Author Topic: Just one week to go  (Read 2167 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Just one week to go
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:41:09 AM »
Yep next Saturday is D-Day. A lot of pressure on all clubs with such a allegedly strong and deep draft but it feels as if this is especially a moment in time one for us. If Miller, Francis Jackson and Wallace get this draft right (with Polak coming good also), we will have a strong list in 2-3 years time with most of the more senior blokes still around and heaps of talented youngsters to sort through  :pray.       
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Gordon Bennett

Re: Just one week to go
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 05:04:43 PM »
I'm finding it interesting the way some guys are yo-yo'ing up and down in the estimation of experts,whether they be "armchair" or real.

No matches have been played, nor testing done, for quite awhile, but players can still gain or lose favour among the draft-watching rat-pack. Jetta was highly favoured a while back, then he dropped a fair bit, now he seems to be getting warmer again. Travis Boak has seemingly risen in favour in the last week, while Connors and Collard have dropped in some people's eyes.Opinions on O'Keefe, Renouf and Krakeour vary markedly.

I'm just hoping lady luck smiles on Miller and co, and we get the guys we're after. Hurry up saturday!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:29:17 PM »
Agree GB. You'd assume the recruiters would have heaps of stats on these guys but for the rest of us the lack of basic footy stats on the net makes it hard to judge unless you've regularly seen these kids play. Only the TAC Cup kids have any useful stats like average disposals, kicking efficiency, etc.

IMO the young guys who are very short or very light will go later than predicted in many phantom drafts. Jetta at 5 and Krakouer at 15  :o are big risks going so early given what else is out there. There's also a few who have suffered from OP and other injuries :-\. I just hope we don't go for some speculative pick at 13 and just pick best available.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
Teams would know who they are going to to take especially with their first pick (unless of course you are Freo - when is their 1st pick again ;) ;D).

As long as we take the best available with 13 that's all that matters.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 02:45:43 PM »
Yep next Saturday is D-Day. A lot of pressure on all clubs with such a allegedly strong and deep draft but it feels as if this is especially a moment in time one for us. If Miller, Francis Jackson and Wallace get this draft right (with Polak coming good also), we will have a strong list in 2-3 years time with most of the more senior blokes still around and heaps of talented youngsters to sort through :pray.

For me, I think the footy world is a bit obsessed with picking the ‘right’ players.  Rather than being worried about whether we recruit the right players, I’m more obsessed about the club’s ability to develop and successfully integrate draftees into the team.

Realistically, do clubs need to pick the right players, or just know how to develop the players they recruit?  Interesting question, I suppose, and it’s funny how the Swans try to convince everyone that they don’t have the most talented list, yet seem to play finals more often than not.  So do they always choose the ‘right’ players or just have a knack of getting the best out of the players they recruit?

To me, the mistake clubs make isn’t necessarily that they make a wrong selection, because players don’t lose their ability, it’s generally either that a player wasn’t focused enough on a league career and/or became distracted, or his club just didn’t put enough time into him, for whatever reason.

Sure clubs have to be patient with players, some more than others, but if clubs do their home work on players properly, and then put time into them then most other things should look after themselves.  So there shouldn’t be any great need for regrets down the track.

There’s a risk involved in recruiting young players, because no one really knows how their careers will unfold, but the risk can be reduced by a club’s ability to help them develop through their careers.  How many years did Kayne Pettifer struggle, perhaps unnecessarily, before he got his career going, and why did it need to take so long?  Maybe he just needed enough time to wake up to himself, and maybe, like any player, he just needed someone to show some real faith in him and help build his confidence.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:49:45 PM »
All that you've said TS I agree with but there are risks and risks if you know what I mean when it comes to drafting. Going for a highly speculative choice, like Alex Gilmour was, with a high pick is a massive and IMO unnecessary risk. Why pass on a kid who looks like becoming a decent AFL player because there's a small chance another may become a superstar based simply on him being bottom-aged compared to his peers and may have a greater upside. Likewise a kid through no fault of his own may not have the size to make it at AFL level despite being a top junior footballer. Rodan is/was the perfect example of this. Just too short for modern AFL footy.

If you pick these kids late in the draft and they don't come on then so be it. The odd one may surprise like Rainesy. But to risk your best picks just kills you in the long run.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 09:35:33 PM »
See your frustration MT.  Not sure I understand some of the selections made at times either.  Would like to think clubs adopt something a bit more advanced than a ‘hit and miss’ approach to recruiting.

No doubt there’s always a good reason behind them, even if they don’t make sense to us.  Like a lot of other things that go on, there’s not a long we can do about them, except hope that clubs do their home work on players, and can give them a reasonable opportunity at an AFL career, so there aren’t too many disappointments down the track.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 09:53:47 PM »
That's true TS. There's always some risk so as you've said all we can basically hope for is the Club has done its homework on each youngster, plays the percentages come draft day and then does its best to help each draftee develop into the best footballer they can be. Not every one will make it but if most do then the coaching and recruiting staff are doing their job properly.

Ramps

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 10:26:31 PM »
Wheres Jacko he probably knows who the 4 or 5 players are vying for the spots at 13 and 26. Spill your guts Jacko! :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 07:08:58 PM »
Wheres Jacko he probably knows who the 4 or 5 players are vying for the spots at 13 and 26. Spill your guts Jacko! :lol

Ask the bloke(s) who nicked Miller's computer lol :whistle.

Mentioned this in another thread but one or two 6' 2" - 6' 3" running types will be on Plough's shopping list going by our last two drafts when we picked up Lids, Tambling, JON and Casserly. Guys like ....
James Hawksley (Peel Thunder) (5/02/89) – 187cm/72kgs
Clinton Benjamin (Claremont) (27/07/88) – 188cm/81kgs
Jarryd Morton (Claremont) (5/10/88) – 190cm/80kgs
Carl Peterson (Claremont) (19yrs) - 188cm/80kgs
Tim Houlihan (North Ballarat Rebels) (10/02/89) – 189cm/74kgs 
Gavin Urquhart (Morningside) (15/08/88) – 186cm/78kgs
Joe Anderson (Darwin) (24/12/88) – 188cm/81kgs