Author Topic: Your Richmond Draft Predictions  (Read 4895 times)

Ramps

Your Richmond Draft Predictions
« on: October 27, 2006, 03:21:26 PM »
Seems like we will have atleast 4 picks maybe 5 at the national draft. This thread is aimed at predicting the RFC package- within reason. Its not meant to be like a phantom draft...just take some guesses thats all. For the sake of this thread you can have one or two alternatives at each pick although not compulsory. Youve all read the phantom drafts, youve read all the rubbish, now its time for us to create more rubbish lol. So heres mine

13. Daniel Connors TAC Cup- Very good midfielder- will be a good player others like Armitage, Houlihan and Benjamin in contention                     

26. James Hawksley WAFL- Good runner from WA- runs lines, good kick. A Richmond type.  I also rate Morton, N.Brown, Reid at this level as well.

58. Jackson Sheringham- TAC Cup- Half Back whos fallen right away in Phantom drafts- I rate the kid still- Nice pace, good disposal. Because your no longer popular on internet boards lol- doesnt mean you cant play. Will Schofield another who has a chance.

60. Ryan Anderson- TAC Cup- This will sound stupid but has a touch of Polos about him, I always remember with dean in his carnival- he was always able to find the footy- not pretty- but could find the footy. Anderson knows how to find the footy- well atleast at the carnival level anyway.

74. Pass

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:56:32 AM by Ramps »

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
Re: Your Richmond Draft Predictions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 03:28:29 PM »
Seems like we will have atleast 4 picks maybe 5 at the national draft. This thread is aimed at predicting the RFC package- within reason. Its not meant to be like a phantom draft...just take some guesses thats all. For the sake of this thread you can have one or two alternatives at each pick although not compulsory. Youve all read the phantom drafts, youve read all the rubbish, now its time for us to create more rubbish lol. So heres mine

13. Daniel Connors TAC Cup- Very good midfielder- will be a good player others like Armitage, Benjamin and Houli in contention                     

26. James Hawksley WAFL- Good runner from WA- runs lines, good kick. A Richmond type.  I also rate Morton at this level as well.

58. Jackson Sheringham- TAC Cup- Half Back whos fallen right away in Phantom drafts- I rate the kid still- Nice pace, good disposal. Because your no longer popular on internet boards lol- doesnt mean you cant play.

60. Ryan Anderson- TAC Cup- This will sound stupid but has a touch of Polos about him, I always remember with dean in his carnival- he was always able to find the footy- not pretty- but could find the footy. Anderson knows how to find the footy- well atleast at the carnival level anyway.

74. Pass

Except for Anderson I disagree.

Pick 13. Clayton Collard
Pick 26. Ben Reid
Pick 58. Nathan Brown or James Frawley
Pick 60. Rayn Anderson

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »

Except for Anderson I disagree.

Pick 13. Clayton Collard
Pick 26. Ben Reid
Pick 58. Nathan Brown or James Frawley
Pick 60. Rayn Anderson

God we just got rid of one Frawley....
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »
Best available with our first two picks.

13. Armitage or Collard.
I hope we don't go for another lanky receiver or a speculative kid with our first pick. I can see Plough being interested in Benjamin. Whoever it is we'll get told by the Club that we would have picked him up at 8 anyway  ;).

26. Reid, Hawksley or Mourish.

58. Shane Edwards (South Aussie we apparently rate highly on talent but he's very light on)

60. Joe Anderson, Nathan Batsanis or Gavin Grose (young Queensland key defender).

74. Pass.

PSD: Kingsley if still around or a TAC Cup kid.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 01:48:11 PM »
My guestimates:

13 - Collard or Connors

26 - D.O'Keefe or Schmidt

58 - Frawley or Tom Collier

60 - S.Edwards or Prismall

74 - Pass or Kingsley

Offline Limbach_19

• Future Richmond star
  • Leroy Jetta
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 02:52:47 PM »
James Frawley will be gone by pick 58/60 IMO. To bad we traded away our 3rd round pick because IMO James will be a very good defender. With our first pick i would go for Clayton Collard, Daniel Connors or Tom Hislop(Very unlikely that we would go for Hislop, he isnt our type). Armitage will be gone before our first pick IMO.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 08:31:23 PM »
Armitage will be gone before our first pick IMO.

There were rumours a few weeks ago that Brisbane would pick Armitage up as early as pick 4 but you'd think the top 6 names in most phantom drafts would go first. Then again there's usually a surprise like the Hawks picking Roughead at 2 and the Pies last year with Thomas and Pendlebury at 2 and 5.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 02:30:16 AM »
Weaver has done his annual phantom draft on BF - Link. Here are his Richmond picks and summary of each:

13. Travis Boak (Richmond) - If there is an early run on big blokes Richmond might be in a position to pick the eyes out of the runners. Boak is a classy outside guy who knows where the goals are, has some toe and loves to carry the footy. Is genuinely classy and has match-changing ability. Expect Richmond to go for a pacy midfielder, tough to know which – perhaps Edwards or Houlihan over Boak. Boak has the edge in class and has been on the radar since under-16 days.

