Author Topic: Thoughts on coaches  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Thoughts on coaches
« on: July 01, 2004, 12:21:02 AM »
If the upheavel continues at Hawthorn and they don't win another game then schwab may be shown the door and Im predicting that Wallace would walk into this position if it became available.

If Richmond go hard after Wallace and Hawthorn don't implode and honor schwabs contract then I think Wallace may choose Richmond over Adelaide. Wallace will be given a good contract at Richmond with a license to do what ever he sees fit because basically we are desperate. At Adelaide he will have to be measured because there administration is strong and will be comming from a stronger position than what the Richmond admin will be comming from.

Eade may go to the dogs or Richmond. Eade is desperate for a position, he wants it bad and if rhode pulls the pin and wallace takes the richmond job then eade will end up at the dogs and Craig will get the adelaide gig.

If the lions win the flag Odonnel will stay with the lions for a shot at 5 flags in a row under Matthews. If they loose, then he may consider another position elsewhere but I don't think he actually will, I think he will hang around Brisbane and be there next coach when Matthews pulls the pin.

Mark Harvey, this is an interesting one. Harvey is in a similar position to Odonnel in some ways. Id hate to be in Harvey's position actually, do I stay or do I go. He absolutely wants to coach Essendon that's why he has stayed for so long. I'm guessing that the Essendon football club are totally aware of this and are confident that Harvey will not go to another club and will stick around for sheedy to retire which is why they gave sheedy the contract. I feel certain that if they thought they were in danger of loosing Harvey then sheedy's contract would not have been extended, unless they think in the back of there minds that sheedy could go on for another 6 to 10 years which is possible, sheedy has already hinted that this might happen. The Essendon situation is quite remarkable and not short of a little risk. Here's a club with a coach that they have had for over 20 years and supposedly drawing near the end of his career. They have an assistant coach who is supposedly being groomed for the head coach role after sheedy retires and has been at the club for at least 7 years, and what do they do, they re-sign the head coach with the possibility that they may loose the succession plan, now that's risky, Unless they know that Harvey will stay or In the case that Harvey moves on, will be prepared to give sheedy another 3 years after this new contract, in which he may have enough time to groom somebody else. The Essendon scenerio is a strange one, particularly if they do really want Harvey to coach the side after sheedy, maybe they don't, Maybe there's things about Harvey that they know about that we don't, time will tell.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Thoughts on coaches
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 02:12:10 AM »
There sure are a heap of permutations, swings and roundabouts that can happen over the rest of the season as you've pointed out RR. Pagan is also still a roughy if Carlton find they can't afford the $700,000 price tag.

It's interesting that the three former AFL coaches in the running - Wallace, Eade and Ayres - all come from Hawthorn so all three would have some emotional attachment to Glenferrie Oval if Schwab gets his marching orders.

Out of Richmond, Adelaide and Hawthorn, the Crows are the most stable off-field and are always rolling in plenty of dough although they and especially their supporters are quite savage on Vic coaches. Mad parochial lot (anti-Vic) given they are the biggest team in only a two-team town.   

Which to choose? I'm probably sounding biased but if I was picking which team to coach I would seriously choose Richmond from a list development point of view. Reason why is IMHO our younger guys are mostly carrying their weight for what's expected from them. It's mainly our senior blokes who have been around for ages that continually let us down. So it's really an easy decision to give the old blokes their marching orders and refresh and rebuild the list around the likes of Brown, Johnson, Cogs, Newman, Krakouer and Otto. I believe our supporters and now the Club finally realise it's going to take 2-3 years at least to right the Tiger ship on-field so the patience will be there if we go down the youth path. On the other hand Adelaide are still being carried by their good but now ageing premiership players who will be gone in the next say 3 years. Where's the young base to work with. That's why they have fallen in a hole (much like we did in the mid 80s). Hawthorn are a mixture of both - a couple of stars in Crawford and Everitt and a couple of quality youngsters in Hodge and Sam Mitchell. Not much else IMO. Added to this, knowing what Crow fans are like and hearing Don Scott and co at Hawthorn I don't think they are yet facing the reality of rabbleness like finally we are now.

Well that's what I'm hoping the prospective coaches are thinking except Eade or Ayres ;). Wallace and O'Donnell are the ones I'm leaning towards (Pagan would be my number 1 but as we know he's a 1000000/1 shot).

