Author Topic: Daniel Connors [merged]  (Read 50738 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 58: Daniel Connors
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »
Yes Gordon being described as a Natural Footballer rather than an athlete, which IMO is not a bad thing. Give me a footballer over an athlete 9 times out of 10.

Give me a footballer who's an athlete as welll (like Lids) and I;d be ecstatic :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:18:37 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2006, 03:56:09 PM »
rumour has it that in some of his speed testing at the camp he was taking of on the wrong foot, If its right then its safe to assume that his tests would have been much better.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pic of Daniel Connors
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2006, 06:27:16 PM »
Here's a pic of Connors from gettyimages:

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2006, 07:40:15 PM »
Nothing wrong with an attitude problem that a good whack in the ear couldn't fix ;)
That's the Mopsy way :thumbsup

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 07:45:19 PM »
 :gobdrop       OMFG            :gobdrop

How the hell did Connors slip through to our pick. Absolutely no complaints from me  :thumbsup

Absolute steal at 58.

Connors can play inside, outside, and the highlights package of Connors on Channel Ten's review of the draft is just a taste of what this kid can do.

PS. I still can't get over the fact we got Connors at 58     :gobdrop

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2006, 08:16:25 PM »
and the highlights package of Connors on Channel Ten's review of the draft is just a taste of what this kid can do.

I still can't get over that vision. The stuff they showed was just freaky!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2006, 08:39:27 PM »
I've since read that there were concerns about his speed, having only been so-so in his testing at the draft camp, and this is one reason for his fall from favour. Miller thought that that the test results weren't a true reflection of what they'd seen in "live" play.

I'm wrapped we got him, especially at 58. He's creative, and his left foot is superb. He also sets up play with well-timed handball.

There were certainly concerns about his pace after draft camp. But those results were dodgy, must have been carrying some minor injury. You can forget them.

In reality Connors is very quick and elusive. Pace is sort of in between Thomas and M Murphy. But with much more intensity and purpose.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Connors relieved after nervous draft day (Bendigo Advertiser)
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 03:13:47 PM »
Connors relieved after nervous draft day
Bendigo Advertiser
Monday, 27 November 2006

NEW Richmond recruit Daniel Connors says he had to pinch himself on Saturday morning after hearing his name read out at the AFL National Draft.

The classy left-footed midfielder from the Bendigo Pioneers was taken at selection 58 by the Tigers.

'‘The draft started and it went for ages and I was thinking it wasn't looking too good for me, but all of a sudden I heard my name called out . . . I had to pinch myself after that," Connors said on Saturday afternoon on his way to a Richmond function.

‘‘I spoke to Terry Wallace (Richmond coach) and Greg Miller (director of football) on Saturday and they said they were excited to get me and were looking forward to the year ahead.

‘‘I would love to play at least one game next year, so that would be my goal." Connors stepped his game up this year after a relatively quiet 2005 TAC Cup season.

The 18-year-old from Echuca averaged 22.4 disposals for the Pioneers and was named in the TAC Cup team of the year, as well as the All-Australian team after the under-18 national championships in July.

He was named on the wing in both teams.

AFL talent Kevin Sheehan described Connors' three games at the national championships as top quality.

‘‘He had three back-to-back games that were top quality . . . his marking, his ball-winning ability through the midfield and his choices are very good," Sheehan said.

‘‘He is a youngster who has really come to the fore this year . . . he really took them on in the championships and put his name up there." Richmond director of football Greg Miller said the reason Connors was still available in round four was because of his slow running times at the draft camp.

‘‘Connors was a star at the (under-18) carnival, we rated him from there and we're rapt to get him," Miller said. '‘His running style needs a bit of attention, but the only reason he got through to (pick) 58 is his (slow) test results." Connors, who stands at 183 cm and weighs 78 kg, was one of two Bendigo Pioneer players selected by Richmond on Saturday, with the Tigers also taking Andrew Collins with pick 73.

‘‘I'm pretty happy that Andy is going down there as well," Collins said.

‘‘We will take each other under our wings and work together, so it will be good."

http://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=general&story_id=534569&category=General&m=11&y=2006

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 03:25:24 PM »
From the Bendigo Advertiser:

There had been big wraps on Connors after his stellar under-18 national championships in which he was named in the All-Australian side, while he was also named in the TAC Cup Team of the Year. Asked if he was surprised the 18-year-old from Echuca slipped through until the fourth round, Bendigo Pioneers coach Mark Ellis answered: ‘‘There was always talk that he might go in different parts of the draft, but I think it's irrelevant where a player goes because only one club can draft them," he said.

‘‘It doesn't matter to the player where he goes, as long as he is going to get an opportunity to play AFL footy, he won't care what number he goes at."

http://bendigo.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?class=sport&subclass=general&story_id=534563&category=General&m=11&y=2006

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 04:49:47 PM »
From the Riewoldt article in the Mercury:

The Tigers believe they have also got a bargain with left-footed midfielder Daniel Connors at No. 58.

There are queries over the Geelong youngster's pace, but the Tigers believe they can fix his running style and give him a taste of senior football in 2007.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,20825047-13222,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 03:19:36 AM »
DANIEL CONNORS: Draft pick No. 58
richmondfc.com.au

Recruited from: Bendigo Pioneers
Born: 22.9.88
Height: 183cm
Weight: 78kg

This highly-competitive youngster came under scrutiny from the Tigers before the TAC Cup season started. A winger who runs straight at the ball and has a number of ‘tricks’, which made him an attractive drafting proposition. Is a high possession winner, strong overhead, and has outstanding vision in congested areas. His constructive, long handball set up many scoring opportunities for the Pioneers during the season. He also has a very good sidestep, which he used to effect at TAC Cup level. An under-18 All-Australian representative this year and also was selected in the TAC Cup Team of the Year.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=2006draftees

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 03:44:18 AM »
A poster on Y&B called TigerTillIDie has put the Ch 10 footage of Connors on YouTube  :clapping.
The link to it is here:  http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showpost.php?p=73567&postcount=2

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 12:21:30 PM »
That pick-up on half back, side step and drilled pass made me soil my pants.

Slow?!
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 02:57:27 PM »
With the blondish hair he reminds me a bit of a young Browny.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 03:27:30 PM »

Slow?!

Certainly alot quicker than me :rollin

Looked good in that small bit of film
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)