Author Topic: Swapping just draft picks now allowed  (Read 1727 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Swapping just draft picks now allowed
« on: August 30, 2006, 02:05:41 AM »
By Stephen Rielly
The Age
August 30, 2006

The AFL yesterday announced that it had agreed to allow the pure trading of draft picks that in the past was possible only when accompanied by players.

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said the change stemmed from a concern about the declining number of trades being realised each year and, by implication, the potential threat posed to the draft system via a restraint of trade claim.

When the 16 clubs meet in Melbourne in six weeks for the trade period, they will be able to trade draft selections for other selections for the first time, which, it is hoped, will be used creatively to enable other player trades.

Only 13 players switched clubs during the trade period last year.

For example, a club might be able to package up three or four mid-range selections for one early first-round pick if they believe the draft to be a particularly deep one, as this year's national draft is considered to be. A club could offer three picks for a player without having to toss in a "set of steak knives" to comply with the previous laws.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/08/29/1156816903682.html

Bulluss

Re: Swapping just draft picks now allowed
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:15:09 PM »
So you still cant trade a player for a player?

That has always been my understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:15:48 AM »
So you still cant trade a player for a player?

That has always been my understanding.

Didn't we trade Naish for Rombotis in a player swap with Port or have the rules changed since then?

-----------------

Speaking of trade week the AFL are also looking at bringing in mediators:

TRADE WEEK - The AFL is likely to employ a mediator to help with negotiations during this year's player trade week after concerns at the falling number of trades in recent years. "We are having a serious look at it for this year," AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson said. The AFL is understood to be inclined towards a professional mediator with a legal background.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/08/30/1156816968264.html

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
Do you reckon theyd let me be the mediator, Ill be fair I promise ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »
They better tell Miller the right room the mediator is in  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd