Author Topic: TV and radio commentary line-ups / Which radio station do you listen to for footy?  (Read 25358 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Have said it before, and will say it again.

The female commentator on 10 makes me cringe. Her voice gets lost in the crowd noise and she doesn't get me excited.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Yeah I don't like the female commentator either.  Just not right.  Leave it to the males.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
3aw may axe Rex Hunt (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 05:17:40 AM »
3aw may axe Rex Hunt
Tony Sheahan | August 30, 2009

REX Hunt is facing an uncertain future as radio station 3AW refuses to commit to its most high-profile caller and speculation mounts he may be ousted.

Station bosses said negotiations would start with Hunt after this year's AFL Grand Final.

But sources at Triple M said 3AW was attempting to poach its popular caller Brian Taylor.

Last night, Hunt said he would accept the station's decsion if he were axed.

"If the decision goes that way and Brian Taylor takes my place, 3AW will be in great hands," he said.

3AW general manager Shane Healy on Friday refused to say whether Hunt had a contract next year. Asked if Hunt was still wanted at the station, Mr Healy only said: "Oh yeah, I'd say so, yeah."

Ominously, he added: "We are looking at our ratings and our research, we are always interested to see how our audience is reacting to the team."

But he refused to speculate further, saying: "These stories have been around all season. Not just about Brian Taylor, but I've had a number of people talk to me about Anthony Hudson and Gerard Whateley -- you get a bit sick of it.

"All I've said to people all year, and it's a boring mantra . . . we will look at 2010 when 2009 finishes."

Triple M's football boss, Lee Simon, said: "Brian Taylor is a required member of the staff every day of the week."

In May, Hunt was ordered to complete 100 hours of community service after a road-rage attack on a cyclist.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25999703-661,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rex Hunt may leave 3AW for MMM (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »
Rex Hunt may leave 3AW after shock offer from Triple M
Jon Anderson | Herald Sun November 16, 2009 10:51PM

REX Hunt's 21-year stint as a footy caller for 3AW could be over after a shock offer from rival Triple M.

Hunt confirmed he had been approached by Triple M to head its Saturday afternoon show next year.

Who would you rather listen to? Have your say in the comments below

His future at 3AW has been under a cloud since he was offered a significantly reduced salary - said to be down from $500,000 to $100,000 - to call on Sundays only.

Brian Taylor is expected to move from Triple M to 3AW to call Friday night and Saturday afternoon games.

Triple M's offer to Hunt is for next year only as the FM station attempts to groom either Hamish McLachlan or Luke Darcy as its top caller.

The Triple M deal is said to be similar to what Hunt would earn at 3AW next year.

Dubbed the "Bearded Burbler" for his madcap commentary, Hunt has developed a legion of fans over the years.

He flew back to Melbourne on Monday night after a week of fishing off Darwin and is expected to meet 3AW management on Tuesday.

"I have enjoyed a long and fruitful relationship with 3AW, which has hopefully benefited both parties," Hunt said yesterday.

"And there have been times in the past year when I have considered retirement but I know I can still call, as evidenced by this year's grand final."

3AW general manager Shane Healy confirmed he would meet Hunt today.

"And Rex being a man of his word, I know he will give me an answer as to what he wants to do next season," Healy said.

Should Hunt join Triple M, it is believed he will call on Saturday afternoons alongside James Brayshaw, with McLachlan calling on Sundays and Darcy possibly on Friday nights.

Triple M general manager Ben Amarfio did not return calls yesterday.

The Hunt offer is a bid to lift Triple M ratings, which were poor this year.

Some commentators were surprised the station hasn't offered the role to breakfast host Eddie McGuire, though he already has a workload of five mornings and five evenings a week.

McGuire has never made any secret of his love for calling and spent this year with SEN. The unknown players in footy commentary at this stage are retired champions Matthew Richardson and Matthew Lloyd.

Both are likely to be on the airwaves next season, with 3AW and SEN the leading suitors. The ABC, which led the ratings this year, is likely to continue using current players as irregular panellists.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/rex-hunt-may-leave-3aw-after-shock-offer-from-triple-m/story-e6frf7jo-1225798376939

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
good stuff AW.

Finally something descent to listen to on Triple M rather than listening to BT and all those other fools go off on their own little tangents that they do every week.

They talk crap for 80% of the time and speak about footy for 20%
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Confirmed on Ch 10 news that Rex has quit 3AW and gone to MMM.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We can now listen to BT without having to hear Spud as well  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tim Lane quits ABC to join 3aw (Age)
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
Lane calls it quits on ABC to join rival
Caroline Wilson | November 21, 2009

FOOTBALL'S radio merry-go-round continued last night when Tim Lane, one of Australia's most respected sporting broadcasters, quit the ABC after more than 30 years, to join 3AW.

Lane has signed on with 3AW to call football each Sunday until the end of 2011, the duration of the current AFL broadcast agreement. He will call the 2010 grand final with the station's other big-name recruit, Brian Taylor.

Lane's decision to quit 774 ABC, where he has worked as a contracted caller for five years after joining Channel Ten in 2003, follows Taylor's move from Triple M to head up 3AW's football team, replacing Rex Hunt.

Hunt signed a one-year deal with Triple M earlier this week.

3AW's general manager Shane Healy last night described Lane's recruitment as a coup for the station. ''He brings enormous credibility to 3AW football,'' he told The Age. ''One of football's most respected commentators and callers has now joined the best football commentary team in the business and we are delighted.

''Tim has long been regarded as a doyen of football, cricket, Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games and he is someone any football broadcast would be thrilled to have on their team.''

Lane, a columnist with The Age and The Sunday Age, will call football on 3AW each Sunday with Tony Leonard. He will also work as a commentator with morning host Neil Mitchell outside the football season.

Hunt's move to Triple M raised industry eyebrows, given the widely held view that experienced caller Eddie McGuire would expand his new role at the station to include football. But Hunt is expected to vacate the position after a season, making way for former Western Bulldog Luke Darcy.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/lane-calls-it-quits-on-abc-to-join-rival/2009/11/21/1258219977379.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mick Malthouse and Matthew Lloyd will join 3AW's commentary team next season but their signings have led to the shock departure of Robert Walls after 15 years with the station.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/malthouse-lloyd-in-walls-out-20111014-1lpbc.html#ixzz1amGFfFrC

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Walls has joined SEN - reported in bith the HUN & Age this morning

Tony Shaw will only be doing Sunday twilight games on 3AW, although that's one game too many IMO; it is certainly an improvement  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Gigantor

surely SEN wouldnt out bid 3AW for robert walls...wallsy was about the only one on there i respected and Richo of course

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
surely SEN wouldnt out bid 3AW for robert walls...wallsy was about the only one on there i respected and Richo of course

Nope

it appears 3AW were bringing in Malthouse & Lloyd and offered Walls a reduced role. That's when SEN cam a knocking  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back again

Listen to 3AW , only because of Tony Leonard , best caller by far ! :gotigers