Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 241954 times)

dwaino

Re: A-League thread
« Reply #2115 on: January 28, 2018, 02:19:54 AM »
I didn't want to include the one against Brillante (I think it was) for fouling as last man and denying a goal scoring opportunity as I don't think we were in control of the ball. If it were deemed that way then it was definitely there but for the sake of the game I'm glad the ref didn't call it that way, just like it should have been left when Williams was sent off for it against Wellington when the both the ref and the VAR gave it the all clear initially.

A few seasons ago Milligan was actually suspended by the MRP for collecting I think it was a City player with his elbow. Unfortunately wrong shade of blue, Adrian gets off and is there to set up the win.

While I think we've got some fair excuses after that game it doesn't change the fact that Kev has lost the plot at team selection. I think had Leroy played we would have scored at least once when we were all over them in the first 25 minutes. Ingham should never start ever again, he should feel lucky if he even gets to put a tracksuit on to sit on the bench. He is just garbage. Deng at LB to begin with, OK, sure, doesn't hurt to try a few things and it worked in round 1. However he got smashed in the second half, Broxham has been playing LB well so why they weren't swapped is beyond me. Had Deng been moved to CB there is no way Bozo would have been able to get that header in. Not sure what Theo has to do to get a start. Are they scared he will show his worth and get scooped up like Pasquali? Need to start giving him more than injury time or another A-League is just going to take him. Bes is done. He tries hard, in his heart he means well and he's still got the brains but his pace and reactions are really falling behind. Unfortunately we've got no one else, still don't know the point in signing Kenny. Troisi was a gun last season, but it seems after his failed move to England his heart isn't in it this season and he's really frustrating to watch. Antonis has to be tried at 10. And the sooner this season is over and Valeri retires the better.

dwaino

« Reply #2116 on: January 28, 2018, 02:25:13 AM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2117 on: January 28, 2018, 04:57:07 AM »
#weareeveryonesgrandfinal
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2118 on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:16 PM »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2119 on: January 30, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »
I didn't want to include the one against Brillante (I think it was) for fouling as last man and denying a goal scoring opportunity as I don't think we were in control of the ball. If it were deemed that way then it was definitely there but for the sake of the game I'm glad the ref didn't call it that way, just like it should have been left when Williams was sent off for it against Wellington when the both the ref and the VAR gave it the all clear initially.

A few seasons ago Milligan was actually suspended by the MRP for collecting I think it was a City player with his elbow. Unfortunately wrong shade of blue, Adrian gets off and is there to set up the win.

While I think we've got some fair excuses after that game it doesn't change the fact that Kev has lost the plot at team selection. I think had Leroy played we would have scored at least once when we were all over them in the first 25 minutes. Ingham should never start ever again, he should feel lucky if he even gets to put a tracksuit on to sit on the bench. He is just garbage. Deng at LB to begin with, OK, sure, doesn't hurt to try a few things and it worked in round 1. However he got smashed in the second half, Broxham has been playing LB well so why they weren't swapped is beyond me. Had Deng been moved to CB there is no way Bozo would have been able to get that header in. Not sure what Theo has to do to get a start. Are they scared he will show his worth and get scooped up like Pasquali? Need to start giving him more than injury time or another A-League is just going to take him. Bes is done. He tries hard, in his heart he means well and he's still got the brains but his pace and reactions are really falling behind. Unfortunately we've got no one else, still don't know the point in signing Kenny. Troisi was a gun last season, but it seems after his failed move to England his heart isn't in it this season and he's really frustrating to watch. Antonis has to be tried at 10. And the sooner this season is over and Valeri retires the better.
The senior core of our squad hasn't really changed since Muscat took over. Sure we've lost good players but we haven't replaced them with similar quality and Kevin relies on the same older (and now slower) blokes to try and deliver. As much as Milligan is another loss, let's hope we take this opportunity to rejuvenate our squad over the next six-twelve months. Agree Bes and Valeri are done and are the older blokes that needs to make way.

