Author Topic: My review of tonights players  (Read 3052 times)

Bulluss

My review of tonights players
« on: July 03, 2004, 10:54:03 PM »
1- Hilton: Played a fairly solid game and gave us pretty good service across half forward. Still got caught behind too many times, allowing his opponent to easily rebound the ball. Even if he maintains this for the next 8 games he should still be given the boot. Might allow him to be traded instead of being delisted.

2 Gaspar: As per my post towards him alone, his performance or lack of it was a joke. He should be at Coburg next week and not return. For $500k he is pathetic, he cant play anywhere but fullback and cant even do that currently. Must be traded at season end, even if we have to pay half his wage.

5 Ottens: Started the game well up forward and really provided a good target. Still really needs to impose himself on the game better than he does. Still one of our better players and obviously has skill and talent. If we can get the right trade then consider, otherwise sign him up as he has already said himself that he hasnt been playing that well so he shouldnt cost us much.

6 Chaffey: He is second only to Gaspar as our worst player, his constant turnovers really hurt us. He also is really struggling to read the ball and constantly gets caught out of position allowing his opponent an easy mark. Decision making is terrible.

7 Brown: Another solid game getting plenty of the ball, but probably can do more with the ball when he gets it although his team mates have a lot to do with that. Still one of our best.

8 Pettifer: Continues to take great leaps forward across half back. Another fantastic performance where is was good in all aspects of the game. He defended well, read the play, passed well and attacked where possible. Great work Kayne, i was one of your biggest critics but you have won me over at the moment.

10 Stafford: Was a little quiet at the start but really worked well into the game especially in the last qtr where he really stood tall and took some great marks. Hopefully he is available next week to take on the scum.

11 Bowden: Fantastic job on Brown, really hurt him on the rebound although Brown was still a good player for the Lions. For his size Bowden really contested well and went with him all the way. You can really hold your head up higher after that Joel.

13 Blumfield: Despite what others have already said about Blumfield, i thought he actually showed a bit tonight. He has missed a lot of footy in the last 2 years and he marking and presentation to the ball was a lot better than the previous two games. Really worth persisting with for the rest of the season. Out of contract so he knows what is required.

17 Campbell: His lack of pace is once again hurting him, gets caught too easy and seems to panic a lot more that he used to. Also seems to be taking the second option rather than the first which normally results in a turnoever. His time is up unfortunately.

18 Rodan: On and off the ground and did a few things here and there, but not really enough to suggest that he is up to AFL standard. For someone who is fast and close to the ground he should do better in tackling his opponent but he seems to get turned inside out too easy and doesnt win enough of the ball.

19 Fleming: Great first qtr and was also good in the last, i think he deserves another contract. He runs the lines and also straight down the ground which is what we need. Disposal seems to be improving and i really like him coz he always gives 110%. Great story for him really, he is no superstar but he is far from our worst.

20 Hall: Did a fairly good job on Lynch, was prepared to back himself and run off also. Hall is really developing into a good solid backman and has a good future ahead of him.

21 Tuck: Not a bad debut, as Frawley told us he isnt afraid to get his hands dirty and likes to go in and get the ball. Did some good things and seem to deliver the ball fairly well. Could develop into a handy player, needs to get more game time over the next 8 weeks.

25 Shultz: Great performance tonight with his marking a real key. The thing i like about him compared to Richo is that he is a real ONE grab player. This is a good asset to have and his kicking for goal as also good. Shultz has already shown us that he is pretty good tackling and also at providing a bump. Big things ahead for him.

27 Krak: Still playing very patchy although he still does a lot of good work and does most of it with class. Still young and raw and still has a lot of development in him. Needs more time on the ball.

28 Johnson: What more can you ask for, always puts his body on the line to win the hard ball and makes up for his team mates mistakes. Must be Captain next season. Great work rate and leads by example, doesnt try to do too much.

31 Hyde: Good early until he got injured, has been probably our most improved and also is prepared to work hard and run the lines to recieve and also win the footy. Great effort for a player who i thought was no chance to make it at AFL.

32 Tivendale: Done some nice things, but is too much of a front runner. Doesnt do enough when the team needs something. If we are winning he normally does well, could still be a handy player for us but may also provide good trade bait.

35 Newman: Great work rate also on Aker, not an easy job and Newmo was fantastic. Probably needs to work on hurting his opponent offensively but all in all he is really becoming a fantastic player for us. He is also a great leader and possibly a future Captain.

36 Zantuck: Wasnt in it much at all tonight, did a few small things here and there. Hasnt had the greatest of years and is certainly an option for trade at the right price. I dont think playing him up forward is the answer.

