Author Topic: We need..  (Read 5045 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: We need..
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Understand what your saying TB but we are not in the 80's mate....we have been exposed in the wet twice now and one once. I would just like one to two more talls for depth. The talls for GWS will only get better..we need taller backs.IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
A few centimeters here are there don't as much as the defenders strength and experience. Rance is only going to get stronger and with 'go-go gadget' arms Grimes and Griffiths also increasing is size, I think we are in good shape. We even have depth with Astbury, Post and perhaps Piva going forward.

It was interesting that Griffiths and Rance struggled more with Pattons strength than height. He was just a monster already. This will change in our favour as our defenders bulk up.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »
Ok well we will see....yet again......
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

dwaino

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
A few centimeters here are there don't as much as the defenders strength and experience.

People overlook this sometimes. I stand 196cm and 100kegs, and when I kick around with mates currently playing local footy, 5cm either way often doesn't account for squat. Standing next to 200cm blokes I don't actually look much smaller. This is going way back, but in juniors I got toweled up by Scott Harding one game lol. I had about 8 or 9cm on him in those days (I shot up and his growth stunted lol)... paid the little prick back in a prelim by kicking 3 in a quarter on him though  ;D

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »
Harding is playing as a WR (NFL) at some college now.gee whiz, you're a massive unit, dwayne. Didn't think a celery general would be that big ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
Understand what your saying TB but we are not in the 80's mate....we have been exposed in the wet twice now and one once. I would just like one to two more talls for depth. The talls for GWS will only get better..we need taller backs.IMO.

No we have won twice and lost once. Saturday was not a loss guys. It was a win. Let's stop the Kitty Cariole and pretending we got done.

Understand extra talls yes and I agree, the ones we have though now are developing nicely as well.

The point I am trying to make with the 80's is this is as Moorabbin was turned into a quagmire to bring opposition down to ST Kilda's lamentable level so does rain and slop in today's era for the lesser sides.

If Black Caviar ran a place in the slop because she is no mud lark do we retire her and say she's crap. I should think not. Lets not panic unnecessarily.

dwaino

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
lol great timing, On the Couch just talking about Saints' defenders getting monstered and mentioned Jack kicking 8 against them ;D

Harding is playing as a WR (NFL) at some college now.gee whiz, you're a massive unit, dwayne. Didn't think a celery general would be that big ;D

He's playing college level at the moment isn't he? Not many Brissy boys make it to AFL so we tried keeping tabs on each other. I'm spewing I stopped playing. Used to play heaps of rep and trained with Brisbane rookies and training listed blokes over the summer. Voss used to say I had an awesome kick ;D. And dad was mates with Mark Browning (AFL talent scout in QLD). Blew my chances, turns out I was an earmark forecast for trying out for the '04 draft lol. Might try and get into an EDFL team next year but.

And you'd be surprised how much bulk you can put on from soy and vegetable proteins  :P Needs to lose a few kegs but. Too much drinking and 'playing in a heavy metal band' habits from the past few years. 4 years ago I was 95kegs for the RAAF, so trying to get back to that.

edit: NM, you said 'some college' already lol

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »
Have a kick at Zantuck's club and tell me how my old mate is getting on these days :cheers

the claw

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »
We have tall backs.

Rance. Griffiths. Grimes. Astbury.

I feel Post should be given another season. Ditto Moore.
do we are griffiths  and astbury really backs. both are tall forwards if you ask me.
we are after, not necesarily these players but their exact type in  lake, merret.  players around about 195cm/100kg.

we definately need 4 things  asap.
given that ive written off   graham, derickx,  as  keepers and vickery as a ruckman maybe even as a keeper, and have doubts over browne we need a quality young ruckman in our system like yesterday.  ffs maric is 26yo. we could also do with a mature one as well to actually cover in case of injury..  jon griffen would be my target not likely but would have a crack he may want out.. do this and cut the garbage straight out of the system.