26. James Hawksley (Richmond) – Hawksley is at the moment a lightly-built back-pocket but will develop into a utility winger/defender. The Richmond game plan will be based on rebound from defence and they need defenders like Craig Bolton and Tadgh Kennelly who can play tall but run and kick.

58. Will Schofield (Richmond) – Lightly built key defender who showed an ability to step out onto the wing and use his pace and running ability to good effect. Would bulk up and become an AFL fullback. Good leap and has great spoiling technique. More school footy than TAC Cup has kept his profile low, but is perhaps the best pure-spoiler in the draft.

60. Rhys Magin (Richmond) – Young wingman. Very good pace and running ability. Extremely light and would need a lot of patience. Richmond has had a lot of success with the very similar Andrew Raines and might be willing to repeat the exercise if they elect to use this pick.

74. David MacKay (Richmond) – Lightly framed and although quick on the running track tends to steady himself and play a lower tempo style. Needs more intensity. Exceptional vision and good kicking skills makes him dangerous even with low possession totals. Will be in the mix for teams looking to develop a highly skilled winger.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 01:07:04 PM »
I know you should alwaystake the best available player with your first pick (that's what I reckon anyway ;)) and I always enjoy Weaver's views but I think that list is a tad worrying.

All sound like pace, pace and more pace and they all are "light on" - the pace I can live with but the "light on" worries me :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »
I know you should alwaystake the best available player with your first pick (that's what I reckon anyway ;)) and I always enjoy Weaver's views but I think that list is a tad worrying.

All sound like pace, pace and more pace and they all are "light on" - the pace I can live with but the "light on" worries me :help
i agree
i dont know who this weaver guy is or who he thinks he is but he sounds like a clown to me.

so what he reckons is in thi sdraft w eshould pick 5 lightly built outside players

WRONG

we need tough players, and KPP's we have an abundance of light framed outside players and we dont need anymore aaron fionas

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 01:45:53 PM »
Weaver's draft order is usually out because he just doesn't list the best youngsters in order from 1 to 80 but also tries to read what each club is thinking in terms of needs, gameplan and what risks they will take. Not a criticism as no phantom draft gets it right and at least Weaver provides his own original reasons and summaries for his choices and they are a good read.

His choices for us are based around Plough's run and carry all over the ground gameplan. In 2004 Pattison was just a "maybe" late pick-up in his phantom draft with no mention of Richmond going after him and yet we picked Patto up at 16. On the other hand he had Meyer going at 13 and we got him at 12. So Weaver has his hits and misses. 

I agree it would be a major concern if we went for 5 similar players that are quick and light in one draft.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 01:48:39 PM »
I had a look at his full predicition, plus his recent year predictions, and he hasn't really been that close.

He put a bit of work into it though. F**ked if I could be bothered doing that.  
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 02:35:16 PM »
Have to agree MT, not a pot on Weaver but in the ones I've seen he has got very few right.

The only Tigers ones that have been right have been Tom Roach (given, but interesting what he said about that one) and Lids.

His Mock is a great read though and gives a liitle insight to those with no idea (me  :help).

Interesting to see his 2003/2004 list top 25's and just the number I've never heard of since those drafts

2003- Billy Morrison, William Gayfer, Brent Hall, Tim Schmidt, Ben Cosgriff
2004- Thomas Murphy, Thomas Redden, Adam Hartlett, Alan Toovey

Gordon Bennett

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 04:32:54 PM »

Interesting to see his 2003/2004 list top 25's and just the number I've never heard of since those drafts

2003- Billy Morrison, William Gayfer, Brent Hall, Tim Schmidt, Ben Cosgriff
2004- Thomas Murphy, Thomas Redden, Adam Hartlett, Alan Toovey
Hall just delisted, Schmidt still at swans (where it is hard for youngsters to get a game), Murphy getting games for Hawthorn,Hartlett still with Carlton, Toovey a rookie at pies, and redden may be a rookie at port?

Weaver also said that Andrew Raines was a waste of a pick and would never play a game, after he was drafted.

To be fair to Weaver, you could look at anyone's mock drafts over the years and say the same thing.No one gets it right. He at least has the guts to put up his old ones for public scrutiny. In my opinion, he is worthy of respect,researches well, and is sound in his analysis.He's an original thinker, yet sometimes a little too "out there". I rate him highly, but I don't agree with everything he does.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 04:44:26 PM »
Murphy is doing the best out of those names at Hawthorn. In their best 22.

To be fair to Weaver, you could look at anyone's mock drafts over the years and say the same thing.No one gets it right. He at least has the guts to put up his old ones for public scrutiny. In my opinion, he is worthy of respect,researches well, and is sound in his analysis.He's an original thinker, yet sometimes a little too "out there". I rate him highly, but I don't agree with everything he does.

I think that's the best description of Weaver GB.