Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 248096 times)

10 FLAGS

Re: A-League thread
« Reply #615 on: August 22, 2011, 02:03:36 PM »
LMFAO at all these soccer people creaming their jocks about Kewell.

Got news for you people its a bandaid solution. Kewell will stop the bleeding for 1 year tops then when he fails to fire Australian Soccer will be back where it belongs, on the brink of collapse

:clapping

Daniel speaks the truth  :cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #616 on: August 22, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »

Got news for you people its a bandaid solution. Kewell will stop the bleeding for 1 year tops then when he fails to fire Australian Soccer will be back where it belongs, on the brink of collapse

Melbourne victory football club have Many thousands of fans and members for 7+ odd years now long before kewell. And the Will keep on after kewell.

Edited to correct quote. Also keep the personal insults off the board
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:58:40 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #617 on: August 22, 2011, 07:58:55 PM »

Melbourne victory football club have Many thousands of fans and members for 7+ odd years now long before kewell. And the Will keep on after kewell.

Why because i said the A league is a joke?

I would rather watch grass grow than subject myself to watching a bunch of hacks who cant get game time overseas, surrounded by a bunch of hoons throwing flares.

Kewell is a shadow of his former self. Demanding money as if his the best thing to happen to Australian sport. :lol :lol

Low crowds, clubs on the brink. Yeah future looks bright for the A League. Where do i sign

Edited: to correct quote & refer above
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:59:32 PM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #618 on: August 22, 2011, 09:34:48 PM »
If the a-league is a joke why do you waste so much time worrying about it and it's future?
B) why do fans go watch Mvfc/aleague/asianchampsleague game live or on tv?   As much as it may not suit your argument thr aleague was set up by the power of johnhoward and frank lowy money. You saying it will fail does not make it so.

I yhink you will find the like of soloarzo. Archie Thompson. Kewel. Hernandez. Leijer
would be game time at varying skill level professional leagues on euorpe or other parts of the world.

I don't think there is too much wrong with flares. Each to their own.

Kewell has been in good form at club level in turkey and respecrted there be a large Europe (sortof) side and has been among Australian best footballer in the Australia national football team at the last 2 world cups (This country has only been in 3 in last 150 yr)  and was good in recent Asia cup.

Low crowds; Melbourne have proved it cam still out docklands (2006) unlike afl clubs
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:08:45 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #619 on: August 25, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
One game the Grand Final. Woo hoo.
They play in front of 7000 in the Champions League at the Dome in an empty stadium. North vs Port gets a bigger crowd.
Kewell will milk the Victory for what it is worth.
Same with Emerton when he goes to Sydney FC.

North QLD is gone.
Brisbane won a championship and were on the brink of receivership.
Adelaide needed the FFA to step in. Perth too.
Central Coast were in trouble for a while and Newcastle were lucky to find new owners when they did.
Six out of the 11 teams that began last season were in financial woes and one didn't make it. FACT.

South Melbourne, Marconi, Adel City, Melbourne Knights, Perth Glory, Woolongong Wolves, Melbourne Knights, Sydney Olympic for years were the backbone of the league with not much financial diasarray as exists now.

To make a comparison if you can be cynical on the financial state of Naught, St Kilda, Port and Dogs it would be more than hypocritical to turn away and see that more than half the A League clubs are in trouble financially and the only thing that is prolonging their existence is the Foxtel TV rights and the Socceroos performing reasonably well in the AFC and qualifying for the WC.

Other than Adelaide United no Aussie Club has looked to progress any further than the group stage in the Champions League. Victory in 2007 lost in Indonesia and Thailand. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Real quality there. Its not just the league and the way it is packaged but the clubs and the standard of soccer is so inferior.

Out of the World Cup squad that was selected last year how many plied their trade in the A League. There are some VPL players who could make Allsopp and Thompson look worse than what they are. FACT

All these new soccer fans who let it be said if Oz never qualified for the WC in 2006 would still be talking about the Wallabies and Glenn McGrath Shane Warne and Pat Rafter yet all of a sudden have some sort of vague idea on the history of Soccer in this country. Its like talking about the Sydney Swans or Brisbane yet not acknowledging anything prior to 1982 or 1996.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #620 on: August 25, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
Docklands is a horrid souless thing that is not ideal for association football matches. I think you will find Swan Street Stadium is a world class niche ground with a wonderful feel.  Future acl games played at the Mvfc true home ground in the olympicpark Richmond area with the prospect ofskipper leijer. Carlos. Kewell etc will be well supported by crowd numbers and watched by potentially 100millions of people across Asia an the world. In may take MelbourneVFC some years or evens decades to find it feet at champions league level. However when it does the thought of a being champions of Asia. Ahead of very strong jap/korea/Arab and also Chinese team who will get stronger is something very cool. That Australian rules football could never dream of. Jonny Warren is proud in heaven I reckon.

