Author Topic: Tigers still treading water  (Read 5581 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers still treading water
« on: May 11, 2004, 01:33:32 AM »
By Len Johnson
realfooty.theage.com.au
May 11, 2004

Richmond captain Wayne Campbell said yesterday the club still had a "long, long way to go" if it were to challenge as a top-eight side.

Perhaps it was the cold water of Port Phillip Bay as the Tigers did their recovery session after Sunday's grand win over Sydney at the SCG, but something provoked a dash of realism. Richmond had not been as bad as depicted during the "bleak month" from which it had just emerged, said Campbell, nor should it get too far ahead of itself after consecutive wins, even if one was a rare interstate victory.

"We've still got a long way to go," said Campbell. "What are we - 10th, 11th - and we consider ourselves to be a finals side? So, (we've got) a long, long way to go.

"We all knew in the bleak period of that month when we weren't going so well that all we needed was some confidence. I think the Hawthorn game gave us that."

Asked if renewed desperation had been the key, Campbell said he thought the Tigers had been "having a go" all the time. "I thought our attack was OK, we just needed to use the footy better. When you combine them both, that's when you get wins."

Matthew Richardson's return was an obvious boost to the Tigers. He kicked seven goals and gave another away to teammate Darren Gaspar, a massive contribution to a team total of 10.

"(Richardson was) certainly very good after three weeks out," said Campbell. "Probably his kicking for goal was as good as I've seen from him."

Richmond travelled to Sydney the day before Sunday's game. Campbell said the players had enjoyed the time together as a team but it was not a change in normal routine when they travel interstate.

"I suppose over last two years, we haven't played really good footy," the skipper said. "So when you go interstate, you're not going to do any good either. So there was nothing different - other than the result."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/05/10/1084041335861.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers still treading water
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 01:37:39 AM »
Campbell: We are finals material
11 May 2004   
Herald Sun
Michael Stevens

After winning their past two games against Sydney and Hawthorn, the Tigers are equal seventh on the ladder with Sydney, Geelong, Kangaroos and Carlton on 12 points.

But a poor percentage of 75.3 has them languishing in 11th spot.

Campbell conceded the Tigers still had a long way to go to prove themselves worthy finals prospects.

But he is buoyed by the team's performances in the past two rounds.

"We all knew during the bleak period of that month where we weren't going so well that we just needed some confidence, and I think the Hawthorn game gave us that," Campbell said yesterday during the side's recovery session at St Kilda Sea Baths.

"While we were bitterly disappointed with the way we were going, if we got a win somewhere, we thought could get on a little bit of a roll.

"So hopefully it can continue this week (against the Western Bulldogs at the MCG)."

Asked if the Tigers had been written off too early, Campbell replied: "We've still got a long way to go.

"I don't know where we're sitting -- 10th or 11th, something like that.

"And we consider ourselves a finals side, so (there is a) long, long way to go."

Richmond's upset win against the Swans in Sydney on Sunday was built on a seven-goal haul from star forward Matthew Richardson.

Campbell said Richardson had been in career-best touch after three weeks out with a hamstring injury.

"Probably his kicking for goal was as good as I've seen," he said.

"Even the one that he missed, he kicked it pretty well, but it just slid across the face of goal.

"I think he'd be pretty sore, like most players, but he pulled up well as far as I know."

Campbell, who had achilles tendon surgery last season, has gone from playing in the midfield to a half-back flank.

And he saw no reason to change a winning formula.

"I'm enjoying it back there and we've had a couple of wins, so I don't suppose they'll change the formula too much," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9526033%255E20322,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 07:42:57 AM »
Attention:  froars and all other female supporters

What the guys haven't included with these article in the pic of Richo coming out of the work in his Speedoes.  In reply to all those who said Richo was fat - I saw a huge chest and some ripples down in the abs department that were pleasing to the eye.  My only criticism is the guy could do with a waxing.  Overall, compared to some other footballers Richo's physique gets a thumb up from me but I wouldn't be including him in the Men For All Seasons Calendar yet.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 07:47:35 AM by julzqld »

2JD

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 08:41:09 AM »
thanks for that Julz. if that is fat I gotta get my hubby eating more pizza!!!! lol Call me old fashioned but I would leave the hairy chest. Nothing wrong with that pic at all!!  ;D ;)

froars

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 07:46:35 PM »
I'm not a Speedos girl Julz - but in this case i'll forgive you for posting this  ;)

Although he's got a lot of the Anthony Roccas about him - nothing that a good wax job wouldn't fix.

That's a joke BTW - imagine Richo having a wax job - one giant dummy spit  ;D

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 08:16:30 PM »
LMAOOO at Richo adjusting his boys  ;D
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 08:56:30 PM »
The icebergs were just out of shot, so probably adjusting his socks. Not a good look when they slip around the back.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Ox

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 09:30:01 PM »

LMAOOO Harry.

He spotted the camera and went for the prop up job after the chilli splash.

LMAOOO In the previous two shots he was hitting his tummy  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:31:47 PM by Ox »

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 10:33:23 PM »
There was an article over the page where Richo complained to the journo about taking the photo while wearing speedos in freezing temperatures....SHRINKAGE!!!!! LMAO
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 11:51:50 PM »
David Hasslehoff eat your heart out! lmfaoooo!

LMFAOOOOOOO@the prop up job.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 07:49:02 AM »
Something I'm sure all you blokes can relate to.