Author Topic: Your Richmond Draft Predictions  (Read 4896 times)

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Your Richmond Draft Predictions
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2006, 09:10:28 PM »

Except for Anderson I disagree.

Pick 13. Clayton Collard
Pick 26. Ben Reid
Pick 58. Nathan Brown or James Frawley
Pick 60. Rayn Anderson

God we just got rid of one Frawley....

Forget his surname is Frawley. The kid has talent.

Athletic, competitive, good hands and fantastic lock down key defender.

Kicking only thing only holding him back.

Ramps

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2006, 09:38:27 PM »
If he cant kick Bluey thats a major problem for the kid. I hope we dont take Frawley.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2006, 10:21:43 PM »
If he cant kick Bluey thats a major problem for the kid. I hope we dont take Frawley.

Yep if they can't kick or are severely one-sided then pass. Good footskills are a necessity in modern footy. We've been burnt too long with players who can't hit targets regularly by foot. We aren't turnover kings for nothing. It is a major concern still for our coaching staff. A suss kicking action will be exposed big time under pressure as we know.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2006, 08:43:18 AM »

You have no chance these days if you can't kick.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »
There is a flaw in his kicking, very similar to Andrew Swallow.

However if he can work on his kicking technique he can get to be very adequate. Wallace and our development team can help him resolve this problem.

Also, what i'm trying to say is forget that he is not a great kick. He is one of the best lock-down key defenders. If someone ir running rampant you can send him on to that guy and he will be quelled.

Besides we are in desperate need for a good negating key defender anyway  :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »
Besides we are in desperate need for a good negating key defender anyway  :help

As much as Gas has been a terrific lockdown full-back for us over the years we don't want a younger version of Gas. Our next key wave of key defenders need to have a reliable kicking action and can hit targets accurately when rebounding from the backline.

Ramps

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 04:53:14 PM »
Ive just done my annual draft preview based on Inside Football mags descriptions, every year I do it and based on my stupid selections process which includes discounting the thoughts of some of the coaches who never say anything bad...this is my list, Usually my list has about 8 names on it and I hope we get 2 but this year theres more names. So here is my annual IF Draft analysis AND the players given good reviews- if we get 2 out 5 weve done average, 3 out of 5 is good, 4 is very good and 5 is excellent.
The list doesnt include any of the players like Gibbs, Leuenberger etc. coz clearly they aren't gonna be there.  So here are the 14 names on the list- not in any order at all.

Daniel O'Keefe, Clinton Benjamin, Nathan Brown, Daniel Connors, James Hawksley,  Ben Reid, Tim Houlihan, Jarryd Allan, Jarryd Morton, Will Schofield, Todd Goldstein, Ryan Anderson, David MacKay and Alex Lee.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 06:21:17 PM »
Ive just done my annual draft preview based on Inside Football mags descriptions, every year I do it and based on my stupid selections process which includes discounting the thoughts of some of the coaches who never say anything bad...this is my list, Usually my list has about 8 names on it and I hope we get 2 but this year theres more names. So here is my annual IF Draft analysis AND the players given good reviews- if we get 2 out 5 weve done average, 3 out of 5 is good, 4 is very good and 5 is excellent.
The list doesnt include any of the players like Gibbs, Leuenberger etc. coz clearly they aren't gonna be there.  So here are the 14 names on the list- not in any order at all.

Daniel O'Keefe, Clinton Benjamin, Nathan Brown, Daniel Connors, James Hawksley,  Ben Reid, Tim Houlihan, Jarryd Allan, Jarryd Morton, Will Schofield, Todd Goldstein, Ryan Anderson, David MacKay and Alex Lee.

From what I've read about them, I would be very happy with Connors or O'Keefe at pick 13.

http://www.thedrafter.net/articles/articles.asp?ad_id=46
DANIEL CONNORS

Position: Midfield
D.O.B.: 22/9/1988
Club: Bendigo Pioneers/Echuca
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg

Echuca youngster Daniel Connors looks set to be snapped up in the first round of this year's AFL National Draft. The left-footed youngster has already drawn obvious comparisons to St Kilda star Nick Dal Santo who also plied his trade for the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup.

Connors strengths, like Dal Santo's, lie in his skills by hand and foot. He tested well in his speed, leap and agility at the Draft Camp and while not overly tall he is certainly strong overhead.

A prolific ball gatherer, Connors topped the Pioneers in average disposals in season 2006 with more than 22 per game. He finished the season with 14 games under his belt racking up 5 marks per game and averaging 4 tackles.

Daniel also enjoyed a superb National Under 18 Championships where he starred for Victoria Country and capped off a fine carnival with an All Australian selection on the wing. He also pulled in one of the marks of the championships. He capped off his carnival with an impressive six marks in extremely wet conditions in the final match.

While not a noted goal-kicker and prone to the occasional lapse in concentration Connors is certainly a prospect with almost limitless potential.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006, 07:20:55 PM »
DANIEL CONNORS

Position: Midfield
D.O.B.: 22/9/1988
Club: Bendigo Pioneers/Echuca
Height: 182cm
Weight: 77kg

The bold figure - 77kgs that worries me :help

Don't these lads ever go to McDonalds, KCf or the local Pizza shop  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006, 09:07:02 PM »
Connors would only need to find about 7 to 8 kgs over the next 2 years to be fine weight wise.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006, 10:22:47 PM »
The bold figure - 77kgs that worries me :help

Don't these lads ever go to McDonalds, KCf or the local Pizza shop  ;D

77kgs isn't too bad. One or two preseasons at the most in the gym should fairly easily get the weight and body strength up to AFL level. It's not a kid in the low 70s.

I don't know if there's any truth to this but I've heard AFL clubs prefer adding weight to a light kid than starting with a kid with puppy fat that he needs to lose. There's a young ruckman whose name I've forgotten who is something like 200cm tall but because he already weighs 100kg he might be overlooked in this draft.

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »
this is a boring time in footy....dont any of you blokes have the names of players from the club that we are looking at 13 and 26. thatll give us something to talk about or are we in  :shh mode still.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 11:04:18 PM »
this is a boring time in footy....dont any of you blokes have the names of players from the club that we are looking at 13 and 26. thatll give us something to talk about or are we in  :shh mode still.

After the first 6, every else if moving all over the place following the phantom drafts so who knows. A number of people now have Connors inside their top 10 for example. All we can assume is Miller must be confident the player we are after will be around at 13 which makes me slightly nervous as it might be a surprise choice  :-\. Seen Reid at 13 given he is a bottom age tall (196cm, 29/4/89) with supposedly plenty of upside. The idea being we picked up Polak for now to give Reid time to develop in 3-4 years time when we are hopefully challenging. Prefer us taking him at 26 if we do and going for the best available midfielder at 13.

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2006, 09:27:08 AM »

After the first 6, every else if moving all over the place following the phantom drafts so who knows. A number of people now have Connors inside their top 10 for example. All we can assume is Miller must be confident the player we are after will be around at 13 which makes me slightly nervous as it might be a surprise choice  :-\. Seen Reid at 13 given he is a bottom age tall (196cm, 29/4/89) with supposedly plenty of upside. The idea being we picked up Polak for now to give Reid time to develop in 3-4 years time when we are hopefully challenging. Prefer us taking him at 26 if we do and going for the best available midfielder at 13.

I'm certain that we won't take Reid at 13. For my money, it will be a mid, one of Proud, Armitage, Connors, Collard, Jetta, Boak or O'Keefe.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 02:19:59 PM »
I'm certain that we won't take Reid at 13. For my money, it will be a mid, one of Proud, Armitage, Connors, Collard, Jetta, Boak or O'Keefe.

I hope we don't take Jetta. We just delisted a short Rodan-type so no point using our first pick just replacing him.