we need at least 5 genuine  mids.  may not be able to get em all in one go but we had better make a hole in the number. pick 10ish, and two picks arouind 30 35 means we can get two straight of the bat.

we need a genuine big bodied fb yes freakin fb.  about  195cm/ 100kg will be fine. do it thru free agency even as a short term solution. but ffs draft with a reasonable pick a big bodied fb in the nd.this allows us to move rance to chb where if anyone cares to look hes most suited.

last we need a tall forward not neccesarily kp.if o' hanlon works out we may have one but would still go out and draft another.

finally its not height but size that is the problem. nearly all of our talls outside of ivan seem undersized. though we could do with a defender whos both big and over 195cm.

for me if possibel and it did not cost the earth
b/ morris - merret - grimes.
hb/ dea - rance - batchelor/moore/helbig depending on what the match ups are.
that would leave a forward structure of
hf/ quick skillful  player - astbury -  o'hanlon.
f/  griffiths -  riewoldt -  quick skillful player

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

B: Morris. Grimes. Astbury.
Hb. Dea. Rance. Batchelor.

Hf. OHanlon. Griffiths. X
F  Vickery. Reiwoldt. X.

Nice bump  :lol

Mate honestly, just watching tat AFL 360 and I kid you not......gee our backs are short, really showed against the Bombers too.

I think it's a real concern and will either haunt us later this year or over next few years. Deledio had to go back against GWS.....that's a concern.

Griff did not play vs essendon

tony_montana

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »
Claw, ffs mate, stop with the patronizing BS in ur posts, "if anyone cares to notice, Rance is more suited to CHB"  ::) why the constant need to pump up your tyres and belittle everyone as nuffers who can't see what the great claw can? geez man it ruins what is sometimes an interesting read...

FYI if you were half as smart as you constantly tell us, you'd realize that Rance is not a CHB's a hole! He is fantastic when running in one direction and has great closing speed, which is why he is suited to FB! his biggest problem is he gets lost very very easily further up the ground, a smart fwd takes rance up the ground and loses him doubling back. Rance doesn't have very good spacial awareness and doesn't read the ball in flight that well, timing is improving but still needs work! once he loses body contact he forgets the ball as he desperately tries to find his opponent. He's no CHB!

Dimma initially wanted him as CHB and grimes at FB but they are both better suited to the opposite role. Grimes doesn't get lost in traffic and can handle fwds running patterns, Rance needs a target from the last line.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
So as i see it..  our worst loss this year has been to collingwood by 21.  poo we're struggling!!! Its our best year for quite a while

our backs are the youngest in the league and yet were still able to keep the hawks forward line quiet..   Saying we should get a Merrett (27) or Lake (30) is not going to happen.. they dont have much football left in them anyway..  Our boys will bulk up as they mature, except Grimes, he'll never be a fat bastard who ate all the pies..  We have a great midfield that only needs a bit of depth added.

Have a bit of faith the boys are going ok..  Backing up in the wet isnt the best and GWS are giving teams a good nudge.  i agree we were a bit tall for the conditions but i think they're sticking to the structures and thats ok with me..  Its generally dry in September.

Geez Craw that team lacks some depth..  By your trading strategy we would be giving up way to much to get the best defenders in the comp.. We'd have to pay them bucket loads and maybe even give up our high draft pics to get someone that will only be around for a short period..  Thats crazy talk..  If you want to do that at least go after someone that will be around for more than 2-3 years.  Like a Hurley.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
Claw, ffs mate, stop with the patronizing BS in ur posts, "if anyone cares to notice, Rance is more suited to CHB"  ::) why the constant need to pump up your tyres and belittle everyone as nuffers who can't see what the great claw can? geez man it ruins what is sometimes an interesting read...

Are you talking about Claw or yourself boofhead

Ox

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
we need a root.
All players report to the Daily Planet for scheduled bye.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
We need a goal kicking machine , mid size forward that can make something of nothing in an instant, kick 3g fr,om as many kicks, theyre out there and it wouldnt suprise me to see us snaffle one in the off season :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled