Author Topic: TV and radio commentary line-ups / Which radio station do you listen to for footy?  (Read 25365 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Michael Voss in,
Cometti on board
09 December 2006   Herald-Sun
Jon Anderson

WITH Channels 7 and 10 increasingly likely to telecast all eight games each weekend in 2007, the networks are pencilling in their commentary teams.

Channel 10 general manager of sport David White yesterday said his network was going ahead with business in the belief that Foxtel would not be involved.

"Forget all the rubbish that's been spoken, I haven't heard from them (Foxtel) so they musn't be interested," White said.

"We've booked everything and are telecasting four games each weekend next year."

The channel's biggest recruit for its commentary team is likely to be retired Brisbane Lions captain Michael Voss, who will fill the experts' commentary chair vacated by Stephen Silvagni.

Voss, who has not yet signed a contract, heads a quality field for the role that includes Wayne Campbell, Alastair Lynch and Jarrod Molloy.

And Seven's Melbourne chief executive Ian Johnson yesterday confirmed that Dennis Cometti would join Bruce McAvaney to call Friday night games for the network.

"I'm delighted. I've worked with Bruce many times over the years and thoroughly enjoy calling with him," Cometti, 56, said from Perth last night.

"I will be dedicating my energies to Seven on Friday night and one other game (probably Sunday) because I've taken a step back in other areas. I'm not getting any younger."

Cometti's duties with Seven will also include the Beijing Olympics, where he's likely to call the swimming.

Johnson also confirmed Seven would produce a Monday night football program along the lines of Talking Footy.

Joining Cometti and McAvaney on their Melbourne calling team will be two of Brian Taylor, Clinton Grybas or Dwayne Russell.

"We are speaking to those three to find out what their radio commitments are. In Perth, Basil Zempilas will call and in Adelaide we have Chris Dittmar.

"We have been waiting for the agreement to be finalised so we can book OB (outside broadcast) vans. They need to be booked three months in advance."

As for the four days when Seven will have a clash between football and V8 Supercar commitments on Sundays, football will take precedence and the starting time of the motor racing will be changed.

In radio footy news, Rex Hunt, who is out of contract on New Year's Eve, met 3AW executives yesterday to discuss his long-term future.

Hunt is keen to continue calling football at 3AW after a successful 2006, but wants his football team from this season unchanged.

Does that mean he isn't keen on pairing up again with his old sparring partner and friend Sam Newman? "That's between management and I," Hunt said yesterday.

And Triple M has re-signed expert comments man Jason Dunstall.

New player SEN is believed to have spoken with axed Triple M caller Stephen Quartermain and Channel 10's Tim Lane regarding calling duties next year.

Quartermain's problem would be availability on Saturdays and Sundays given Channel 10 will require its callers to double up next year when they add Sundays to their schedule.

Anthony Hudson will call for SEN on Friday nights with Kevin Bartlett.

Nathan Buckley and James Hird are two names suggested for expert commentary when match duties allow, while ex-Triple M comments man Newman has been discussed.

Anthony Mithen, who recently departed the breakfast shift he co-hosted with Michael Christian at Sport 927, is another calling possibility.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20896587%255E20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Cambo the footy commentator
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:21:18 AM »
Voss, who has not yet signed a contract, heads a quality field for the role that includes [color]Wayne Campbell[/color], Alastair Lynch and Jarrod Molloy.

About time we had some Richmond commentary bias  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: TV and radio commentary line-ups
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:47:06 AM »
CHANNEL 7 has locked in next year's Friday night commentary team.

It is believed David Schwarz will join Bruce McAvaney, Dennis Cometti and Tim Watson in the box.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20930033%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:07:19 AM »
Ch 10 special comments line-up:

Voss will call one or two games, joining a special comments line-up led by Robert Walls, Malcolm Blight and Western Bulldog Luke Darcy.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/12/18/1166290477715.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
TV commentary line-ups finalised
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 03:37:22 AM »
The line-ups for Channel 10, Channel 7 and Fox.