Theo isn't getting a start because they don't believe he has the tank to play a full game.

Stuff me

https://twitter.com/Ancelottery/status/957061524442333184

LOL. Nah nothing suss going on here  :whistle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #2120 on: January 30, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
Kev also hasn't changed the way we play. His plan won the double and nearly got us there again, only missing out by essentially the flip of a coin (penalties), but to stay on top he needs to keep evolving. I don't think he has any new ideas. TM hit on the head, Kev needs to go on a trip overseas for a season and watch some other teams. Maybe even manage in another league. I'm writing this season off. I hope we get a get a new manager, clean out some of the older blokes and just simply hacks like Ingham, bank Milligan's $1million and go shopping on a marquee or two with some clever recruiting at the 10, LB and CM/DM.

As for the fouls, I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter what sport it is the better teams are going to generally concede less fouls while the poorer teams will commit more, and this is just due to general discipline and also being in possession more. I don't see how any team after 12 rounds can be twice as far ahead. Averages don't work that way unless they're artificially skewed.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2121 on: January 31, 2018, 01:02:06 AM »
Kev also hasn't changed the way we play. His plan won the double and nearly got us there again, only missing out by essentially the flip of a coin (penalties), but to stay on top he needs to keep evolving. I don't think he has any new ideas. TM hit on the head, Kev needs to go on a trip overseas for a season and watch some other teams. Maybe even manage in another league. I'm writing this season off. I hope we get a get a new manager, clean out some of the older blokes and just simply hacks like Ingham, bank Milligan's $1million and go shopping on a marquee or two with some clever recruiting at the 10, LB and CM/DM.
Agree with all that, dwaino. Definitely, less and not more Ingham types  :help.

As for the fouls, I'm a firm believer that it doesn't matter what sport it is the better teams are going to generally concede less fouls while the poorer teams will commit more, and this is just due to general discipline and also being in possession more.
That's true unless you're Richmond  ;).

I don't see how any team after 12 rounds can be twice as far ahead. Averages don't work that way unless they're artificially skewed.
Finding the mean (6.4) & standard deviation (1.0) of the other 9 sides, then Sydney are almost 8 standard deviations away from the mean whereas every other team is within 1.5 sigma either side of the mean and non-skewed. So yep it's fair to say Sydney's is artificially skewed as the probability of it being just a statistical anomaly is virtually zero.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2122 on: February 04, 2018, 03:30:06 AM »
Another day and another game that sums up our season. Plenty of chances but none in the back of the net while the opposition take their opportunities  :P.

dwaino

« Reply #2123 on: February 04, 2018, 12:37:58 PM »
I've already written the season off. I'm behind Di Pietro, the whole comp has stagnated and needs to separated from the FFA. So embarrassing every time the camera went to Van Marwijk watching our league of recycled hacks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2124 on: February 10, 2018, 03:13:19 AM »
That pathetic first half last night surely will be the straw that broke the camel's back. A football club usually reacts when the home supporters start chanting loudly mocking the team for being crap and they booed Muscat every time his face appeared on the big screen. You have to go back to Durakovic & Magilton to when it was this bad  :help.

dwaino

« Reply #2125 on: February 10, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »
When everyone starts booing the coach and the south end starts chanting “we’re stuffin poo” you know the writing is on the wall

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2126 on: February 11, 2018, 11:59:59 AM »
A race between Muscat and Wenger on who will be sacked by their respective club first :yep.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2127 on: February 18, 2018, 04:11:41 AM »
The FFA have today said that they are targeting the addition of two new franchises to the A-League for the 2019-2020 season, bringing the competition up to 12 teams, with an announcement of the successful bids to be made before the end of the year.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/16/garb-hails-huge-a-league-expansion-announcement/

dwaino

« Reply #2128 on: February 18, 2018, 12:55:40 PM »
pee off the Nix.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2129 on: February 18, 2018, 03:10:08 PM »
That would appease/please the AFC, dwaino.

As far as expansion, I'll believe it when I see it with how dysfunctional the FFA is now.