40 Moore: This kid looks good, still very young but reads the play well and he too has a great pair of hands. Kicking for goal was a little off, but he has time to work on it and will be much better for his experience next year.

thats my opinion anyway

Bull

Ox

Re: My review of tonights players
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 11:35:22 PM »
Great assessment Bullus.
I agree with every point you make.
You even sold me on Blumfield but come  2morrow morning I'll have changed my mind back ;)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 01:08:16 AM »
Excellent work Bulluss. Also very fair.
With Cambell's lack of pace, I actually think he can't run properly any more since his snapped achilles. Every week I see him have to give up chases once his opponent gets a couple of metres in front and his gait has changed noticeably. Quite honestly I admire that he is good enough to be even playing again because it's a terribly debilitating injury.
I would like him to play on next year minus the captaincy. I think he'll retire at season's end because he will never fully recover from the injury. My dad snapped his achilles over 30 years ago and still suffers some symptoms from it.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 01:25:03 AM »
I thought we looked a lot like the Bulldogs of old when we went forward tonite especially when Brown or Bowden ran down to the Forward line.

The inclusion of Tuck complemented the likes of Schulz and Moore.
Youth needs youth to work its magic !

I was really impressed with Bowden on Brown.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 01:42:40 AM »
Top review Bulluss!  8). Agree with most of sentiments.

Agree with about Hilton. Problem with rory is he will produce a fairly good game like tonight then go missing for the next 4 weeks until he's dropped. One good game every blue moon doesn't cut it at this level.

Hyde and Pettifer I am happy to say have made me eat humble pie this year. Thought they would be certainities for delisting but they have really improved. So much so that I vastly prefer Pettifer across half-back and would offload/trade Chaffey at year's end who continually turns over the ball through poor decision making.

Still not convinced about Blumfield. I agree his footy career with us has been savagely interrupted with injuries but he still looks like he is just going through the motions.

I think Otto showed tonight why he should stay. I'm not surprised he stood up tonight when we as a team came out to play with some purpose and system. Of course Sarge was the main beneficiary of our open and direct style of footy.

Tivas an interesting one. His left foot passing is excellent and penetrating plus he has pace but he has no right side and often gets into trouble having to backtrack to get onto his left. You see this especially at centre bouncedowns where if he runs behind the ruckman to his right and then does the big arc. Stuffs us up as a good right-footed kick instead would get the ball inside 50 to one-on-one forwards. I'd reckon he'll stay but I wouldn't be surprised also if he was put up for trade if the deal was too good to pass up.

Tuck had a fairly good debut. Did some nice things. Still have no idea why he was taken off in the last quarter. Surely we could have plonked him at CHF instead of Gas  ???. The other strange move was swapping Hall and Bowden in the last ???.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 03:11:05 AM »
Agree with a lot of what has been said.

Tuck was impressive and the mind boggles why the likes of Fletcher have been given a go before him this year. The mind also boggles why the likes of Fletcher were even drafted, but anyway....

Unless Blumfield commits to having a really good pre-season he should be given the ass. Although people use the excuse that he has had injuries that have halted his progress, there is no excuse for having the body of a district footballer. Has he ever stepped foot inside a gym? I doubt it. Probably spends the gym sessions on the treadmill and the stepper.

Krakouer done ok but he is also being held back through lack of fitness.

Zantuck might as well write this year off. Needs to be given the ultimatum at the end of the year.

Rodan will go extremely close to being delisted. Should play for the rest of the year and then the decision should be made.

Ottens was listed as our second best player on the afl.com.au match review and has been praised here by many for tonight's effort. Whilst he did ok, I would hardly call 13 touches, 5 hitouts and two goals a good performance. Maybe I just expect too much off him....

Campbell is starting to look a little like Matthew Rogers. He's fumbling more than usual, seems to have lost some of his peripheral vision and he is kicking very awkwardly. Luke Power and Simon Black exposed him for a lack of pace. Painful to see him become a run of the mill player...

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 03:13:18 AM by JohnF »

Bulluss

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 08:52:33 AM »
I think Campbell maybe could go around again next season playing mainly across half forward. We all know that he is a fairly good mark one on one for his size and the pressure needs to be taken off him so that he doesnt feel that he has to play a negating role.

In turn the captaincy would also have to given to Johnson for mine, he leads by example everyweek with his hard at it style and as we know has been a tiger all his life(i.e supporter) so it would be an absolute boyhood dream and he would probably lift another notch.

The thing that wants me to give Blumfield more time is in the pre-season i seen him play an intraclub and about 4 times he hit richo on lead from about 40m away on his wrong foot. His marking really improved last night and he could be a very valuable player for us across half forward and sometimes in the middle. I know he is an Essendon Scum but he could be handy.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 10:16:21 AM »
Well I thoroughly enjoyed the game.  I went in with no expectations of a win - in fact was expecting a 60+ point flogging.  Atmosphere was great even though I was surrounded by Lions supporters, my daughter and I cheered with the best of them.