CHANNEL 10

Robert Walls
Stephen Quartermain
Anthony Hudson
Tim Lane
Malcolm Blight
Michael Voss
Michael Christian

CHANNEL 7

Bruce McAvaney
Dennis Cometti
Tim Watson
David Schwarz
Chris Dittmar (SA)
Chris McDermott (SA)
Basil Zempilas (WA)

FOX

AFL commentators Jason Dunstall and Clinton Grybas will head Fox Sports' new-look AFL coverage.

Possibles include Gerard Healy, Brian Taylor, Dwayne Russell, Kevin Bartlett, Tony Shaw, Jason Bennett, Matt Campbell, Matthew Primus (SA).

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21196878-11088,00.html
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21201241-11088,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: TV and radio commentary line-ups - Spud on Fox Sports lol
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:49:42 AM »
Spud is doing special commentary for Fox Sports. Apparently his first game is the Dees vs Hawks this weekend.

Fox Sports has finalised their commentators with Clinton Grybas, Gerard Healy, Jason Dunstall and wikipedia's Dwayne Russell lol to head the coverage.

Fox Sports is opting for one play-by-play caller only, supported by two special comments callers.

Insiders suggest Fox Sports will use the pre-season coverage to test a number of new callers, including recently retired players Alastair Lynch, Glenn Jakovich, Rohan Smith and Leigh Colbert and former Richmond coach, Danny Frawley. Plus Liam Pickering, David Parkin, and Tony Shaw.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21264973-2722,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 12:01:36 AM »
Did anyone else who saw the game tonight on tv think Bruce was flat in his calling and didn't have the usual enthusiasm even if it was just a NAB Cup game?

We turned the sound down and switched on SEN's call with Anthony Hudson and Dermie and they were pretty good.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 02:26:12 PM »
I thought it was a bit boring, maybe because it was just the NAB cub?  :-\
I watched the first half, then was flicking between that and Charlie's Angels  :lol
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Which radio station do you listen to for footy?
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:37:47 AM »
3AW drops the ball with ratings
20 June 2007   Herald-Sun
Michael Horan

RADIO 3AW's long-standing dominance of football broadcasting is over after it took a belting in ratings released yesterday.

Figures yesterday revealed the ABC was the clear winner in three of the four football timeslots.

Triple M won the other timeslot, while 3AW -- No. 1 across the board this time last year -- had slipped to third in every slot.

Since the departure of Hutchison and Sam Newman from Triple M, the station has risen to seize No. 1 in the coveted Saturday market with its preview, call and review on the back of its 2007 team, fronted by Garry Lyon, James Brayshaw and Brian Taylor. The ABC and Triple M rate one-two across the board.

The new player in weekend football coverage, SEN, has had no impact, with a miniscule market share.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21935571%255E19742,00.html

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Which radio station do you listen to for footy?
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »

The new player in weekend football coverage, SEN, has had no impact, with a miniscule market share.

That amazes me - they are good. Rex is impossible to listen to once the game starts but their pre-game is the best imho.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 05:00:26 PM »
I listened to NIRS during the Dreamtime game as I had enough of 3AW.  Real eye-opener.  Took awhile to register what NIRS stood for.  It wasn't until the ad where the guy asks his sister something about her Centrelink payments (true, not a lie) that I began to wonder and then you here this voice saying "National Indigenous Radio Station". 

As Oxx and JohnF would say - ROFL. :rollin

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »
sen aw mmm - dont really care, just want to check scores best players for tipping dreamteams etc ...
I must admit though I am one of the few that will admitt I find Rex amusing when I do listen ....
Richmond allways there or watching - so I do not remember last time I caught them on the radio.
Allways meant to try that trick of watching and listening to a radio broadcast, just never happened .

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »
anything but triple M, cannot stand Gary Lyon

Bulluss

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 08:40:01 PM »
I love listening to Triple M, i think they have a great team who joke around make their broadcast entertaining. I actually like Gary Lyon on the radio.

Dont think you can beat the calling combo of JB and the bristle man BT.

Most entertaining callers to have called the game IMO. :thumbsup

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 08:44:05 PM »
Prefer Rex Hunt's crazy antics on 3AW