Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 238903 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: A-League thread
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 11:14:05 PM »
Go the Roar :bow

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 04:08:21 AM »
Go the Roar :bow

The Roar were stiff. I was hoping they would win just to knock Sydney FC out.

The Victory will be happy to get Adelaide in the semis instead of the in-form Newcastle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »

The Roar were stiff. I was hoping they would win just to knock Sydney FC out.

The Victory will be happy to get Adelaide in the semis instead of the in-form Newcastle.

I agree. Newcastle are looking dangerous, and I've been very impressed this season with the ability of Carle, Griffiths and Bridge. I think they'll be too good for Sydney.

Ramps

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
I dont care who wins the championship as long as its not the Victory.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2007, 10:29:11 PM »
I just don't care  :P

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 04:14:22 PM »
I agree. Newcastle are looking dangerous, and I've been very impressed this season with the ability of Carle, Griffiths and Bridge. I think they'll be too good for Sydney.

2-1 to Sydney after the first leg although Newcastle did get a valuable away goal. Even stevens at this stage. Newcastle just need a 1-0 win at home and they're through.

retygas

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 09:10:25 PM »
Don't know how a game that has so much racial hatred in it is still allowed to be played. And this is all over the world you here of violence at a soccer matches or after then match. If it was up to me I would only televise the match then let the people wreck their own houses. I have grown to hate what this game stand for and thats no crap.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 07:30:44 AM »
Most of the violence over the years at soccer games in Australia was racially based because most of the clubs were formed along ethnic lines. However that line of thought doesn't make any sense in say England or most traditional soccer countries where most clubs are over 100 years old and represent a local area or town. 

All football codes are tribal by nature. It becomes a problem when that tribalism is taken to the extreme. The AFL is strongly controlled compared to the old VFL days with suburban grounds. SA/Crows supporters would damage cars at Footy Park with Vic number plates  ::).

You'll find that in England where hooliganism use to be the worse, having full-seated stadiums and the high cost of going to games (cheapest season ticket for a big club would be over $2000) has put a dampner on hooliganism inside the grounds at club level. Most of these morons now follow the national team around Europe with no intention of buying a ticket.

The whole set-up of the A-league is based on having non-ethnic based clubs unlike the old NSL. So far the crowds as a whole have been well-behaved.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 08:42:40 PM »
The first leg finished 0-0. A bit of a nothing score excuse the pun. Good for the Victory to get out with a draw away especially the way they are playing but a goal to Adelaide at the Dome would make it really tough for Melbourne.

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 12:20:45 PM »
Id like atleast 1 away goal probably 2 away goals forcing Melbourne to score 3 times to win.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »
Id like atleast 1 away goal probably 2 away goals forcing Melbourne to score 3 times to win.

You want them regulated to the VPL and Hellas promoted to the A-league Ramps  ;D.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 09:59:06 PM »
Newcastle has knocked Sydney FC out  :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
Just got back from the Dome. The Victory into the Granny 2-1 with a late injury-time winner  :woohoo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 03:43:04 AM »
Hey Ramps, here's South Melb's chance  ;)

-------------------------

Government threatens Victory with new team
Ellen Whinnett
Herald-Sun
February 09, 2007 12:00am

THE Victorian Government has threatened to seek a rival A-League team for Melbourne if Victory snubs the planned new rectangular stadium and signs with Telstra Dome.

Major Projects Minister Theo Theophanous said last night the Government would approach Football Federation Australia to bring a second team to Melbourne if Victory refused to commit to the $190 million rectangular stadium the Government plans to build at Edwin Flack Field.

The threat comes after talks between Victory and the Government failed to resolve the deadlock over the proposed stadium, which would house the NRL's Melbourne Storm, the AFL's Melbourne Demons and, the Government hopes, the A-League's Melbourne Victory.

Theophanous confirmed last night Victory chairman Geoff Lord had suggested to him this week that the Government abandon the planned stadium and instead spend $50 million modifying Telstra Dome to better showcase sports that use rectangular playing fields.

The Government rejected the proposal and Theophanous reaffirmed its commitment to building the new stadium, at an increased size of at least 27,500 seats.

"I made it clear to him that we would be building the stadium," Theophanous said.

He said he would not let Victory's "sweetheart arrangement" with Telstra Dome stop the Government building the stadium, which is already months behind schedule.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21195120-2883,00.html

Ramps

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 05:14:19 PM »
I felt sick, adelaide were home, newcastle were going to chuck you clowns out next week and then ... ahhh stuff it, I still feel sick. I hope Newcastle gets to the grand final and Coveny fixes the Victory.