Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 242005 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: A-League thread
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »
LOL Ramps.

Cheer up. Apparently the latest rumour has Richard Branson backing South Melbourne to join the A-league wearing their 1950's top with red added given the Virgin sponsorship that would come along with it.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007, 07:23:48 PM »
Archie 4. Victory 4 - 0  :rollin. This could turn up being 7 or 8 to nil.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
Archie 5  :gobdrop

Ramps

« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2007, 03:07:58 PM »
LOL Ramps.

Cheer up. Apparently the latest rumour has Richard Branson backing South Melbourne to join the A-league wearing their 1950's top with red added given the Virgin sponsorship that would come along with it.

Rumour is indeed that South have secured a major international investor wanting exposure for his company. Said person can afford it...as I mentioned in an earlier post for him the annual cost of running an a league side is like weekly pocket money. We shall wait and see however.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »
Kosmina has got the chop by Adelaide Utd. LOL blaming the ref for a 6-0 thumping.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 03:52:54 AM »
The new rectangular stadium is going ahead.....

---------------------------------

Victory for a bigger stadium
EXCLUSIVE: Chris Tinkler, State politics reporter
Herald-Sun
March 04, 2007 12:00am

A NEW-look sports stadium for Melbourne will be announced today.

The redesigned stadium -- to seat 31,500 fans if Melbourne Victory come on board or 27,750 without the soccer club -- will be unveiled by Premier Steve Bracks.

The announcement will end more than 18 months' speculation over the stadium.

The Government will today announce its preferred bidder for the Olympic Park project.

Detailed talks will then begin immediately over construction, with the deal expected to be finalised within a few weeks.

Melbourne Victory has so far refused to sign up to the new ground because it wants a 40,000-plus venue.

"If Victory is not with us then it will be frozen out for good," a government source warned yesterday.

The 27,750-seater option will cost $256 million, with most money coming from the government.

The 31,500-capacity option, including Victory as one of the tenants, is understood to cost a few million dollars more.

The new stadium, due to be finished in 2009, will not differ significantly from the original 20,000-capacity design.

But it is likely the stands will be extended towards the pitch sidelines and additional seats will be fitted behind each goal.

The announcement will place immense pressure on Victory.

Telstra Dome, which has hosted several Victory games this year, has offered the champions a cut-price deal to stay there for 10 years.

But that could leave Victory playing most games in a half-full stadium not designed for soccer.

And the expected arrival of a second Melbourne team in the A-League in 2010, playing in the new purpose-built rectangular stadium, could signal a mass exodus of Victory fans.

The Government has said it is happy for Victory to switch to the MCG or Telstra Dome for blockbuster matches, such as games against Sydney FC, if it chooses Olympic Park as its main base.

Government sources said the stadium could also host a Melbourne rugby union team if the Super 14 expands again.

"This is the best possible stadium for fans of soccer, rugby league and rugby union," a government source said yesterday.

"We have made it clear that we will go ahead with or without the Victory."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21321331-2883,00.html

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2007, 01:05:45 PM »
Why can't the govt build a larger stadium?

Because this is it's way of putting a lid on the growth of soccer in this country.

MV shouldn't settle for anything under 40K
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2007, 02:06:53 PM »
Why can't the govt build a larger stadium?

Because this is it's way of putting a lid on the growth of soccer in this country.

MV shouldn't settle for anything under 40K

The unbelievable success of the Victory isn't being replicated elsewhere. Queensland is next closest in terms of a large growing supporter base but Perth is getting smaller crowds than they did in the old NSL, Adelaide hasn't changed, Sydney FC can only attract 25k and NZ is/was a flop. Newcastle and the Central Coast have strong support for their size but that's still only 15k. It is Melbourne Victory then daylight both on and off the pitch. The question is can these crowds be sustained if they stop dominating/winning and in 5 years time when the novelty wears off and a second Melbourne side is introduced into the A-league. Sadly soccer officials in this country have a habit of getting carried away and screwing up.

The new stadium is also for the Storm who get crowds of 10-15k. No point having a 40k stadium that is 2/3 empty.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2007, 05:00:36 AM »
The FFA has signed a 3-year deal with NZ to play out of Wellington in the A-league ???

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2007, 05:29:59 PM »
LOL Ramps.

Rumour is indeed that South have secured a major international investor wanting exposure for his company. Said person can afford it...as I mentioned in an earlier post for him the annual cost of running an a league side is like weekly pocket money. We shall wait and see however.

Ramps, the latest talk is the second team will be called the South pirates.

Ramps

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2007, 06:24:55 PM »
I am on the Pirates bandwagon  :clapping

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2007, 06:42:26 PM »
I am on the Pirates bandwagon  :clapping
I have a feeling you'd like the crew of the good ship Victory to swab their poop deck. (like this... :-*)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ramps

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »
i just wanna say for me its like this, in life ive only truly supported and loved 2 football teams. The Tiges in the AFL and South Melbourne in the soccer. Im 36 and im loyal to what i believe, imagine if Demetriou put the 3 or 4 melbourne sides out of the comp and we were one of those, how many of us would support another AFL team. No one lol. Thats my issue with the soccer, the victory and south. I was born and bred into supporting these clubs. I cannot change. For me Richmond and South Melbourne is for life, there can be no other option.

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »
Will be interesting to see...they will have an established support base...just how many will be drawn away from the Victory is the question.
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2007, 07:39:04 PM »
Every Greek Melbournian will be in mourning after last night's result lol.