Author Topic: Is Melbourne the Sporting Capital of the World  (Read 3916 times)

Moi

Is Melbourne the Sporting Capital of the World
« on: August 24, 2006, 12:45:22 PM »
SEN are having a discussion on this at the moment, and I managed to get my email read out hehehehe, another slack day at the office lol

Your opinions??

My email to SEN:

If we’re not the major sporting city in the world, tell me which city beats us.

Of course we’re the greatest.  We’ve had Olympic and Commonwealth games.  They don’t give them out to a city in the arrrrse-end of the world unless we’re well and capable of putting on such an event.

The same goes for the Australian Motor and Motorcycle grand prixs. 

The Australian Open is part of the big four tennis events in the world.

Our football – even though it’s a national game – puts bums on seats every week for approximately six months.

Cricket in the summer as well – the MCG on Boxing Day, arguably the biggest day in the world of cricket’s calendar.

FINA Swimming World Championships – 2007.

Etc etc etc

We do these events year in and year out, generally, with full capacity crowds.

I rest my case lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Is Melbourne the Sporting Capital of the World
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 04:25:21 PM »
Was that read out Moi? Sounded like it was  :clapping.

It's probably biased to say yes but I can hardly think of another city in the world that has as large a range of major sporting events as Melbourne does. New York would be close - has 2 pro football, baseball, ice hockey and the Knicks. They've had both summer and winter olympics from memory. London has heaps of pro football teams (7? EPL sides at the moment), races at Ascot, cricket at Lords and the Oval, and has hosted the 1948 olympics, 1966 world cup and Euro 2000.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »
I can provide an unbiased reply to this as I have lived in both Melbourne and Sydney. The answer is yes! Melbournians love their sport and will turn up in large numbers for anything. Sydneysiders are a complacent, lethargic lot when it comes to sport. If the temperature is below 18 degrees or above 25 they couldn't be stuffed going to any type of sport. LMAOOOOOOOO@telstra stadium hosting a regular season rugby league game. The joint echoes like a Victoria Park toilet. A stadium that seats 95,000 and only 12,000 usually turn up to most league games. A blockbuster will get 35000 max.

RL supporters generally don't even know their own club songs and only one or two clubs have cheer squads. Their banners are these poxy little plastic things that have an open door in them so they can use them for the whole season. :rollin Lack of commitment, lack of passion and lack of tradition by sydney sports fans is what puts them well below you average Melbourne sports fan.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 08:34:54 PM »
Was that read out Moi? Sounded like it was  :clapping.
Check your email  :shh