Author Topic: Schulz wins round 14 Rising Star nomination  (Read 2242 times)

Bulluss

Schulz wins round 14 Rising Star nomination
« on: July 06, 2004, 11:13:05 AM »
Richmond's Jay Schulz is the round 14 nominee for the National's AFL Rising Star Award.

The 19 year old earned rave reviews for his six-goal haul for Richmond against reigning premiers Brisbane at the Gabba last Saturday night.

He was playing at full-forward in relief of the injured Matthew Richardson and took four contested marks against Justin Leppitsch, Daniel Bradshaw and Mal Michael. Four of his six goals came in the third quarter.

Schultz was Richmond’s first selection in the 2002 National’s AFL Draft (12th overall). He played five games in 2003, and has played every game since round six for a total of 16 senior games.

Originally from South Australia, he was drafted by Woodville-West Torrens.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=158487

Froars will be happy we have our first rising star in about 2 years i think

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Schulz wins round 14 Rising Star nomination
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 11:37:37 AM »
Well done Jay.

Just keep hitting the packs aggressively like you have been and there is no reason you won't be a good player for us.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 12:30:45 PM »
A well deserved nomination for Jay.  Six goals is a fair effort against any opposition, even more impressive when it's against Brisbane.

As long as the young players are given the opportunity to show what they can do then no one is left wondering.

Will be good to see how Jay and all the young players go with some experience behind them and greater confidence.

Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:50:46 PM »
I must remember to label the tape I am sending Terry Wallace "A rising star performance"  ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 02:34:47 PM »
Well deserved!

Jay was a standout from the start why he wasnt given game time is a mystery.

His physical ability is enormous lets hope Terry has changed his opinion if he does take over coaching duties.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 03:01:26 PM »
Jay was a standout from the start why he wasnt given game time is a mystery.

Well said Disco.

It's amazing what happens when you suddenly show faith in a young player. They have no fear or fear of reputations and just give their all. Add a bit of talent and natural aggression to that mix and you have Jay. Unfortunately for Danny and the rest of the coaching staff, only now when they are going did they realise this.

An email to Terry might be in order  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 03:46:17 PM »
Onya Schultzy, well done.
And about time too might i add.
If Danny had listened to us earlier, and played more kids, we may have had more nominations.
BTW, anyone know how Hartigan's going in the 2s?
I think his dad played for the Bombers, so might be a good opportunity for him to fire this weekend and get our second nomination for the year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 05:13:39 PM »
That's right froars. His dad, Dean, played for the bombers (I think it was in the 70's). WP would have a better idea on how Brent went on the weekend for Coburg but I heard he had a quiet one.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 01:40:25 PM »
Schulz lives out fantasy
7 July 2004   Herald Sun
Michael Horan

WHEN Jay Schulz was a nipper he often dreamed of kicking a bag of goals in a Brisbane game.

The fantasy came true for the 19-year-old forward at the Gabba last weekend, but he was playing against the Brisbane Lions, not for them.

Schulz, this week's National Rising star nomination, stood tall for Richmond when he kicked six goals at full-forward as a replacement for Matthew Richardson.

The South Australian had kicked just one goal from 10 previous AFL games.

"I was given the opportunity by the coaches. They've stuck with me through some tough times and I'm thankful for that. Without Richo being there, I knew I really had to have a crack," Schulz said before training at Punt Rd yesterday.

The 193cm Schulz was the Tigers' first pick and 12th overall in the 2002 draft, but after arriving at Tigerland with a dose of osteitis pubis, he didn't have a decent pre-season until this year.

A leading forward rather than a one-on-one body-up type, Schulz booted 6.1 as Richmond scared the life out of the Lions before eventually going down by only 18 points.

"They've put a lot of time into me so far and I really do feel the need to be giving a bit back to the club," Schulz said.
"I'm starting to read the game a bit better now. I feel more comfortable and the boys are sensational around me -- the senior fellows like Greg Stafford and Brad Ottens. They're fellows I really look up to and they've given me a lot of confidence. I've learnt a lot from Richo as well.

"It's great to play against Brisbane, they're a sensational side and I did barrack for them as a young fella, so it's good to play against the best and play well."

With Richardson back this week, the Tigers seem certain to plonk Schulz beside the resident star in a dual-pronged forward assault on Essendon at the MCG on Saturday.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10065975%255E19742,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.