Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar  (Read 4394 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:46:28 PM »
As the season is now about judging who stays or goes at the end of the year, I thought we might have a look at each player who's on a knife's edge and get opinions until the end of the season.

What should happen to Gas - stay or be traded - and why?

If he stays on, would doing a full pre-season over summer get him back to pre-knee reco standard or thereabouts?
If you reckon he should go, as he's still contracted for another 2 years, does he still have any trade value and if so what would/should we expect in return if we traded him? 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar

Re: Yeah or Neah - 2. Darren Gaspar
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:01:14 PM »
Wont play this week? :o
Lets just wait and see ;)

Ox

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 11:09:50 PM »
We must lose Dr Who! ;D

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 11:33:54 PM »
This is a hard one.

For the right trade, you just might take it, but with gasper comming off a knee reco and a bad year getting a quality trade may be difficult and we may end up on the wrong end of a mediocre deal.

About 90% of players comming back from knee reco's generally have pretty ordinary next years, Dean Soloman being the exception to the norm. Next season is going to be the real indicator as to how Gassper is going to measure up to the riggors of football since the reco.

This ones for the betting men, will he fully recover and be how he was and therefore we should keep him or will he never be the same again and while others think he may recover do we bluff and get the best deal that we can while we can, only those very close to gasper will truly know.

I say if we can get the trade we want then do it, otherwise keep for another year and hope for the best.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Jackstar

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 05:15:01 AM »
Dr Who = Neah
One less passenger this week  ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 08:26:01 AM »
First question is with his contract is he tradeable?

If someone offerd you a 1st round pick and agreed to take say 30% of his salary only (= $180k maybe a year) - you have to ask is that worth it?

I cannot see any team agreeing to take his entire contract - we'd have to pay some part of it. How much is the question.

Second question, will he get any of leap and speed back 12 months after his reco? This seems to be the unknown question.

I'd say if we are going to look at trading a highly paid player then Gaspar migth be the one.

Yeah - for the right deal, that's someone paying at least 50% of his contract. Neah if you cannot get that sought of deal
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 03:28:41 AM »
We won't get crap all for him I'm afraid. I say keep him, and keep him at Coburg until he earns a spot in the senior team. Hopefully he has a good year next year and we can ship him off then. Now is not the time to get rid of him as the hope for getting anything for him is very slim.

He may be too old to trade if we wait a year, but I think its our only hope. If he can't even get a game this year at Richmond given the rabble we are, other teams won't touch him with a barge pole.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 10:16:32 AM »
I agree with Johns assessment.
If either of the 2 WA clubs (or anyone else for that matter) want to trade for an ageing unskilled defender with dodgy knees and on bigger dollars than James Packer, then roll out the welcome mat.
It wont happen,so lets hope he trains hard over summer and has a better year next season and gives us SOME trade value when out of contract.Then clubs may not be so frightened of his lower wage demands a season later.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 10:30:51 AM »
I'm inclined to say keep, for the same reasons as Johnafon stated.  :P
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Gaspar once a prince, now a pauper
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 02:29:04 AM »
Gaspar once a prince, now a pauper
23 August 2004   
Herald Sun
Trevor Grant

IT'S the time of year when some AFL coaches start looking backwards and wondering what might have been.

Ah yes, the illuminating value of hindsight.

Richmond coach Danny Frawley called upon it yesterday when he said he might have changed his decision to stay until the end of the season if he knew his replacement would be appointed before he finished up.

"In hindsight, if I knew that was coming down the road, I might have looked at the other way," he said.

"Ideally it would have been great to see (Terry Wallace's appointment) happening after round 22. But it's all been done for the club. It's part of football. You move on."

Frawley might also have summoned a little hindsight as veteran defender Darren Gaspar sat glumly on the bench while Richmond attempted to avoid the ignominy of the wooden spoon yesterday.

Indeed, it seems like only yesterday Gaspar was commanding attention and money in quantities reserved for the superstars of the competition.

In fact, it was late in 2001, after Gaspar had earned all-Australian selection for the second successive year. Fremantle was trying to lure him home, with a $3 million carrot.

