Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar  (Read 4391 times)

Offline shano62

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 11:11:18 AM »
KEEP HIM no one will give us a round 1 pick .

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 11:14:41 AM »
On a more serious note - based on current form even if he was offered for trade I doubt very much anyone would take him. Forget the pay packet, because no matter what we'd have to pay at least part of it, on form alone I'd say we are stuck with him.

Yes Danny...hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. :'(

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 11:17:35 AM »
let's look at the positives - at least he wrote back :-\ :-[ :P :help

Good point WP.  :thumbsup :P

Have to laugh, about the only thing missing in his reply letter was, "so there, na na na na". :rollin

Classic stuff.  ::)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 12:47:21 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 02:53:36 PM »
On a more serious note - based on current form even if he was offered for trade I doubt very much anyone would take him. Forget the pay packet, because no matter what we'd have to pay at least part of it, on form alone I'd say we are stuck with him.

I agree WP. We're stuck with him for another year at the very least whether we like it or not.

There's no contractual obligation for Gas to take a paycut but I wonder if the Club will again ask him to take one given we are reducing our TPP to 97% of the salary cap. When is Gas eligible to be a Veteran? His 10th year at Richmond will be next year so does that make it 2006?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 05:12:30 PM »
Keep him and play him at coburg for the next 2-3 years.

stuff him around with his payment big time

Screw him like he's screwed us.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 11:45:19 AM »

Tell him to get a haircut.

I still cant figure out if he's modelling his look on Horshak or Mr Kotter himself

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 01:40:51 PM »
In fact, it was late in 2001, after Gaspar had earned all-Australian selection for the second successive year. Fremantle was trying to lure him home, with a $3 million carrot.

Richmond, high on the whiff of success that had suddenly overtaken the club, fought off his WA suitor with everything it had, including about $500,000 deducted from the pay of eight of his team-mates.

Richmond won this battle by paying Gaspar about $2.5 million over five years. Now, using a little hindsight to polish up the glasses, you would have to wonder whether it has lost out big time.

There’s no doubt the Club stuffed the re-negotiation of his contract.  Before the 2001 season had finished, Gas had said that he wanted to stay at Richmond.  Once negotiations got under way, after the season had ended, all of a sudden he's homesick.

Obviously his Manager/Agent got involved and the whole thing went pear shaped from there.  Gas could have nipped the whole thing in the bud and said he was happy to sign, but didn't, I guess.

All the Club had to do was to say to Gas, 'if you want to stay, sign here', under fair and reasonable terms for both parties, 'otherwise look for another club'.

Instead, it turned into the drama it never had to be. :banghead

This short-sighted, short-term based decision helped make a rod for Gas’ back, not to mention RFC’s, which many knew would happen, but they didn’t seem interested in listening to any of that.

Wonder if they’re interested now, or they probably couldn’t care less, because they’ve moved on to greener pasteurs and those left behind can deal with the fallout.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004, 01:58:44 PM »
Yep, approximately ten good games since the contract signing is not a very good ROI.  :banghead
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2004, 02:30:23 PM »
This might be common knowledge but I didn't know it. Browny on The Gospel on MMM today while chatting about Mad Monday (more like Sunday, Monday, Tuesday  ;) ) mentioned that when we play interstate Gas has to fly in by himself on the day of the game. He can't stay overnight with the rest of the team in a hotel with their carpeted floors due to his allergies to dust mites. Sheesh...how are meant to play a game after just being locked up in a plane for at least an hour and to Perth it is 3 hours!?  :o.

Browny also mentioned that Hartigan like on-field showed his more senior teammates a clean set of heals on Mad Monday. Bowden and Cambo were soft and went home early  ;).

Finally Browny interviewed some bloke as part of his quest to find a personal trainer from a company called "Brutal training". Their speciality is 1/2 hour straight medicine ball sit-ups  :gobdrop.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 04:04:56 PM »
This might be common knowledge but I didn't know it. Browny on The Gospel on MMM today while chatting about Mad Monday (more like Sunday, Monday, Tuesday  ;) ) mentioned that when we play interstate Gas has to fly in by himself on the day of the game. He can't stay overnight with the rest of the team in a hotel with their carpeted floors due to his allergies to dust mites.

Yeah I had heard this MT - it appears it started when he was in Sydney - kept getting crook when he went interstate - that's when they diagnosed the allergy.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)