Author Topic: Cogs Gone Again  (Read 8734 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cogs Gone Again
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2007, 07:40:32 PM »

And Cogs did the same thing during the Hawks game. Hurt his knee, went off and then came back on before it completely went on him.

Another thing that stood out for me in terms of training was that Cogs just had compression bandages around his recovering knee while over at the Dogs training Murphy still is wearing some sort of proper knee brace even when kicking the footy. Now Cogs knee may have gone anyway anytime soon as the graft hadn't come good like it should have but slipping in a shower when you're coming back from a ACL is something that should be avoidable  :-\.

Yeah I saw the pic of Murphy in the HUN the other day. Didn't Rehn wear one of those braces when he came back from reco number 2 or 3, same with Primus?

I wonder if the wearing a brace/not wearing the brace has to do with how severe the original injury was.

They say Will Thursfield's knee was a "bad one" and that Cogs wasn't.

I wonder if that's what they mean when they described some blokes as having "ruptured their ACL" as opposed to having "snapped their ACL".

The other thing I was wondering was - how do they monitor if the graft is healing well? MRI or something else? And what can they do if the graft is not healing properly.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2007, 03:12:33 AM »
They get paid that kind of money for this exact scenario. Potentially finished at just 25 with injuries that'll effect them for the rest of their life.

Not really. The players union might have some miniscule role in controlling salaries, but they get paid that money because its a competitive market and there are lots of consumers (us) who are willing to pay thru our arzes. I can't imagine Andrew Demetriou sitting back saying 'lets pay our employees so that they have an better life after footy if they get injured' any more than he might say 'lets pay them more because trade qualifications are becoming more attractive to kids'.

The bloke is set for life, is a celeb, has travelled the world, prob r00ted more hot women than i've had hot dinners and at last check had a pretty nice girlfriend, all on a six-figure salary and living out his boyhood dreams. Think I'll save whatever sympathy I have for a more worthy recipient.

True about the competitive market controlling the $$$ in the game Jake but Andy D would know that with no deal with the AFLPA there'd be no players, no comp. Similar to what happened with World Series Cricket. Part of that AFLPA agreement would contain $$$ as part of the players' salaries to compensate for the risk of serious injury. In the past VFL footballers played for the love of the game no matter what while working full-time jobs but in the professional era of speed, bigger bodies and harder collisions, players want their share and given the massive $$$ pumped into the game from TV rights I don't begrudge what they earn. We shouldn't return to the days of Royce giving 10 years of heroics and enjoyment to Tiger fans while getting basically sweet FA in return except for two totally stuffed knees for the rest of his life. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2007, 03:28:01 AM »
Yeah I saw the pic of Murphy in the HUN the other day. Didn't Rehn wear one of those braces when he came back from reco number 2 or 3, same with Primus?

I wonder if the wearing a brace/not wearing the brace has to do with how severe the original injury was.

They say Will Thursfield's knee was a "bad one" and that Cogs wasn't.

I wonder if that's what they mean when they described some blokes as having "ruptured their ACL" as opposed to having "snapped their ACL".

The other thing I was wondering was - how do they monitor if the graft is healing well? MRI or something else? And what can they do if the graft is not healing properly.

I'm no doctor but I'd reckon they have to redo it if the graft isn't healing properly. The knee would be unstable. Wallace said tests showed Cogs' knee was structuredly ok so obviously the scans didn't pick up the problem  :(.

Thursty only wore a compression bandage around his knee too before having the pins removed despite the horrific nature of the way he did his knee.  Rehn did wear a brace by the time he had done his knee a few times. Primus had what looked like a mattress around his leg.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2007, 10:54:19 AM »

I don't begrudge what they earn.

Thats fair enough mate. I'm more reacting to the outpouring of sympathy. I've no more sympathy for the footballer who gets injured than the merchant banker who works 100 hours a week 51 weeks a year and ends up in an institution.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2007, 04:06:07 AM »
What happens with Cogs' contract?

Does he get an automatic one-year extension to his existing contract due to his season being written off through another ACL? Didn't Rodan receive one after doing his knee  ???.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2007, 08:27:18 AM »

Does he get an automatic one-year extension to his existing contract due to his season being written off through another ACL? Didn't Rodan receive one after doing his knee  ???.
Rodan did get the one year automatic extension, so Cogs should too. I think it's covered in the CBA.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

letsgetiton!