Richmond, high on the whiff of success that had suddenly overtaken the club, fought off his WA suitor with everything it had, including about $500,000 deducted from the pay of eight of his team-mates.

Richmond won this battle by paying Gaspar about $2.5 million over five years. Now, using a little hindsight to polish up the glasses, you would have to wonder whether it has lost out big time.

It's a conclusion that is hard to avoid watching Gaspar fumble and stumble his way through a supposedly critical match and end up being dragged out of the contest because he wasn't up to it.

Once he was the prince of full-backs; a sharp, brave, quick-witted, action-man whose preferred method of disposal of an opponent was asphyxiation, especially if you dared try to go one-on-one.

Not only could he shut off the air supply to a full-forward, he could launch counter-attacks with swift, devastating results. Today he is a pale imitation without the pace to keep up, let alone lead the challenge in the back half. There were times yesterday when, amid the frenetic, desperate whirl of battle, Gaspar, 28, looked like a little boy lost.

While others were on fast forward, he was playing in slow motion. He had very limited input yesterday. And in those contests in which he found himself involved, he was picked off so easily.

His reaction time was painfully slow, allowing handballs to be smothered and runs blocked in an instant.

He was so obviously out of his depth that Frawley was merely showing his merciful side by taking him out of the game for the last quarter. And after the game, the coach asked for a little bit of understanding for the defender who won the Tigers' best-and-fairest in 2001, the team's best year under Frawley.

Yet again he pointed out that Gaspar, who had major knee surgery after breaking down last season, was always going to struggle at times without the benefit of last summer's training program. "It's always going to take a pre-season to get back somewhere near his dual all-Australian form," he said.

"When Rob Harvey does a knee you can ease him back through the mid-field. Darren, unfortunately, because of his credits, is always going to play on the dominant forward in the opposition.

"I'm sure the strength in his knee will come back over the pre-season. Maybe we rushed him back a bit early and he lost a bit of confident. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

"I'm sure with a pre-season under his belt he'll be back to somewhere near his best.

"Whether he gets back to that who knows ?"

Naturally it's with the value of hindsight that all the hard questions are now being asked, as Richmond, under new coach Terry Wallace, contemplates the awkward fact that Gaspar still has two seasons to run on his contract.

Most pointedly, how on earth could they have signed him for five years ?

It's a decision which leaves the unpalatable prospect of having a struggling veteran, who's worth little on the market, commanding close to the highest pay-packet in the club.

Of course, at the time, the same people asking the question were lauding the club's initiative in keeping him.

While that may be true, it highlights the dangers of the "buy now, pay later" mentality which so often overtakes football administrators.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10534175%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 02:37:47 AM »
While that may be true, it highlights the dangers of the "buy now, pay later" mentality which so often overtakes football administrators.

Hello Mark Brayshaw!  :banghead

froars

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 06:54:03 AM »
I'm glad you said Mark Bradshaw and not Gasper MT.
They should have told Gasper to get on his bike if he was asking that much money, but they didn't - more fool the club for signing him.  And bad luck for Gas for doing his knee.

RonBranton

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 10:59:58 AM »

"Of course, at the time, the same people asking the question were lauding the club's initiative in keeping him"

I'm not sure about that - I wrote to the club at the time and expressed my concerns that we were about to pay him too much - let alone give him a 5 year contract. I don't know anybody who thought thas a good idea - except maybe a couple of directors.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 11:05:16 AM »
Hi RonBranton.  I wrote to the Club at the time, as well, and said the same thing.  But no, Brayshaw wrote back and said how delighted they were to have retained Darren.

Yeah, well I was too, just not at the price we paid.  And then Freo gets caught for being over the salary cap.  ::)

Nice work.  :-\  I hope we've woken up to these sorts of deals now, coz we just dudded ourselves in the past.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 11:08:50 AM »
  But no, Brayshaw wrote back and said how delighted they were to have retained Darren.

let's look at the positives - at least he wrote back  :-\ :-[ :P :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)