Author Topic: OER Music project  (Read 4440 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
OER Music project
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:47:59 PM »
I was listening to an interview with Rob Hirst from Midnight Oil and he told the fascinating story of how he recorded the drum track for one of their songs from the 10 to 1 album in a toilet in Tokyo which gave me an idea...

If there are any other muso's or vocalists here, hobbyist or professional that are interested in recording a virtual jam read on....

Here is what I propose...
We all decide on a song to cover using the tempo and key of the original artist. 
Obviously you must be able to record your voice or chosen instrument in some sort of audio format transportable over the internet (MP3 is the best option). 

I play drums and I have the facility to mix down digital audio so everyone could send me their audio tracks and I'll mix them down into one MP3 and post a link here for all members to enjoy. If some of us are keen, we could take requests and do this on a regular basis to share with everyone here.

If anyone is interested please let me know in this thread the following info.

Instrument type (guitar, Bass, vocal, brass, Comb, lagerphone etc..):
Songs you'd like to play (list 4 or 5 of your favorites):
When you would be willing to record your part of the song:

Along with my drums we probably need at least Bass, rhythm/lead/acoustic guitar and vocals. Keyboards and brass would be a bonus.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: OER Music project
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 04:51:08 PM »
I'll start us off

Instrument type (guitar, Bass, vocal, brass, Comb, lagerphone etc..):  Drums
Songs you'd like to play (list 4 or 5 of your favorites): ACDC - thunderstuck, Deep Purple - smoke on the water, Living end - all torn down, Pink Floyd - Wish you were here. (I'm happy to play any song and any genre)
When you would be willing to record your part of the song: Anytime

Moi

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:48:36 PM »
lmao@me being a tone deaf monkey.
The world is not ready for some of us singing - well me anyhows lol
Still waiting for you all to sing "Oh Moi, I would give anything to be like you"  :rollin

So I can't sing and I can't play an instrument, what are us lemons supposed to do in this project?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 07:31:36 PM »

So I can't sing and I can't play an instrument, what are us lemons supposed to do in this project?

Become the group's manager, collect and keep all the royalties  :thumbsup ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »
Moi, go and rent the movie "School of Rock". After watching that, you'll know where your place will be in the band. (I think WP was very close to the mark) :rollin :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »
I'm in the Moi "can't sing, can't play" category as well lol. I've got a harmonica  :D which I sometimes muck around on for fun but don't ask me about notes and keys  :-\.

Songs you'd like to play (list 4 or 5 of your favorites): ACDC - thunderstuck, Deep Purple - smoke on the water, Living end - all torn down, Pink Floyd - Wish you were here.

Got a whole heap of mp3s (1,788 to be exact) if you need any tiga for mixing or samples. If you want to do something sacrilegeous - do the RFC theme song.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »
Thanks MT, I might take you up on that. :thumbsup Do you know of any other muso's here or am I wasting my time with this project?

I could upload some of my Drum tracks if anyone is interested which have midi instruments added in.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 02:00:17 PM »
Thanks MT, I might take you up on that. :thumbsup Do you know of any other muso's here or am I wasting my time with this project?

There's at least one but he might be a bit shy lol :shh. Check your PM. People would also need to know how to record something to their computer as a mp3 or wmv file.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd