Author Topic: Tigers may go for youth in draft over Kingsley (The Age)  (Read 1523 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers may go for youth in draft over Kingsley (The Age)
« on: November 17, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »
Tigers may go for youth in draft over Kingsley
Jake Niall
The Age
November 17, 2006

KENT Kingsley's chances of resurrecting his career at Tigerland will rest on the quality of next week's national draft.

Kingsley, the former Geelong full-forward who is training at Punt Road Oval, will be taken by the Tigers only in the event that they assess him to better value than the remaining untried teenagers late in the draft.

"It will depend on the depth of the national draft," said Richmond football director Greg Miller, who oversees the club's recruiting. "I'm very open about the national draft. If there's a good player there at our last choice, we'll take 'em. We're not going to save a spot. But if it happens, it happens.

"We'll see how he trains the next four or five weeks and see where he fits in. But our first priority, very clearly and quite honestly, is the national draft. And if it gets to our last choice and there's a player there we think is good enough, we'll take the kid. If there's not, if all our good players are gone, and there's choices left, then we'll start looking at Kingsley and we've told him that. He knows where we stand."

Richmond has six selections in the national draft. Miller said if the club wanted Kingsley, it probably would select him in the pre-season draft. The club's first two selections are at Nos. 13 and 26, having already acquired Graham Polak from Fremantle.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/11/16/1163266713568.html

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tigers may go for youth in draft over Kingsley (The Age)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 01:03:21 PM »
I still reckon we are a strong show to take Kingsley.

The question as I see it is: do you commit for 2 years to a kid that may not make it when you may have the option of rookie listing him and instead take a experienced player for 1 year at a cheap rate for insurance
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 03:19:18 PM »
I can't see us picking up a kid at 90. The probably of success with such a late pick must be negligible. The perfect scenario would be to pick up Kingsley then. Pick 74 you've still got a slim chance as we found out with Rainsey. With McRae on board we might be able to find another underrated Queenslander or two.

Are we still able to move either Richo or Gas back as inside vets if need be? That would then give us the flexibility to pick up a youngster as either a draftee or rookie like we did with Matty White last year.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 02:50:01 PM »
Sounds like it makes sense to draft an experienced player ahead of a younger, more speculative pick.  Not sure that’s a good enough reason to draft unfulfilled talent and have their traits and what not permeate through our club though.  Like we need that kind of influence around the place, especially with such a young list.

Recruiting stop gap measures may have the advantage of taking some of the workload from younger bodies, but even though Kingsley might be experienced and can kick goals, he’s been let go by his former club for a reason.  If we’re trying to build a winning culture then I’m not sure what we hope to gain out of drafting this type of player, other than false hope.

If things go well then it can serve to make people think the team is further advanced than it actually is.  But younger players can only develop and gain experience by playing games.  And where’s the long term benefit in recruiting a mature player, and why do we continually want another club’s off-cuts, unless they bring something more meaningful than inconsistency with them?  If they have knowledge to offer and/or have played in premierships and can teach our players about team values and the level of intensity needed to win big pressure games then go right on ahead.  Otherwise, by recruiting this type, we’re just taking one step forward and two steps back, because there’s rarely any long lasting benefits from short term fixes.  RFC should know that better than most other clubs.

If we go down this track then is RFC more interested in building a team or in creating the illusion of improvement, if things don’t go according to plan?  Apart from anything else, if not managed properly, this type of recruiting can put the brakes on the development and overall improvement the team has shown to now.

Injuries weren’t kind to us this year, but they created opportunities for other players.  Just my opinion but, the gold for any coach would be to see how well players cope in adversity, rather than providing a safety net, like Kent Kingsley, to come in and perhaps halt the potential for that to happen.  Go the long way round RFC.  It’s quicker that way, and more rewarding.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:36:49 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 09:30:18 PM »
Yep we don't want Geelong's culture lol  :thumbsup [waves at Otto  ;D ].

The way Miller was talking last week, Kingsley is going to have to earn his place training with us and there's no guarantee even then that there'll be a spot for him if a kid we are interested in is still around when it's our pick.

I have nothing to back this up I still think we'll pick him up with a late pick on Saturday.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 09:42:41 PM »
I think Miller was just softening the blow for when we draft him.  Would be more surprised if we don’t select him somewhere along the line.  :banghead :banghead

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 09:57:50 PM »
Not a fan of Kingsley TS?! lol

I can see the word "DUD" being used next year with a couple of our new recruits  :yep.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:17:33 PM »
Just not a fan of those who have had the opportunity to play at the highest level and have spent season after season doing nothing with that opportunity, MT.

Not sure why RFC feels the need to go rescue them.  I expect they need a challenge they don’t already have.  :banghead

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 12:23:25 AM »
Honestly KK would be a waste on our list.

Richo and KK will be gone by the end of 2008 and we will only further stall the development of guys like Schulz & Hughes up forward. :banghead

I'd much rather get two years into a speculative youngster than waste time on a 29yr old one dimensional, has been FF who couldn't get a senior game in a struggling side that was screaming out for a decent target!

He is a dud of the highest order who will more likely $#@* up our forward line rather than add anything to it.

This is not another P Bowden situation. B2 was coming into his prime football years. KK left his a while back.
If we do this we will regret the missed opportunity to try and develop another youngster and potential star of the Richmond Football club.

If we were in a position to push for a premiership next season then Ii'd be for it but we are not!!
Develop the kids and cease persisting with the shortsighted stopgap measures. The most exciting names at the the RFC are all youngsters.

Experience generation next. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 07:29:47 PM »
According to SEN, Kingsley hasn't nominated for the National draft on Saturday.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 04:53:40 PM »
According to the Mercury in Tassie, Kingsley will be looking elsewhere.

Richmond recruited three forwards among their five draft selections on Saturday.

That's likely to ensure much-maligned ex-Geelong forward Kent Kingsley, who has been training with the club, will have to look elsewhere in next month's pre-season draft.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,20825047-13222,00.html