I doubt kewell will milk Mvfc and infact he will be a big bonus to the club for at least next 3 seasons.

The FFA are a pack of idiots but association football is growing in this country nf you not liking it indoubt will stop it. North qld was done too early. A tassie side would hve been much better. Gosford is a beuitful place and a real family club with heaps of kids and a lovery bluetojnge stadium. They will be fine.

As for soccer clubs struggling for money and needing the goverig body I would of thought afl was much the same...  Port. North. Gold coast. Richmond. Melb. Dogs. Fitzory. Etc

One game the Grand Final. Woo hoo.
They play in front of 7000 in the Champions League at the Dome in an empty stadium. North vs Port gets a bigger crowd.
Kewell will milk the Victory for what it is worth.
Same with Emerton when he goes to Sydney FC.

North QLD is gone.
Brisbane won a championship and were on the brink of receivership.
Adelaide needed the FFA to step in. Perth too.
Central Coast were in trouble for a while and Newcastle were lucky to find new owners when they did.
Six out of the 11 teams that began last season were in financial woes and one didn't make it. FACT.

South Melbourne, Marconi, Adel City, Melbourne Knights, Perth Glory, Woolongong Wolves, Melbourne Knights, Sydney Olympic for years were the backbone of the league with not much financial diasarray as exists now.

To make a comparison if you can be cynical on the financial state of Naught, St Kilda, Port and Dogs it would be more than hypocritical to turn away and see that more than half the A League clubs are in trouble financially and the only thing that is prolonging their existence is the Foxtel TV rights and the Socceroos performing reasonably well in the AFC and qualifying for the WC.

Other than Adelaide United no Aussie Club has looked to progress any further than the group stage in the Champions League. Victory in 2007 lost in Indonesia and Thailand. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Real quality there. Its not just the league and the way it is packaged but the clubs and the standard of soccer is so inferior.

Out of the World Cup squad that was selected last year how many plied their trade in the A League. There are some VPL players who could make Allsopp and Thompson look worse than what they are. FACT

All these new soccer fans who let it be said if Oz never qualified for the WC in 2006 would still be talking about the Wallabies and Glenn McGrath Shane Warne and Pat Rafter yet all of a sudden have some sort of vague idea on the history of Soccer in this country. Its like talking about the Sydney Swans or Brisbane yet not acknowledging anything prior to 1982 or 1996.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #621 on: August 25, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
Marconi. Hellas. Knights etc. I see as a postive. These clubs that still exist and will keep on Doing so willdown the track play. Australia FA cups against aleague clubs and this should led to mny good things.  I hope to see divisions and promotion.

Victory has has very tough groups and has been unlucky to not progress. Adelaide were given very soft groups. I think you will find Asian football is a quite good quailty and beating these sides should not be takn for granted. That said if you like at the current Mvfc squad compared to 2004 the standard of football is on the rise.

Archie was the 2nd highest goal scorer in the Belgium league in his lady season from memory and was bought by psv so he must be of some quailty. I watched him nutmeg argentia players  players who are on 130000$ per week from the members of the mcg.  No one claims allsopp is a superstar but he is a decent football with a big heart. He won't be in victory best11 this season.

2006/aleague. Squad. Kewell. Culina. Moore. Skoko.  Lazardis.  Aloisi. Beacchamp. 
Archie Thompson. Sterjovicc. A fair few currently play aleague or did up untill recently. From memory the back ups in Germany were leijer. Sarkies. Pafata who are also aleague.

In regards to new soccer fans, I think you might be forgetting how many people in australia  devestated after Iran/mcg. 97. Anyone who wants to get an idea of thr history of thrsport in this country would get a decent account from the book. Wigs. Shilers. And poofters

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #622 on: August 25, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
Marconi. Hellas. Knights etc. I see as a postive. These clubs that still exist and will keep on Doing so willdown the track play. Australia FA cups against aleague clubs and this should led to mny good things.  I hope to see divisions and promotion.

