Author Topic: Past captains make the best coaches - Matthews  (Read 1468 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Past captains make the best coaches - Matthews
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:26:23 AM »
Matthews recommends O'Donnell for top job
By Peter Blucher
Brisbane
realfooty.theage.com.au
July 6, 2004

Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews yesterday offered a glowing endorsement of Gary O'Donnell as a future AFL coach and told how he would hate to be in the position of having to appoint a successor to Danny Frawley at Richmond or Gary Ayres at Adelaide.

In recommending O'Donnell, his No. 1 lieutenant of the past six years, Matthews tipped the former Essendon captain to make a successful transition to senior coach and suggested former club captains invariably made the best coaches.

"Gary's been a fantastic support to me and a fantastic contributor to our operation for half a dozen years. If he can get a senior coaching job and he wants to take it, we'd be only too happy for him," Matthews said. "He's very stable, is a very strong character and has composure under pressure. Of the assistant coaches I think Gary has a lot of status.

"If you ask yourself , 'Where would you go for future coaches' you go to the past captains of footy clubs - people who, when they played, were seen as leaders. That's a pretty good recommendation from a club where they are closely involved.

"Most of the successful coaches probably were captains or close to it," he said.

O'Donnell, a 243-game Bomber and club captain, followed Matthews to Brisbane on a three-year deal in 1999 and has operated on a year-to-year basis since then.

He rejected an approach from Geelong in 2003 to stay with the Lions in the hope of being part of the club's premiership treble.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Past captains make the best coaches - Matthews
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 01:25:58 AM »
I think you can argue for and against captains making the best coaches. Out of the 2004 coaches:

Former captains: Ayres (P), Matthews (P*), Sheedy (P), Thomson (P*), N.Daniher, Williams, Frawley, Roos, Worsfold (P*).

Not captain: Pagan, Malthouse (P), Connolly, Schwab (P), Laidley (P), Thomas, Rhode, Craig.

Frawley and Ayres failed. Pagan is one of the fab four of modern coaches.

Of past coaches: Tim Watson (P) was a failure.

If you just take the premiership coaches from the last 30 or so years - Matthews (C,P*), Sheedy (C,P), Pagan, Blight (C,P), Parkin (C,P*), Malthouse (P), Jeans (?), Joyce, Walls (C,P), Jewell (P), Barassi (C,P*), Kennedy (?) and Hafey. Notice most of them played in premierships themselves although Hafey didn't but that was 30 years ago. More recent ones mostly have.

P* - premiership captain, P - played in a premiership, C - captain

Of the candidates for the Richmond job only O'Donnell was a captain (not a premiership one) and played in a flag. Eade, Wallace and Harvey played in premiership teams.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 01:29:08 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wrennyboy

• Future Richmond star
  • Captain Coughlan
Re: Past captains make the best coaches - Matthews
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 01:03:26 PM »
I wouldnt mind seeing o donnel appointed i just want matthews to lead o donnel take over the reigns even this weekend against the bulldogs at the gabba to make him know what it feels like.
wrenny