Forgot to add - Wish hard for the hawks to knock off the maggies this week ;D.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 02:22:08 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 03:06:30 AM »
Wallace will coach us.
He will be fantastic in more ways than one.
He'll love being at Punt road.
He'll lov being a Tiger.

were on our way boys and gals. :D

froars

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 10:11:15 PM »
I don't want to be grooming Harvs for him to step in after Sheeds finally retires from the Bombers in 3 years?? - which is what will happen if he is any good.
Wouldn't that give ya the poos if that happened? >:(

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 11:50:41 PM »
I don't want to be grooming Harvs for him to step in after Sheeds finally retires from the Bombers in 3 years?? - which is what will happen if he is any good.
Wouldn't that give ya the poohs if that happened? >:(

I agree froars, Its one of the scenerios I've been considering about Harvey. Essendon maybe prepared to cut Harvey loose for three years so that he can cut his teeth in the big gig as head coach somewhere else. Say he comes to Richmond and gets a three year contract, gets a bit of experience hands on in the top job, pulls the tiges up the ladder somewhat and then after three years sheedy pulls the pin at the dons and Harvey being out of contract as well decides to go back home to Essendon (how sweet, not). I don't know if the dons would be this unscrupulous or not, but youd have to think that they would have to have some sort of coaching plan for there future.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 12:12:57 AM »
I would be wary of Harvey for the reason he's only experienced one club environment at Essendon which has always been near the top since the time he first arrived as a player in 1984 when they became premiers. You would have to question whether he could handle rebuilding a Club like ours basically from scratch when he has never gone through that process before. Too risky IMHO. 

froars

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 12:36:13 AM »
You would have to question whether he could handle rebuilding a Club like ours basically from scratch when he has never gone through that process before.

Good point when all he's experienced is carte blanche with money to get whatever they wanted at Bomberland.  Makes Terry Wallace more appealing seeing with what he dealt with at the Dogs - no money, yet still got them to the finals.

I can't get past Harvey's hairstyles anyway - would not be a good look in Richmond colours lol

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 12:08:28 PM »
I could be wrong, but if you listen to those who work with Wallace in the media, few, if any, think he will take on Richmond.  They must know something for the majority to have the same opinion, or he’s just a very cagey fox.

It looks like RFC will only pay 97% of the salary cap next season and it has been said that there are going to be cost cuttings at the Club.  All reasons why Wallace left the Bulldogs.

Our situation may not be as bad as that at the Doggies and we could get ourselves out of the situation reasonably quickly, but it still might take some fast talking and/or something drastic to happen between now and the time we appoint a new coach for him to take us on, because I doubt he wants to go down that track again.

Even though there’s a persistent suggestion that Wallace is tied in with the recruitment of Nathan Brown, I think Wallace’s ideal scenario would be the Crows.  Because there he would have no money constraints or the turmoil that seems to go with RFC and he could just concentrate on the areas he wants to, rather than has to.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 06:04:15 PM »
It looks like RFC will only pay 97% of the salary cap next season and it has been said that there are going to be cost cuttings at the Club.  All reasons why Wallace left the Bulldogs.

What were/are the dogs paying? It was initial suggested that they would be forced to pay 92.5% as a condition of accepting AFL money but I think that was changed at the last minute to something much higher say 95%(?). Even so if we go down the "youthful" path then paying 97% won't be difficult to maintain in the short term and IMHO really won't hamper a new coach in rebuilding our list while we get back into the black.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 02:24:20 PM »

What were/are the dogs paying? It was initial suggested that they would be forced to pay 92.5% as a condition of accepting AFL money but I think that was changed at the last minute to something much higher say 95%(?). Even so if we go down the "youthful" path then paying 97% won't be difficult to maintain in the short term and IMHO really won't hamper a new coach in rebuilding our list while we get back into the black.

I’m not sure what they are paying MT, but I thought the same as you, that Clubs had to pay the AFL specified amount (whatever it is) if they receive funding from the AFL.

If we have to pay 97% that shouldn’t be a big issue, on its own, and I don’t how we can have been paying 100% anyway, with our lack of success.

But, all our issues, combined, may influence the decision Wallace or any prospective coach makes.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.