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »
lets hope cogs does the right thing by richmond and retire!!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 02:32:07 PM »

Rodan did get the one year automatic extension, so Cogs should too. I think it's covered in the CBA.

Cheers FF  :).

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2007, 03:58:00 AM »
Dont see the swans or West Coast having too many injury problems lately

;)

"West Coast's intra-club match at Subiaco Oval on Friday evening has come at a price, with classy defender Mark Nicoski dislocating his shoulder during the gruelling hit-out." - afl.com.au

Jackstar

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2007, 11:05:53 AM »
Although at the past 2 grand finals, they have most of there gun up and running.
Think of our team over the past few years, we have limped in the last few rounds of the year

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 04:50:23 PM »
Although at the past 2 grand finals, they have most of there gun up and running.
Think of our team over the past few years, we have limped in the last few rounds of the year

No depth and nowhere near enough decent let alone A-grade midfielders meant too much was left to too few. These few are stuffed by the second half of the year as niggle after niggle builds up through the year. At Richmond it's been like that for the past decade. Even if they become superstars, if we think a midfield of just Lids, Tambo, Foley and Polo will give us success over the next decade then nothing will change. You need now 12 midfield rotation at least these days. The Eagles, Swans and Doggies would have 16. In West Coast's case that includes Cox  :-\.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 10:50:47 PM »
I was just reading the EOTT articles on Cogs and Sean Callender mentions Luke Darcy and how Cogs has age on his side in terms of making a comeback from two knee recos. Made me think if there was any midfielder that come back from two knees? David Schwarz had 4 knees reconstructions and Shaun Rehn came back from a couple but they were both talls. Off the top of my head I can't think of one midfielder ???. Did Greg Williams do his knee once or twice? 

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 02:35:52 AM »
I was just reading the EOTT articles on Cogs and Sean Callender mentions Luke Darcy and how Cogs has age on his side in terms of making a comeback from two knee recos. Made me think if there was any midfielder that come back from two knees? David Schwarz had 4 knees reconstructions and Shaun Rehn came back from a couple but they were both talls. Off the top of my head I can't think of one midfielder ???. Did Greg Williams do his knee once or twice? 

Shaun McmAnus?
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cogs to take mentoring role (The Age)
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 03:15:03 AM »
Tigers keen for injured Coughlan to take mentoring role
Steve Butler
West Australian
February 16, 2007

RICHMOND midfielder Mark Coughlan has been offered a match-day role in Terry Wallace's coaching box this year as part of his rehabilitation after a second season-ending knee injury.

The Tigers' 2003 club champion was devastated to learn last week that he would need his second knee reconstruction in eight months. It is believed the latest blow could have been caused by a slip in the shower before Christmas.

Coughlan met Wallace and Richmond football manager Paul Armstrong yesterday and was offered several roles within the club, including a match-day position and mentoring younger players.

The star 24-year-old is expected to visit his surgeon early next week and will have his latest reconstruction within a fortnight. He is then expected to tell the club of his decision on what role he will play during the season.

Coughlan had battled groin soreness for most of 2004 and was getting back to his best when he injured his right knee when playing against Hawthorn in round 12 at Launceston last year.

Armstrong said: "He was in this morning and his spirits were good. When we were down at the community camp we told him we'd have some opportunities to be involved if he wanted to be.

"We set those out for him today and if he wants to take them up, that's really up to him. We still want him to have a strong connection with the group, whether he's always doing his rehab here or elsewhere."

Coughlan has played 83 games in six seasons at Richmond since being recruited from Perth. His contract runs out at the end of the season, but Armstrong said that issue would not be discussed until after his operation.

Richmond has an intra-club match tonight.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/02/15/1171405370183.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 04:07:10 AM »

Shaun McmAnus?

He was a pain in the butt last year when we last played Freo  :scream

You're right fwoy. Two knee recos in his first 4 years of AFL. Mcmanus was a few years younger than Cogs as well at 21.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/08/12/1154803146297.html