My thoughts on the players:

1.  Hilton.  One of his better games.  Some errors but the good he did made up for the bad.
2.  Gasper.  Yeah I agree with most - his slowness is his weakness. At one stage he was up in the forward zone (?)
5.  Ottens.  Not bad but needs more practice at marking which let him down a bit.
6.  Chaffey.  Seemed a bit quiet and a few errors. 
7.  Browny.  I don't know if I would rate him one of the best players last night.  Bit quiet for my liking.
8.  Pettifer.  As much as I don't like him, he played ok - not great but ok.
10. Stafford.  Like others said got better in the latter part of the game.
11. Bowden.  Did a great job on Brown but really needs work on his handballing - really lets him down.
13.  Blumfield.  Showed signs of why we picked him.  Let him have more games before deciding whether to keep him or not.
17.  Campbell.  Agree with the comment about Rogers.  Campbell isn't the player he used to be.
18.  Rodan.  Did some nice things.
19.  Fleming.  I really like this guys tenacity.  His skills tend to let him down but 10 points for enthusiasm.
20. Hall.  Not bad, again did some ok things.  Will help him when A.K. gets back.
21.  Tuck.  Nice to see him get some game time.  Give him more.
25.  Schultz.  Best player.  Pity he couldn't double-team with Richo - we might have won then.
27.  Krak.  Could have done with some of his magic last night.
28. Johnson.  Solid game.
31.  Hyde.  Another guy who really tries.
32.  Tivendale.  Oh dear - what has happened this year?  Mistakes really cost us.
35.  Newman.  Great job on Acker.
36.  Zantuck.  Too quiet.  Is his mind really on the game?
40.  Moore.  Another promising youngster.

One thing that really struck me was Acker's speed - when he got going - no-one could catch him.  The other was the great handballing skills from the Lions, especially Voss.

Jackstar

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 01:56:08 PM »
Hey Bull, give up your day time job as your assesment of the game is 100% spot on. You would be better than half the clowns down there.
Question I repeatedly ask is how on earth does Rodan keep getting a game.?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 06:41:43 PM »
Yep super-splud did it again.

He takes tuck off in the last quarter when Tuck was really playing well and we had a chance to win.  If Tuck was kept on I think we could have won it.

The move was probably aimed at us not losing our priority pick.  If that was the case then thanx spud.

Best game I've seen us play for a long time.......if we continue like this we will lose the priority pick as we will win a few games.

How far can Pettiferr kick the thing ?  He is a massive kick.  He's really playing well at the moment, probably saved his carreer I reckon. 

Gaspar is pathetic.  He reminds me of the Jerry Lewis films where he clumsily tips things over and breaks things.  A clear indication of Frawley looking after his mates and trying to hide him in the half forward line.  Same for Chaffey.  Now that Pettifer, Bowden, Hartigan and Newman can all hold down a half back position there is no real need for Chaff, also Kellway.  First 2 to be traded I'd say.

Schulz - Good signs and really has the potential to become our next FF.  Has natural talent - no doubt about that.  But what really impresses me is his aggression at the ball and man.  If you have both talent and aggression then it is a good mix for becoming a good player.  Early days I know but exciting.  I'd play him at FF for the rest of the year and play Richo at CHF.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 07:04:33 PM »
How far can Pettiferr kick the thing ?  He is a massive kick. 

Spot on Harry. Those kick-outs were huge! Easily reached well inside the centre square.

Schulz -  I'd play him at FF for the rest of the year and play Richo at CHF.

I agree with that set-up Harry but with Richo carrying extra weight this year that might have to wait until next year. Worried about him re-doing his hammy running around CHF :(. The other problem is we become too Richo conscious when he is playing. Our movement and decision making going inside 50 last night was the best it's been in ages.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 07:30:03 PM »
Spot on again Harry!

I noticed Pettifers 65 m kicks last week.....pretty impressive.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 08:51:23 PM »
I haven't watched the replay so I can only go by what I saw on the night. Just on a couple of blokes:

10. Stafford - best game this year I reckon. His work around the ground was really good and consistently dropped back to add height in the back half.

2. Gaspar - everyone covered it really well. I think being on the bench most of the game sums it up.

6. Chaffey - is anyone going to catch him for "The Golden Turnup"? In a word NOPE. Costly turnovers in the 3rd when we had the run.

25. Schulz - amazing what can happen when he is actually on the ground. I am a Schulz fan and I have been waiting for a game like this. Sensational! And didn't he and Moore team well together?

18. Rodan - I am sure a lot stuff probably didn't show up on the telly but his shepherds and second efforts were the best they have been in ages.

11. Joel Bowden - a fanatastic game by Joel. At the start of the game I thought this match wasn't going to work but it did and Joel was excellent. The rocket he got a few weeks back seems to have done the trick.

13 - Blumfield - best game from him this season (but that wouldn't be hard ;D). His chasing and second efforts were a vast improvement on what we have witnessed the pasy few weeks.

Bulluss made a comment about Blumfiled being out of contract and knowing what is required. I reckon you can apply this to a number of players.

It was pretty evident last night that alot blokes know they are playing for carrers over the next 9 weeks and now the focus on them.

PS: Thought Tuck was good - plays without fear
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)