Author Topic: Pride a Frawley priority  (Read 2069 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Pride a Frawley priority
« on: July 05, 2004, 02:30:32 AM »
05 July 2004   
Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

DANNY Frawley says his main responsibility as the caretaker coach of Richmond will be to engender the playing list with the sort of confidence they have lacked so far this season.

The Tigers have only four wins for the season and while they played out of their skins on Saturday night against Brisbane, Frawley knows one encouraging performance is not enough.

He said the playing group needed to string solid games together regardless of their win-loss ratio, starting against Essendon next Saturday.

"I love the game, I love coaching and things haven't worked out. I have just got to make sure we get these guys feeling confident in themselves. That is important going into the pre-season. I want to make sure going into Round 22 they know they can play and they have got a good solid future ahead of them," he said after his side's 18-point loss to the Lions at the Gabba.

"We move forward, I am moving forward and just want to make sure this playing group by the end of the year has got a hell of a lot of confidence."

Frawley's decision last week to tender his resignation active at season's end has raised speculation the club's coaching sub-committee could appoint a new coach while he is still at the helm.

He would not buy into any talk about that.

"I won't get involved in that. My responsibility is to the 42 players I have got.

"We are just going to concentrate on our team and focus. There is a hell of a lot of focus outside our team at the minute. We have just got to make sure we grow as a group."

While the club's losing streak stretched to six matches this week there was plenty to like for any prospective coach of the club.

Jay Schulz had kicked five goals in his first 15 matches, but raised that tally to 11 with a brilliant bag of six in Matthew Richardson's absence.

Joel Bowden has also hit peak form after a pre-season interrupted by osteitis pubis.

"(Chris) Newman on (Jason) Akermanis was really good, Kane Johnson on Blacky (Simon Black) was a great duel all night. Wayne (Campbell) on their skipper was a good effort. (Rory) Hilton stood up. Young Tucky (Shane Tuck) showed a little bit," Frawley said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10041984%255E19771,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Pride a Frawley priority
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 02:36:41 AM »

He said the playing group needed to string solid games together regardless of their win-loss ratio, starting against Essendon next Saturday.

Hope that is code for going for a priority draft pick. If the team puts on performances like on the weekend yet falls short on the scoreboard for the next 8 weeks, I can live with that. Problem with that though is if we play like that for the next 8 weeks we'll most likely win a few games which in the long-term are meaningless and detrimental to rebuilding our list :-\.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 02:30:27 PM »
Kids do Frawley proud
05 July 2004   Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

"I THOUGHT his effort to get injured was sensational, it really was."

This was no slip of the tongue from Richmond coach Danny Frawley post-match, just an honest assessment of a group of men that had finally decided to play for each other.

Midway through the second quarter, Chris Hyde was battered and bruised by his furious attack on the ball, but knew this was no time to give up.

He charged into another heavy encounter with Brisbane Lions defender Chris Johnson.

He came out hobbling with a badly corked leg and finally had to leave the field.

It might not have been the shoulder-wrenching sacrificial act Rory Hilton displayed several years back on the MCG but, for Frawley, it was enough.

"If he keeps giving those efforts he is going to win respect and the team is going to win respect," Frawley said.

"It's great to see that from up here. He took them on."

Brisbane was the shortest-priced favourite of the year for this match but the Tigers, given a licence to run and back themselves, were transformed.

There was no amazing bursts followed by capitulation – just a consistent effort across every line, starting in the middle with Nathan Brown, Kane Johnson and Wayne Campbell and finished by a couple of unlikely targets up forward.

Jay Schulz has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous several times this year with towering marks then costly skill errors, but Tiger fans have reason to think he came of age on Saturday night.

He got himself going with a leaping mark, running back and sideways at full stretch, in the first quarter. After he ran around to thread the goal, there was no stopping him.

On several opponents, including Mal Michael, he grabbed six goals playing deep alongside third-gamer Kelvin Moore, who ran hard and straight and showed signs.

With Brad Ottens a target at centre half-forward and Joel Bowden running off Jon Brown, the mix was finally right, even without big Richo as a target.

Shane Tuck found enough of the ball to earn his pay for the rest of the year, while a prospective coach would have liked the efforts of youngsters Chris Newman, Kane Pettifer and Tim Fleming.

Brisbane's midfield runners got on top early in the second quarter with Alastair Lynch hitting his straps, but the Tigers were not done.

Four goals in the third and fourth quarters saw them within six points 20 minutes into the last term when
Ottens and Rory Hilton goaled. It was not enough – it rarely is at the Gabba – but it was commendable.
Brisbane is purring.

As Frawley said, it brought back more than 700 games of experience for the match in Lynch, Blake Caracella and Shaun Hart, and should be in top form come finals time.

Lynch showed no signs of the ankle injury that has kept him out, Caracella's three goals and overhead marking were a highlight, and Hart's 14 touches were a good start.

They surged when they had to, the key players held their form, and when the game was up for grabs, a five-goal final quarter got them over the line.

The Tigers need to turn their temporary form spike into more, starting against an Essendon unit coming off three losses.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10041034%255E19771,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 04:46:14 PM »
This is part of article off the AFL site:

I have to say while having a drink at the after match these thoughts did cross my mind especially the bit about 
underachieving players (highlighted) I don't think Frawley is the only one entitled to ask

============================================================

Too little, too late for Frawley

Richmond coach Danny Frawley was delighted with his team's performance against reigning triple premiers Brisbane on Saturday night, describing it as the club's best performance of the season.

After all the Tigers, the biggest outsiders in any single AFL game this season, ran the league's best side to just 18 points at the Gabba, without Matthew Richardson, in the club's first match since Frawley announced he would be resigning at the end of this season after five, mostly unsuccessful years in charge.

But Frawley was also entitled to be angry after Saturday night's game and must be wondering why his under-achieving players needed him to announce his resignation before they began to play with the kind of application that should be mandatory for players at the highest level.

If the Tigers had shown the same kind of spirit in games against lesser sides this season than they did in Brisbane, then the club would certainly have more than four wins for the season, would probably be in touch with the top eight and talk of a board challenge and the constant damaging speculation about Frawley's position would not have occurred.

All Frawley can hope for now is the Tigers maintain the kind of effort put up against the Lions on Saturday night for the last eight games but he is certainly entitled to ask his players why that kind of effort was not displayed in the second half of the 2002 and 2003 seasons and the first half of this season.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=158313
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 05:18:15 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 05:06:28 PM »
It will be interesting to see if this was just a blip of good form :P like we had against Collingwood in round 1 and only due to the circuit breaker Danny's announcement caused or the usual underachievers suddenly working hard when it doesn't matter to save their AFL careers again. If it's the latter then Danny and rest of us are entitled to be filthy especially if it now costs us a priority draft pick. Hopefully Miller won't be fooled by sudden turnarounds in form as past List evaluators have. 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 05:22:15 PM »
I reckon that group I call the "usual suspects" cannot hide behind the coach now that he has quit. It would be reasonable to say that some have for the last 3 years hid behind the coach, let him take the heat, while not taking responsibility for their own meek efforts. Well with Danny pulling the pin they cannot hide now, they are under the microscope.

I have no doubt that some players no matter what they do for the next 8 weeks are gone, gawn, gone.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)