Victory has has very tough groups and has been unlucky to not progress. Adelaide were given very soft groups. I think you will find Asian football is a quite good quailty and beating these sides should not be takn for granted. That said if you like at the current Mvfc squad compared to 2004 the standard of football is on the rise.

Archie was the 2nd highest goal scorer in the Belgium league in his lady season from memory and was bought by psv so he must be of some quailty. I watched him nutmeg argentia players  players who are on 130000$ per week from the members of the mcg.  No one claims allsopp is a superstar but he is a decent football with a big heart. He won't be in victory best11 this season.

2006/aleague. Squad. Kewell. Culina. Moore. Skoko.  Lazardis.  Aloisi. Beacchamp. 
Archie Thompson. Sterjovicc. A fair few currently play aleague or did up untill recently. From memory the back ups in Germany were leijer. Sarkies. Pafata who are also aleague.

In regards to new soccer fans, I think you might be forgetting how many people in australia  devestated after Iran/mcg. 97. Anyone who wants to get an idea of thr history of thrsport in this country would get a decent account from the book. Wigs. Shilers. And sissyters

Fred is a Brazilian but by no means other than his country of origin can he be compared to Dunga, Roberto Carlos Ronaldo or Rivaldo. If Archie nutmegs him then he's done it to a Brazilian also I suppose... If he's that good
As for Thompson nutmeging players from Argentina lets just set this example to compare. Nathan Bower was hardly known to set the world on fire but he got lucky and played a few good games against Peter Matera who was a well known and well credentialled footballer. I wouldn't read too much into that. It's like Jako's baulk in the last quarter against the Swans. In the overall scheme of things one piece of good play amongst 10 pieces of average or below average pieces of play is worth remembering only because of the sub standard nature of the individual's skill.

As for his move to PSG. He wasn't bought he was loaned out b/c Guus was there. Two games no goals. Hardly electrifying. It's like being player 43 on Collingwood's list yet claiming Premiership status..........

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #623 on: August 25, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Messi played that night so he was going against a decent outfit in the argies.

Archi 4th season in Belgium he finished 14goals/29games.

Anyway he wouldn't be in Mvfc best five players these days so argue the abilty of Archie is only a small piece of the overall picture of the aleague argument you are trying yk make.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #624 on: August 25, 2011, 08:27:55 PM »
Of course because Messi was playing that made the Argi team more formidable and Archies nutmeg all the better......
I guess our third quarter against Collingwood in ROund 4 was better than any other quarter we played all season and based on that we are better than where we are because it was after all a decent outfit in the reigning premier.

The Belgian league is hardly what it used to be and scoring 14 goals in 29 is noteworthy at best.
Yep not everyone can play in the big leagues in Europe but if you are not playing in Spain England Germany and Italy as I said achievements are noteworthy at best.
If you want to stack up the facts Archie was loaned out to PSV when he was selected for the 2006 WC squad.
Yet the European based players who played were from predominantely from English and Italian teams. Archie didn't get a look in and hence never played. Merely insurance and in the lead up games struggled to cope with the pace and international level against bona fide stars.
It's ok to score 5 in a final against players who wouldn't play in the second or third tier in some of Europes best leagues but its in those leagues where you make your reputation.
Good luck to the man he's made his money but even at his peak I would not select him.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #625 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »

Edited to correct quote. Also keep the personal insults off the board

Give me Emmerton over Kewell any day. Well done Sydney FC. Good things come to those who wait!  :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #626 on: August 26, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »
The ACL schedule is out of whack with the A-league as the Australian teams from the year before play in it at the end of the next season. The ACL this year had Sydney FC who were 2nd bottom in the A-league and Victory were middle-of-the road with a poor defence. No surprise they went crap as they were crap sides. If Brisbane had played instead they would've easily made the knockout stage. The only time Victory has played in the ACL when near the top of the A-league was two years ago and they had the ridiculous situation of playing an A-league final then straight after the game rushing to Tullamarine to fly 8 hours to play in the ACL within 24 hours. Not even in top flight European Soccer with big clubs with strong squads that have depth does that happen.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #627 on: August 27, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »
As much as it pains me to say this but Emerton is a great signing. Kewell wont do anything for Victory after the first 12 months and the excitement wears off for the fans.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #628 on: August 27, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Did emerton play in the ..06 world cup?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #629 on: August 27, 2011, 03:51:41 PM »
Kewell, Emerton, A-League  :sleep :sleep :sleep :sleep

:rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)