Author Topic: Joel Bowden the midfielder?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Joel Bowden the midfielder?
« on: February 21, 2007, 02:14:21 AM »
Should Joel get a run in the midfield if Polak can hold down CHB?

Cubs inspire Bowden
3:47:42 PM Tue 20 February, 2007
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

With new recruit Graham Polak set to hold down a key defensive post, Bowden was eyeing off a move further up the field despite his All-Australian form of last season down back.

"When anyone asks me what my favourite position is I say, 'full forward', but they won't let me play there," he said with a grin.

"But I would like to get in the midfield and have a run around and try and kick a few goals - that's the most enjoyable part. I only got three last year, so it would be nice to get a couple more this year.

"Depending on the team that we play and depending on a few injuries, it might allow me to get up into the midfield again. I played in there four or five years ago and haven't seen it since, but footy changes quickly.

"It just depends and we'll see how it goes. I wouldn't mind getting a run in the midfield, but team structure and team balance always overrides that."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=315595

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: Joel Bowden the midfielder?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:31:05 AM »
With Newman coming back from injury, Raines growing in confidence, White getting a few games under his belt, P.Bowden becoming more of a JB type, Gas and Polak holding down key possitions and an injury free Moore and Thursfiled, there is plenty of scope to rotate JBowden in the middle.

JB's best position is off half back, but with the lack of midfield class, I think it's a great idea to give him longer stints in the middle.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:47:39 PM »
Personally I feel that in defence he plays his best and most accountable footy. Best and fairests in the last few years indicate this. In the past in midfield his impact has been much less as indicated in him being dropped from the side in 2004and a few sub standard performances there before that due to lack of intencity. If it aint broke don't fix it. Leave him as the quarterback of the defence and let Pat play that Kouta circa 2000 role. Guys like Howat Deledio Foley Polo P Bowden Hyde have shown enough poise and class to indicate they have a prosperous future playing in the midfield.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »

no no and no ...

i think he is not quick enough or a midfield role ...

up forward maybe ... but i do agree with "H.T 74" that his best is in the back line ...

i think he doesn't waste the ball as much as he used too ...

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 04:19:43 PM »

no no and no ...

i think he is not quick enough or a midfield role ...

He's quicker than our very own Captain Courageous Kane Johnson so I don't think you can use speed as an excuse to keep him out. IMO he doesn't have the intestinal fortitude required for a heavily tagged in and under midfielder. He doesn't like people breathing down his neck. He likes to do the breathing. He likes space and time to shimmy so that rules him out of the engine room. Backline for me or pushed forward for another attacking option.

Moi

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:35:06 PM »
In his early years, he didn't mind a bit of crash and bash, but then he did his shoulder and I reckon the physicality in his game left him then.  But he did like a goal or two then, so wouldn't mind seeing him venture back there again.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »
Yeah, broke his collarbone twice in less than a year. Was apparently told if he broke it again his footy career was finished, so understandable he opted out of the crash and bash.

I reckon he could play well anywhere on the ground. I smiled when I read he'd like to play full-forward because I've always wanted him to play there.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

blx

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 05:10:21 PM »
he's been there before (up front) with limited success (his 3 baulk goal THE highlight)

Midfield forget it! he's been crunched and tried there many many times but could nt get the pill enough times to be damaging.

The backline is his rightful home. He's a general who likes to move the pawns around, to organise the battlefield from the back. Thats his strength.

I agree with whom ever said "dont fix it if it aint broke".

Leave him where his cap fits!

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 05:56:18 PM »
Don't think he's ever lined up at full-forward. Not that I can recall, anyway. Pretty sure he was playing midfield when he kicked the multi-baulk goal.
In 2002 he played mostly midfield and wing plus tagging players such as Buckley. He got the pill 507 times and had 7th most kicks in the competition. Is that enough times?

Maybe the backline is his best position. Maybe not though.
He reads the play as well as anyone in the game now and in the last 3 seasons. He's played in the backline in that time. If his position down back can be covered he might as well be tried in different positions when it suits the team. Only way to find out if he's even better and more value elsewhere on the field.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
Agree blx - Went to the Cranbourne praccy match the other day and he really stood out in the backline with his talk and marshalling of the troops when he got the pill.
Maybe a go now and then up forward but he just wouldn't have the time to use it in the midfield these days the way he plays.

And you also have to remember if he plays midfield his brother would have to play forward, otherwise he would allways be kicking backwards  ;D

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
And you also have to remember if he plays midfield his brother would have to play forward, otherwise he would allways be kicking backwards  ;D

Best argument I've read against him moving up the ground.  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 05:10:06 AM »
The game with Joel's multi-baulk goal was the last time we beat the Saints  :-\.

Don't think he's ever lined up at full-forward. Not that I can recall, anyway. Pretty sure he was playing midfield when he kicked the multi-baulk goal.

IIRC Spud tried Joel forward, perhaps in a FP, in a couple of games in 2001 against the Crows and Hawks. In both games he tried to dummy around the man on the mark while have a set shot on goal and turned over the ball. He seemed to be banned from the forward line after that lol.

Like you FF I've always wanted Joel to play at FF and now he has the maturity not to try unnecessary fancy crap that use to get him into trouble.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 05:39:45 PM »
Whilst the immediate thought is backline, it's worth a try again for sure.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:55:56 PM »
In 2002 he played mostly midfield and wing plus tagging players such as Buckley. He got the pill 507 times and had 7th most kicks in the competition. Is that enough times?

fitzroys last game in melb against us IIRC joel had a stint at fullforward.
it was very early in his career , and in that game richo took a then reord amount of marks and was unstoppable!
joel kicked a few from ff and marked and lead strongly

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:33 PM »
We were against a deflated Fitzroyopponent and won that match by 151 points one week before the Lions ceased to exist as Fitzroy. I am sure that was just an experiment due to the lopsided scores that dayon Robert Walls behalf. The more I hear about the midfield the more I believe leave him where he is. The youngsters coming up are doing a fine job the way things stand. In some games Joel has looked very tentative in midfield especially against the more physical teams such as North, Brisbane, Melbourne and Essendon circa 99-03.
I still remember the train wreck of a match in rd 22 98 when he was in the midfield and was bouncing across half back and eventually got caught by Neitz who goaled at a time when we were getting ourselves back into the match just before half time.  Or the time against the crows in rd 8 2001 when he played up forward. We were 4 goals up going into quarter time and he tried to juggle a mark on his own to gain a few extra metres from 35 out. Umpire called play on. Instead of going in at qt time 5 up Adel got two and the margin was 13 pts at qtr time. For me he is more accountable in defence and he plays the quarter back role marshalling the troops very very very well.  As I posted earlier It aint broke do not fix it. If anything our defence may be seen as our achilles heel this year as it was last year until it gels. Leave him in there he relishes the role.