, hopefully, put me on their list.

"Leading up to that week (of Round 1) the coach took a bit more interest in my body and I played on Damian Cupido the week before, and I thought with (Mark) Chaffey out they could use me as another option.

"Spud (Danny Frawley) told me on the Wednesday, and it was a real buzz. I suppose getting picked up at No. 70 I didn't really have expectations to play a game, let alone the first game, so, it was really exciting."

Hartigan grew up a Bombers supporter, and tries to model himself on James Hird.

He has been well nurtured by his father, Dean, who played 36 games for Essendon in 1974-77.

"He coached me all through juniors, and he tells me where I go wrong," Hartigan said.

"Every week we sit down with the video and go through where I can improve. He doesn't like to tell me what to do, but just advises me when he can.

"He's pretty smart. Sometimes it's a bit hard when you've had a bad game and he drills it into you, but when you sit down and think about it, it's wise to take it in."

After being thrown in the deep end so soon, Hartigan is starting to appreciate what it takes to play at the highest level.
"I think six games in you realise how hard it is to come up year after year and week after week like the top players do," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9504046%255E19771,00.html
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 03:43:42 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: This kid, Brent Hartigan, is all Hart
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 04:59:40 PM »
Brent has been really impressive. He appears to have a good skills and footy smarts which is something we badly need in our team. One thing I hope he works on is the length of his kicking. I've noticed a couple of times he's struggled to make the goals from about 45 out.

No wonder he barracked for the bombers considering his Dad played for them. Makes us look like we're collecting Father-sons  :)

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd